Advice needed for used tractor purchase

/ Advice needed for used tractor purchase #1  

crazycritterguy

I recently bought a 12.5 acre mini farm....also bought a scag turf tiger to mow it....I have decided that I also need a tractor to do some of the occasional ...., well, tractor work....around the place. Here's the problems. My budget is 6K max, so a new one is out. I don't know enough about tractors in general to feel qualified to pick a good used from a junk used tractor either. I basically need something that can pull a back blade for the 1000' gravel driveway, operater a PTO post hole digger, a 4 or 5' bush hog, and other general farm chores...I'd love a FEL also, but I don't know if that would be in my price range.....Guys (& Gals)...guide me...what kind? What HP? What do I need to think about? Thanks, Brian

/ Advice needed for used tractor purchase #2  
Are you going to be doing any hay work ? Any tillage for crops ? Moving large round bales of hay ?

/ Advice needed for used tractor purchase
nope....all the grass i have gets cut with the scag...just a "utility" machine is what I think I need.... I saw a ford 2000 with 25 hours on a rebuilt engine....dealer will guarantee the engine for a year...4700 hours showing on the gauge otherwise...he wants $4600.00 for it....sounds kinda high to me though..no FEL...tractor only too.

/ Advice needed for used tractor purchase #4  
I think you will find a loader for your tractor VERY handy. I use mine for everything and call it my backsaver /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you do your own repairs ? If so you can go cheaper and do a little fixup on your own. If you depend on dealers for repairs the Ford might not be a bad deal at all considering the engine warranty. Try to get him to throw in a loader ( used) for about 1k more and that will be a decent deal. The 2000 and 3000 fords seem to be fairly high on resale value for their size.

Whatever you buy try it out first, make sure the brakes, transmission, PTO, etc work ok. And unless the person you have bought it from had done so change all of the fluids so you know when they will need changing again.

MF135's are good little utility tractors, The Fords are good, long as they have a live PTO. Of course Kubota and JD are good as well, just more pricey.

Do not buy a "refurbished" impoort from SE Asia. They are quite often nicely painted junk. People over there are fairly poor and do not get rid of something till it is mostly worn out.

Just take your time and you will find a good deal, they are out there just be patient. I found a 68 IH 2444 with industrial loader for 4k a couple of years ago, and have seen similiar priced rigs advertised.

/ Advice needed for used tractor purchase #6  
If that ford 2000 is in ok condition.. and has a rebuilt engine.. it will probably kick for another couple thousand hours.

Used from a dealer is safer than used from a roadside sale.

Other alternatives are new chineese units. You can get a new chineese tractor with loader for the 6k$ you want to spend.

Buying aused chineese unit will be similar to a used tractor purchase. They are both hands on machines.. that require a bit of wrench turning now and then.

Soundguy