Compact tractor vs skid steer

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #1  

chrise

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM 273
Hi Guys

I was all set to buy a Mahindra or Kioti, 25hp with FEL for 17 acres in New England. Gentle hills, lots of bull briar, needs a lot of York rake, grass planting type activity, ripping out bull briars and so on. We have a couple of roughish fields - could mow these with a dedicated ride on lawn mower instead of an attachment I guess.Also will use FEL for moving wood etc. Not much need of snow plowing -I have a guy with a truck do that.

So, I was ready to spend 13-14K maybe with 0% down (why not, saves equity line!) when someone made a very good case for a Bobcat - power, smaller to maneuver between trees, wouldn't get stuck so much as a 4wd tractor, plenty of rentable attachments.

Trouble is they're pricey new AND used (maybe 15K for a used one) and no 0%!

Any thoughts on how much of a difference there is between small 25hp 4wd Kioti or Mahindra and lowest end Bobcat? Also I want my wife to use it (sure!). Is she going to have more trouble with one than another?

Thanks a lot for any help.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #2  
I'll save us all some time and send you to a huge discussion that's already been done. General consenus I think for you will be tractor.
Tractor VS Skid Steer

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #3  
<font color="blue"> someone made a very good case for a Bobcat - power, smaller to maneuver between trees, wouldn't get stuck so much as a 4wd tractor </font>

Can't help much, but unless, and perhaps even if, it has tracks, you may find it gets stuck more than a 4WD compact...

From what I have read/seen the skid steer is better suited to construction sites where things are more or less flat, than woods and fields...

But I defer to those who have more experience with them.

Myself, I doubt I would ever replace my compact tractor with a skid steer...

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #4  
chrise,

As soon as my ground is just a little wet......a few minutes of rain..I will get the bobcat stuck. And the more I try to unstick the deeper the short wheelbase of the skidsteer gets. Its not a problem because I have a 4x4 yanmar and pull the bobcat out (4 times in April)

Now my neighbor has the skidsteer, and I have pulled him out 4 times last June.

Mark

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #5  
I've used both and would easily choose the tractor over the SSL. SSL's will bottom out more easily and just about beat you to death with that short wheelbase.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #6  
Both have there place. However, if you have some serious landscaping, earthmoving, land clearing, rock moving, stump digging, areas you want level and productivity, go with the Bobcat. All the heavy work on my place was done with my Bobcats over the years. After all the major work was completed, I looked for a more general purpose machine which turned out to be a Kubota L3430 CUT. I still own a small Bobcat for intricate loader work.

Bobcats have tremendous resale value. You can buy a used one, use it for a couple of years and get close to what you paid for it when you sell it.

As far as the wife goes, I believe the tractor would be more intuitive, especially if it has hydrostatic. Even though I know a few gals that can operate a Bobcat like a pro.

OrangeGuy

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #7  
I sell compact tractors, but I also own a Bobcat for when I need to move a bunch of dirt/gravel, etc. in a hurry. They are super good as a front end loader, fast and accurate. You can see the entire bucket edge when working allowing precise grading along a curb, or up against a house or whatever.

Beyond that, I prefer a tractor. A compact tractor is more comfortable and I think more versatile for the small land owner.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #8  
A tracked loader would run circles around a CUT in the mud. I ran a 6000lb 50hp Cat where my B8200 2000lb Kuboa was getting stuck and making a real mess. I would though, have got stuck with a skid steer too...

The ASVi RC30 is a good comp to a Kubota B2910; both 30hp.

A skidsteer will beat you up. I have used Bobcat machines, the tiny 36" wide 463, and the newer S150 and S185. They can do a lot of work, but can also bounce you good. This is a guess, but I think all skidsteers would be similar.

The track loaders such as the ASVi RC 30 have a suspended chassis. Like riding in a Cadillac.

Anything you can do with a CUT, you could do with a skidsteer or track-loader. Ya, plowing might be a challenge, but they make em. Mow, grade, load, pull brush, dig post holes...

The big thing I see is implements. Hydraulic implements for a skid/track loader are hydraulic and more expensive than the pto stuff for a CUT. However, you can usually rent the implements too... Folks here have mentioned renting 3pt stuff, but it must be regional. Out here, if you rent 3pt equipment, you rent thier tractor too.

It is interesting to read the Bobcat story at thier web page. The first "Bobcat" s were made by/for a North Dakota farmer for cleaning out his barns.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #9  
The ASV machines Robert talks about are awesome. ASV is part of CAT. If I was into landscaping, that would be what I would use first. NO question I can get a Bobcat stuck in muddy conditions much, much easier then a 4WD tractor. The Bobcat bury's itself quickly and once stuck, they are a bear to unstick. As Dave mentions, you can move more material faster in a Bobcat then just about any tractor I have ever used. Their nimbleness is unmatched, but you also pay the price on the surface. On paved surfaces, they leave a mess of rubber. On turf, it adequately removes it. Loading trucks on slopes can be a challenge. They are very good machines, much versatility, but for general purpose uses, the regular old CUT is tough to beat.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #10  
a tractor is the way to go. I have spent lots of time on each. They tear when they turn, they're heavy as hell, boucy & bumpy ride, poor visibilty & over priced. The only thing I have to say is mahindra & kioti are more like a Hyundai car & a bobcat is more like a cadillac. Compare kubota or deere to the bobcat... the deere & kubota resale are the same as the bobcat & quality.