Neophyte buying a tractor needs help.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #11  
Geoff, I got my CK20HST, loader, backhoe and boxblade for $16,681 plus tax. It has been an amazing little tractor that has done SO many things I didn't think a tractor this size would.
If you contact customer service at Kioti, customer_service@kiotitractor.com , they may be able to give you a dealer closer to you. Sometimes there are some that haven't gotten onto the website, and they will be able to tell you what's close.
Good hunting, and let us know how it's going. John

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #12  
Kioti John has it right -- his recommendation of machine and price fits what you say you need, just make sure the loader will reach over the side of your dump bed (I don't know the spec). I don't think you'll find an L2800/L3400, JD 790 or TC 30 that low, more like 19+k. Looking back on your original post, a Kubota B series may work fine too, as long as you don't go much beyond the work described.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #13  
If ground clearance is a big issue then make sure you look at any tractor you consider with the backhoe you intend on getting attached and see what the actual ground clearance is. I know when I went looking I noticed that the ground clearance on the Kubota BX23 was higher than some of the larger CUT tractors that had subframe mounted backhoes. Combine that with the longer wheelbase of the typical CUT category tractor and you could have more problems with ground clearance on a CUT with subframe BH than you would with a BX23. You also mentioned that your budget for this was $17,000, and you are going to be making money with it... - you might find you can afford more tractor than you think if you find a model you like and the manufacturer is still offering 0% financing. When I was looking around for a tractor this was a big factor in my purchase decision. I had been looking at used equipment and realized that with the 0% I could buy something new and keep most of the money I had in the bank to help out with the projects I needed to work on.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #15  
Geoff,

Have you looked at Washington County Tractor in Brenham, TX? They have some good package prices: www.wctractor.com

Doyle

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #16  
Just weant to echo everyone else and recommend to stay away from a sub compact. They are grat machine FOR WHAT THEY ARE DESIGNED TO DO. But commercial work, especially with a backhoe is not going to please your customers. Deere's smallest new 4000 20 series may be worth looking at, or even a 790 if you don't mind the gear tranny. Kubota, NH/Case, MF,Kioti, Mahindra all have good suport and would take care of you. One thing I caution you to keep in mind is TCO, Total Cost of Ownership. It is one of my pet peeves /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and you will hear me say it often, Don't just buy a tractor for its tempting initial price.
If you think your company is going to grow, you may want to keep the idea of a used compact excavator in the back of your mind for later, they are 100 times better than a back hoe for SOME applications like ditching.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You also mentioned that your budget for this was $17,000, and you are going to be making money with it... - you might find you can afford more tractor than you think if you find a model you like and the manufacturer is still offering 0% financing. )</font>

I agree with Jim. If you can get the 0% financing, then you can spread the cost over 3 years and it may give you a little room to add to the budget and get a little bigger machine, since it's for a business. As long as you've got an extra $400-$500 per month coming in to cover tractor payments, you can even hold on to a large portion of that $17k, and use it for other operational expenses, including making the payments in the slow months. Just a thought.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #18  
HI :

Not sure if I can help much but thought I'd add my two cents worth too:

you may as well take a good look at the century (JINMA brands= farmpro, nortrac et all look under links in the china forum for John S's web site he has large dealer links page.)

lots of others machines besides the big 3, you may or may not be close to a dealer but if you plan on working ANY tractor expect some break downs every now and again, and if you having to drive 8+ hrs to a dealer then you might as well get to know WHAT EVER machine you buy and begin to think that you will have to have some working knowledge to keep it going when needed.!

not that I'm knocking any of the machines listed but you can get all what you requested for several thousand $ less than you're budget in the range you are looking for. 25~30 HP tractors non-Hyst though... gear drive is great and probably better for continuous ground engaging but foe fine loader work they take a bit more finesse and gear changes.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help.
First - thanks for all the great info it is appreciated. I will try and respond in no particularly order.

After many of you talked ground clearance I gave it some second thought and realized this too is a priority. This country is very rocky - the backhoes moving around look like bobbers stuck in the wake of a speed boat. Sub-CUTS and CUTS with subframes may not be viable option, although I will be looking at the BX23 as well as other Kubotas and New Hollands tomorrow. It also confirms that 4WD is essential, particularly when it rains as it is now - everything becomes a moshpit. 4WD F250 dualies get stuck in this slop if they are not careful.

While I like the overall power of the Power Trac equipment (the BH breakout lbs is impressive) I think it would be a challenge to use this equipment in the environment.

Bit frustrated with Kioti - have requested info on the nearest dealer (seems to be only a handful west of the Mississippi) still waiting for email response. Guess I will have to go old fashioned and use the phone. Particularly frustrating is that I have some received some competitive quotes - LK3054 with FEL & BH for just under $19,000 without any haggling. Unfortunately its a 2 days drive to this dealer. UGH /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

My nearest tractor dealer oddly enough happens to be Jinma - proximity to Mexico may have something to do with this - I will be dilligent and check them out later this week.

I will be taking advantage of the current interest rates while putting a large portion down. Regardless I would like to keep my budget at $17,000.

HST is on my "would be nice to have" list, could make but will not break my decision.

Doyle thanks for the info on Washington County Tractor - nice site.

Finally I have already sat through an auction on ironplanet and noticed some bargains on compact excavators. Its in my 5 year plan.

I also profess not to be a great mechanic, but I am fortunate to have a good friend who was rebuilding Deere engines before he lost his baby teeth.

Thanks again for all the good advice stay tuned for pricing.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #20  
I don't think u are going to find any new tractor 25 to 30 hp with fel and BH FOR $17K. for the type of work u want to do i think you would be ill advised to go smaller than that.