smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #21  
I've seen how $2000 lawnmowers mow and they don't compare to my 7610 with MMM. The MMM cost me $2200. A riding mower that had the same mowing quality would cost twice that.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #22  
If you DO decide to go the riding mower approach...

Before buying a box store JD or CubCadet, talk to your tractor dealer. He may have an even better deal for you in a promotional, or trade in unit that is better than the box store versions. I bought a rider from Home Depot, before tbn, and later realized that I could have gotten a much nicer unit for little or no more at the Dealer. To be sure, they also have much higher priced versions, as well.

that said, If I do things over, I will be diesel all the way. I just don't like all the care and feeding on gas engines, by comparison, so a MMM would make more sense, that way....

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #23  
I've been mowing about 3 1/2 acres with an MTD 16.5 HP hydrostatic for several years now.
I have given thought to a mower for my CK20 but realized it is easier to do it with my dedicated lawn tractor. I get on it, start it, and go. No worry of changing any implements etcetera. Hope this helps you in your decision. G

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #24  
I would go with the separate mower. Tried cutting grass with MMM and it had to be removed anytime I needed to do any tractor work where clearance was an issue. Tractor also left ruts in the lawn because it weighed so much. When lawn was wet the ruts were much worse and the tractor tires will tear up a lawn if you are not careful. Now my wife can cut grass while I play on the tractor. My 2 cents worth.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #25  
I have a dedicated lawn tractor (Ventrac 3000) and a CUT with a MMM (NH TC24D) and find that I use both. But I would prefer to just have the CUT.

The Ventrac mows fast, gets in tighter places, goes on the slopes that the TC24 can't manage, etc. The TC24 has the MMM deck pinned in the UP position much of the time, but I often find that I will be out doing something on part of the property, and while I am there I just drop the deck and mow it. If I need to play with the FEL, etc then I raise the deck and do the work.

My property has several dozen small trees that a CUT or even a sub-CUT can NOT get under so the Ventrac always does those areas. I also have a couple killer slopes that require the Ventrac's stability for mowing.

However, if I had a property that was somewhat differnt, I would have saved the extra money and just used the TC24 for mowing. The cost of a MMM is equal to the price of a cheap lawn tractor (about $2000) and for my money, the MMM does a better job and doesn't require the added maintainence, added storage space, etc that a separate lawn tractor requires.

I would also agree with a previous post that a low priced lawn tractor will not mow as well as a high quality deck on a CUT. When I went shopping for the Ventrac, I started out looking at every brand of lawn/garden tractor on the market, and quality of cut was important. I ended up spending $9850 for the Ventrac, the deck, and a front slip bucket. The quality of the cut is amazing, it never scalps even on bumpy terrain, it lays down perfect lawn stripes, etc. I've tried JD 2xx and 3xx tractors as well as Cub Cadets (which I also own) and the Ventrac is so far superior to the other lawn tractors that it justifies the added price. I find the MMM on the TC24 is not quite up to the quality of the Ventrac, but is better than most of the lawn tractors by a pretty long shot.

I would love to get rid of the Ventrac (and I really enjoy using it when Mrs_Bob lets me!) but the reality is I need a tractor and a mower unit. If my land was different, I would only have a CUT and probably be happier.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #26  
One more data point, though it sounds similar to other advice already given: I have both a dedicated lawn tractor (Kubota G1800) and a CUT. I actually started with only the lawn tractor, but about half of my five acres is fairly rough pasture and creek, and the G1800 just wasn't up to doing that. But it's perfect for under and around the dense trees on the rest of the property, where my B7400 and brush hog would be unworkable. Having both is nearly ideal for me, but the cost of buying both means that I bought less CUT than I otherwise would have, if I had a CUT only. Everything is a compromise, unless you're made of money. This one works well for me.

Pete

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #27  
Right now, since my acreage is a weekend place where I don't want to park a $20,000 CUT and leave it, I use two tractors. My old 8N Ford for brush-hogging, dirt work, and log-moving; an MTD 42", 18hp. rider for the lawn areas which is about 2 acres. They work well for me. But when we move down there upon my semi-retirement in a couple of years, I would like to have a CUT with FEL, and ZTR for the lawn (which has a lot of trees). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #28  
Jared,
Like many I have both a CUT and a lawn tractor. It was a bit of a hit to the budget but I got the lawn tractor first for the lawn. Since we are in the dry part of CA I used it for sometime to knock down the grass before it got dry. Later I bought a CUT to work on the arena, etc.

Its great to have both. I cant get the big one around the trees on the lawn and even if I could it would leave ruts. The small one does a great job.

In hindsight I could have gone smaller on the lawn tractor and perhaps bigger on the CUT.

My 2 cents....
Mark

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #29  
My 2 cents...
I have 3 mowers for my yard currently. A rider with a mulching deck for around the house, a yard tractor with a 50" deck for the secondary areas like my ditch, between my driveways and my front yeard, and a subCUT for the large areas and my "pasture"
The milisecond that I can trade my 216 and finishing mower on a new 3pt mower I will (dealer does ordering in the winter and we'll make a deal then). I have found that my 3point mower (which is very old and beat) can go anywhere and do anything the 216 can (with a small exception of 5 mins a wekk cutting my ditch)and has made that machine useless except for its tiller. It's one more machine to clean, maintain and get frustrated with. It burns way more fuel (cost) than my 2210 and is not nearly as fun to drive.
However your question was not about buying an old mower so my points may be useless.
Summarizing, for me and my needs I need 2 machines, with very different uses.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #30  
You could rent a CUT with a bush hog to get a handle on the lot initially. Then get the CUT with the implements you need and a riding mower for the lawn.

A gasoline lawn tractor will burn more fuel per hour than a small diesel cut with a MMM will, and will have a smaller mower size. Having said that, I'd still go with the CUT and lawn mower rather than a MMM.