Older subcompacts or big garden tractors?

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #1  

wbc6

Tractor
Cub Cadet 122
Wow - great site, I've killed a whole afternoon so far. I have a relatively small yard (1.5 acres) to play in, and I'd really like something along the lines of a subcompact like the Simplicity Legacy. Unfortunately a new tractor or even a newer used one is way out of my price range. I have an old Cub Cadet 122 that constantly amazes me with its ruggedness and pulling ability, and I'm thinking of building a loader for an older Cub Cadet. I'd really like something just a little bigger, though. So my question is, are there any older garden tractors ou there that are overbuilt like my CC but just a little heavier that might be able to handle a small loader? I'm not looking to move tons of material, just mulch, snow, etc. I'm not adverse to modifying spindles, bearings, etc to strengthen them, I just want to start with the strongest base possible.

Thanks in advance!

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #2  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...I've killed a whole afternoon so far. )</font>

Only an afternoon? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

A lot of us have killed a couple of years!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sorry I can't help with your question. I just wanted to suggest that you might get a better response if you post your question in the Lawn and Garden forum. You'll find it a little further down the Main Index page.

Hope you find the answer to your question. Although I'd be VERY surprised if you didn't. They don't call this the TBN Brain Trust for nothing! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #3  
What kind of budget are we looking at here?

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #4  
Hi...

What is your price range...?
Cost to build a loader and buy a tractor ?

There are older garden size and some larger tractors like Power Kings that may already have a loader...

Dave...

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors?
Thanks Golfgar, I didn't go down far enough to find the L&G forum.

I should have mentioned my budget - CHEAP! I'm thinking $1k or less for a tractor that needs some work, and another $1k for materials for the loader. I have access to a full machine shop, welders, etc, so fabrication is not a problem. I have seen garden tractors with loaders for sale, but the prices seem exorbitant, even for really rough ones. I think I can invest a little "sweat equity" and end up with a lot more for less $.

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #6  
Hi...

Maybe a Gravely...

My ~1985 Gravely is 6 feet long... engine is in the rear... weight there will help offset the loader...

The engine has a PTO in the front (under driver's seat) that maybe could power a hydraulic pump...

It's built pretty beefy... dunno if it will handle a loader...

Dave...

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #7  
While there are quite a few old Deere garden tractor models that would probably meet your size/ruggedness requirements - I think any of them that would be in good enough shape to be worth working with are going to be way out of the price range you set yourself.

You like your 122 - why not stay in the Cub family? I beat the tar out of a 128 years ago, I'll vouch for the tough part. How about a 149 (if you want a hydro and a little more power). Do some searching on line - you'll find a ton of info on the old Cub Cadets. One of the weak points (especially with a loader) is the 3/4" front spindles. There are several sites with info on upgrading them to 1". (Easy job if you're up to building a loader). Check CadPlans for loader info and pics.

Probably at least twice your budget but an interesting option (staying in the 'family') would be an old International (or Farmall) Cub (not a Cadet) with the IH 1000 loader. Tremendous support out there for those.

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #8  
try this guy pnf for some help.

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #9  
A potential tractor choice for you would be an old Case or Ingersoll 400 series tractor. You might get lucky and find a 644 or 646 model; they came with a FEL attached. If you find the right unit, you might be able to get tractor and loader for $2000-3000.
Will

/ Older subcompacts or big garden tractors? #10  
Here's a link I picked up on another thread on this board you may want to check out, it doesn't have the lift like the earlier mentioned link, but may fit your bill. http://www.johnnyproducts.com/ they have one for the Cub Cadet 122.