john deere 4720 or case ih dx55

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #1  

CHRYSLER

Tractor
2003 JD 4310, FEL, JD brushog ,JD 855 FEL,backhoe, tiller,post hole digger,box blade, 1997Cub 2197 , 1953 Cub , 2004 cub cadet 54" zero turn
any recomendations on the purchase of a JD4720 or a CASE IH dx55? Seems the IH is a bit less expensive but the JD has a hydro trans vs the IH 12/12 with reverser.
thanks BOB

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #2  
Neither! If you are going to spend that kind of money. I would opt for the Kubota Grand L5030 Hydro with factory cab. Proven machine and top market seller! Once you have experienced the air conditioned and heated cab you will not go back.

Check it out! I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised.

OrangeGuy

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #3  
Bob,
I dont know much about the CASE IH dx55 but I can tell you what made me go with the older 4510. It was the dealer and the dealer network. I looked at a number of different brands and when it came down to it the differences were pretty small. Kubota, JD and New Holland all were in the running but what turned the corner was the fact that not only did I like the JD dealer better or the the fact that I thought his Service dept was better but I felt that there were a fair number of good JD dealers in my driving range. There was one great NH dealer but if they had problems I was not sure who I would go to.

I am not very mechanical so I really wanted a dealer that would help me during the sale and particularly after the sale.

Lastly, I suspect that, for me, even if the dealer was not an issue I would have gone with the JD. It just felt better to me.

You really cant go to far wrong so enjoy the process.
Mark

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #4  
What will you use the tractor and that much power for?

I just bought a 4710 (rougly equal in power to the new 4320 - scrambling like mad to avoid the new Twenty series for my own specific usage reasons) - but since I got into this as the Twentys were just arriving - I've been having a hard time figuring out what you could use the extra power of a 4720 for in a tractor of that chassis size . Not to run most ag equipment - it's too light for most anything that needs that much hp. Possibly not even for mowing - any rotary or bat-wing needing that much power is going to be a lot of mower for a large frame compact to control.

The DX55 is a just bit bigger, with just enough longer wheelbase, and heavier overall - that there the power makes just a little more sense. There's a lot more hitch capacity and a bit more FEL capacity on the Farmall as well. Don't get me wrong - with all of 10 hours on the clock I really like my 4710 - but the DX55 looks like a better chassis-to-power match to me for that much tractor.

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #5  
I would say how far away is the JD dealer versus your Case/Ih dealer? Which one do you like best? Which dealer is going to help you out when you need it. Answer those questions and you'll have your answer. Hydro is great for some, some it isnt. Throw all those into the hat, and you'll have your decision. Personally I like green stuff /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #6  
<font color="red">I've been having a hard time figuring out what you could use the extra power of a 4720 for in a tractor of that chassis size </font>

You obviously haven't used your tractor enough Tim. I could use that extra power every day!!! The 8' mower, disc, rake, boxblade, pulling wagons, moving hay, harrow, the list goes on and on. With all of these and more chores I often find myself wishing for a little more hp so that I could do the jobs at max. speed.

If I wanted a hydro I would go for the 4720. It is a very nice unit. The reason I would go for it over the other one is because of the more compact size. Depending on what you are using the tractor for I really enjoy these compact tractors for tight spaces.

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #7  
I soooo agree. 48hp sounds good, but it doesnt take much to pull it down. 58 hp would be neato! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You obviously haven't used your tractor enough Tim )</font>

Heck I hardly can sneak away to use it at all! (so far). Just seemed after all the discussions of what a CUT can and can't be expected to safely do - that the jobs that really do require a 50hp PTO tractor (etc) could well be a little unsafe with a tractor that size.

I would have been very interested in the Farmall DX55 myself except the only local dealer (who carries several brands) had 25+ Cub Cadet CUTs and 15+ Mahindra (sp?) CUTs on the lot - and not a Case/Farmall to be seen. Anywhere. This is a dealer that goes back to IH days so it wasn't a new line for them. I didn't even get out of the Jeep, just kept going. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But it would definitely have been my 2nd choice to my 4710 - and possibly 1st choice over the Twenty series. Seems like a nice machine.

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55 #9  
I just got my 4720 just over a week ago.
My old massey is feeling neglected - I wonder if anyone has even started it since the 4720 arrived /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm really impressed with it so far, I will admit I"m not by any means an expert.

Info on this site made me lean toward green.
I've always liked green anyhow.
I have a deere dealer very close, also a IH dealer but he didn't come as highly recommended - the deere guys I know well. ( hint hint go with a dealer your trust )

I dont know whether the 58 hp is to much for a tractor of this size or not... But it is nice not having to worry about lugging down - and when the tractor is not new anymore and perhaps the power is fadding a bit - I will still have plenty of power.
I didn't want any larger frame - as I have an orchard and tractor width is a factor for me..

I was tempted a bit by the Grand L partly because of the cab options but that was putting me well over what I wanted to spend. I tend to jump on/off the tractor a lot so I dont wanna mess with a door.

I went for the 4720 as it was the max hp for the model series - the flagship as deere calls it - and comes with a few things standard that are options on the 4120-4520.

Was it worth the extra bucks - heck I dunno. But I would rather spend the money to be sure I have enough than to regret not getting it later.

More power is always good - even if you dont really need it.

/ john deere 4720 or case ih dx55
I am leaning towards the deere also since I have a 2003 4310 but since I aquired some additional land I felt that I should go bigger. When we bought the 4310 the wife told me to get the 4710 but i felt the 4310 would do, should have listened to her.
Can I ask how much you paid for your 4720 The one I priced was 24500.00
thanks for the info