Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #1  

Todd_C

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 40A
I have to maintain about a one mile gravel road to get to my 8 acres. I have used a 8N that is owned by the homeowner's association, but I want my own tractor. I mow about 21/2acres with a garden tractor that is on it's last bit of life. I will use the new tractor to mow, plow snow, maintain the drive, and to replace dirt in eroded areas. My property has a few steep hills, so this will be a factor in choosing a tractor.

I have looked at the MF GC2300, but wonder if it is big enough. I am also considering the following compacts: NH TC30, JD 790, and the MF1928. At this time, I like the TC30 because of price. I also like the small size of the 2300 for mowing, but wonder if it will be able to drag gravel.

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #2  
The one mile gravel road would rule out a sub-compact, at least to my way of thinking. It sounds like you will need every one of the compacts you mentioned, if not even a bit larger. If you will be using a box blade or a stone rake on 1 mile of road, I would think that you would want to use at least a 6' unit to save on time. A sub would be better for your mowing, but I would hate to work that much road with a 4' implement.
Will

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #3  
The TC30 is a nice machine and priced right. I believe you can get it equipped with hydro, which would be handy and you'd easily have enough tractor for the chores you mention. The JD 790 is also a well made tractor, but no hydro available, if you care. Can't really go wrong with either, so drive both and let the reputation and helpfulness of your dealer be a factor in your decision. Try to shop at at least 2 dealers for each brand you're interested in and get written prices from them all. You might be surprized at the variety of pricing and deals out there.
I don't think I'd go smaller than those two, but others here may tell you otherwise. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Charley

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #4  
The sub will do all of the jobs you have mentioned, and would probably do them well. However, Will is right, it becomes a time consideration thing. I would think you would be better off with a regular compact like some of those you mentioned, as well as some others like Kioti and Kubota. With a lawn that size as well as that driveway, I would own something that would handle a 6 foot implement (box blade, mower, etc.). I would also recommend you strongly consider a machine with position control on the 3ph if you're going to maintain that much gravel driveway. If you intend to mow with it, try to stay on the lighter side of the scales on the overall package, especially if there are soft areas on your lawn. Let us know what you decide.

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #5  
Hi,

have a look at the 1400 series MF

take care

Will

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #6  
<font color="blue"> The sub will do all of the jobs you have mentioned, and would probably do them well. However, Will is right, it becomes a time consideration thing... </font>

I guess I would beg to differ...I have a sub and a compact and they are not in the same class.

The compact is a work horse...the sub tries but is not able to work as hard or do as much.

I say forget the subcut and get something that will WORK for you.

That being said, I don't mean to come down on the subcuts, especially since I own one. It is just that from what I have seen they are in the subcut class. Just like my cut is in the cut class and won't stand up against a larger tractor.

Each time you spend a little more you get a lot more for your dollar.

Think it out, stand back and consider, and then do what your gut says is right for you.

After considering all the advice you get from TBN, of course... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #7  
Once upon a time, far far away and long ago, a friend told me this about buying a tractor:

You can do small work with a big tractor, but you can't do big work with a small tractor.

I'm not suggesting you buy a 80 horse machine, but will try to encourage you to buy the biggest tractor that fits within your needs. Cost is a HUGE factor, i wasn't born with deep pockets and understand that part of the equation very well. Consider your purchase a one time affair and then amortorize the purchase over say..30 years. Buy it once and be done with it. I have almost the same situation you describe here at home, except I don't do road maintinence. I bought a used JD 1050 (33 hp) 21 years ago and it has been the best money I ever spent. Just big enough to handle my chores, yet not unwieldy. I use a 5' finish mower to mow 2 acres of grass on a regular basis....there is no looking back to a smaller machine. If I had the cash, i'd buy a new JD 4720 with all the bells and whistles.

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> The sub will do all of the jobs you have mentioned, and would probably do them well. However, Will is right, it becomes a time consideration thing... </font>

I guess I would beg to differ...I have a sub and a compact and they are not in the same class.

)</font>

Henro - if he had a 1/2 acre lawn and a 500' gravel drive, would the sub do the work? I think it would - the only difference is he has way more than that of both. I never implied that they were in the same class for capability, only that he could do the work with a sub if he wanted to spend the time. I agree completely that he needs a compact tractor to do what he needs to do in a practical amount of time.

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #9  
Check out the new Kioti CK30. It's large enough to do all you want to do and more, without being overbearingly large. It also has a lot of standard extras that cost more on some other brands.
Available in HST and shuttle shift gear ones should be coming soon. John

/ Need Advice on New Tractor: SubCompact or Compact #10  
Re: CK30 </font><font color="blue" class="small">( It also has a lot of standard extras that cost more on some other brands. )</font>

John I've seen where you've stated this a number of times... can you be more specific about the "standard extras" (if it's standard is it really an extra? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) that would be extra on others... and what others?

Thanks,