Neophyte buying a tractor needs help.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #1  

Desertdog

Tractor
None Yet
I have spent the last 3 months endlessly on-line reading tractor forums, reading anecdotal and professional reviews, price shoping, etc, etc and now its time to get down and dirty and actually purchase a new or used tractor.

I live in a rural yet wealthy Southeast Arizona community that is in desperate need of someone that can grade a few driveways (particulary after the monsoons), dig a few trenches, move some dirt and gravel, grub a few mesquites, grade future homesites, landscape, install drip irrigation, plant a few trees, dig footers (I build stone homes/walls), etc. I can get a about $50/hr to do this work. I will compete/help out 2 large backhoe operators that are too busy to be concerned with customer relations and leave too large a footprint to do some of the more delicate work. Soil conditions range from sand to clay to rocks to more rocks to caliche (impervious to anything except explosives).

Needs: Tractor, FEL, BH and BB, maybe Post Hole Digger
Budget: no more than $17,000. I am hoping this is in line with my needs.

Unfortunately, I have to travel far to find the right tractor. Tucson is 2 1/2 hours away and there appear to be no good used tractor dealer in Az. I will be sittin' on a few new NH, Kubota, Deere and used tractors thru Texas in the next two weeks to check fit and feel, but need some opinions on specifics to look for with the type of applications ahead.

I must confess I am leaning towards a new Kubota BX23 or B7510 (similar to the setup ARCHDEAN got) but I am openminded.

Sorry to inundate all you experts with newbee questions. I can only hope that someday I will be able to impart some wisdom in this same forum.

Thanks for the help.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #2  
Geoff, I would bypass the Sub-CUT category for the tasks you described because of low ground clearance. And actually if not for your budget, you could go a lot bigger. But given the budget you lay out, I'd look for a small frame compact. Any of the big 3 brands will probably suit your needs. Kioti's CK20 is a nice small frame machine, but I'd prefer to go up to the 24hp machines in the same size frame. Still, the CK20 is a capable machine, and a good value in some regions. I prefer the TC24DA or the Farmall DX24 because their loaders have the best visibility and excellent specs. Lots of people rave about the Mahindra, so if they are in your area you might want to look at them.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #3  
Geoff,
I am no expert either, as I have just found this forum and have never owned a big machine, but I definitely agree with Bob. Go with the CUT if your budget swings it. The BX is a great tractor but you will probably find it small in the Desert. The TC24 is a very nice tractor, but I think you will find it to exceed 17k with a BH, FEL, etc. You may be in a position where you must look used to get anything like that. As far as you are from a dealer, I would stick on your path of NH, Deere or Kubota. Good Luck!

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #4  
I would almost bet you could get a Kubota L3400 with all you wanted for around that price. yeah it's not a hydrostatic but it works great.
even the NH TC 30 you could probably get for around that much.
now i have never priced a back hoe but i know when i bought my Kubota L3000dt i got a fel ,woods bb60 with slip clutch, box blade and discs for $15000.
And by the way you want 4wd it is worth the extra money trust me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #5  
As I understand you are in a landscaping - clean up after the big tractors are finished- general small yard jobs Does your budget include a trailer and tow vehicle?

But back to your question. Suggest four wheel drive, Hst, and around 25/30 horsepower. If you are working a lot of sand consider tire size for traction. I am slightly familiar with one brand that has, what I would consider, an economy model tractor that would admirally meet your needs. Brand name will not be mentioned unless by private e-mail. Too many colour wars and that we surely don't need for you to get proper information.

Egon

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #6  
I would not recomend a sub-CUT (BX, etc) for your uses. I worked a deal for a CK20HST with FEL and BH for about $17,500. The HST adds about $1000, but on many machines if you skip the HST you also lose the live PTO. Not the end of the world, just be aware of it. The Kubota L2800 & L3400 are worth looking at, as is the Kioti LK3054XS, but I will bet all of these will blow your budget with a BH. Maybe look for a used LK3054?

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help.
You have all displayed my dillema. I could easily use a bigger tractor, more hp, ground clearance, etc but the darn budget seems to get in my way. The BH can be a real killer, used brand name can go in excess of $5,000. I figure I need 4wd and good maneuverability and would love to have (in no particularly order) HST, 30 hp, 1,000 lb FEL lift capacity (there are some big rocks out here) and substantial break out capacity for BH.

After looking at new vs used - I am inclined to buy new due to the way these tractors retain value, I would sacrifice a little hp for warranty and a relationship with a good dealer (many in this forum have pointed out the importance of this relationship).

I have taken care of the trailer, dump truck, etc. and it is not part of this budget. Sand will not be problem for most applications.

I will be heading out to a Kubota and Kioti dealer early next week and post some of the prices for those interested.

DESERTDOG

Attachments

• 479584-EMAIL POPPY.jpg
    479584-EMAIL POPPY.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 148
   / Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #8  
Geoff, you want 1000# of lift, manuverability and 4wd. If you are willing to give up 30hp, then you could go down a little in size and get the other 3 things on your wish list.

Here are some loader specs to consider:
LA12 & LX112 = 1720 breakout, 1090 lift up to 7'1" (fits Farmall DX24 & NH TC24)
Kioti 120 . . . .= 1511 breakout, 1074 lift up to 7'4" (fits CK20)
Kubota LA352FL1= 1336 breakout, 925 lift up to 5'8" (fits B2410/2610)
Kubota LA302FL1= 1120 breakout, 770 lift up to 5'7" (fits 7500 series)

Kioti's little CK20 has the lowest HP, but is a fine machine. It meets your criteria except for the lack of the 30hp engine. In the same size frame, the New Holland TC24 and the Farmall DX24 give you 24hp and a very slighly greater capacity loader. The similar size Kubota machines seem to fall short with their loaders. I have not been able to dig up loader specs on the JD machines, but the JD4115 would be similar in size, and is also a 24hp machine.

Moving up to the Kioti CK25 will give you a larger frame and that would reduce your manuverability but give you a superior loader because the 130 loader has greater capacity. I do not like the CK25 because I think it is underpowered because the frame is larger and heavier, I do, however like the CK30, however it does raise the cost again.

Budget wise, the CK20 may be your best bet; but pricing is very regional so that might not be true. I would prefer the added HP of the NH or the Farmall to run larger implements on the PTO, or to run similar size without fear of bogging down the engine.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help.
Thanks for the great info. I have requested a few quotes from various Kioti dealers on the CK20, CK30 and the LK3054. We will see what the email brings in the next few days. Unfortunately I cannot find a Kioti dealer in Az or NM and will have to drive a good 8 hrs to the nearest one in Tx. This rural living is a blessing and a curse.

BY the way - I am a father and completely understand .... ZZZZ

Thanks again.

/ Neophyte buying a tractor needs help. #10  
Don't give up on the Big 3 brands (ok well give up on Kubota because the loaders are weaker) but you may find that NH, Deere or Farmall may be priced in line with the minor brands. In areas where the major brands are strong, the prices are very competitive and the minor brands have a hard time breaking into the market. I have no idea what it is like where you live, but if you have to drive 8 hours to see a Kioti, it might be that they are not competitve in your market. Just a thought.