looking for a tractor

/ looking for a tractor #1  

nanotech

Does anyone have an opinion on a Farm Pro 4WD tractor. I am looking to buy one from the traveling show here in Knoxville, TN.
Also, I have found a good price on an AG-KING tractor. Again, any information or opinions?

/ looking for a tractor #2  
I'm surprised to see no responses to this post as it says here that it was posted early this am.
Anyway, I don't own one, but a lot of members have them and are satisfied, however, each one has said that one needs to be able to work on them as the support is not there. Often the warranty is only 6 months to one year, and often only for parts. This varies.
I've read many posts where the owner had to replace temp guages, and other electrical equipment with something other than Chineese made ones, and that fit and finish is rather poor, with rough paint jobs, and low hour leaks inevitable, thus the need to be handy with a wrench.
Even though I can do a lot of work myself, I decided against the Chineese versions for lack of supporty, warranty, and the above-mentioned problems, but there are plenty of people buying them. John

/ looking for a tractor #3  
What he said, exactly! Great Post!!! Make sure you have access to parts if you need them.

/ looking for a tractor #4  
Like the others said. buying chineese is like buying a 'new' old tractor. It is pretty much nerw production based on older technology. Nothing specifically wrong with that.. Old technology is more or less proven. The biggest problem chineese tractors have is the fit/finish.. and that goes all the way down to the jobbers sourcing the parts.. While parts are assembly line run.. there is quite a bit of hand fitting. If you can turn a wrench.. replace a few nuts/bolts, and don't feel squiemish about replacing an oring or seal.. etc.. it is a big money saver.

Soundguy

/ looking for a tractor #5  
A friend of mine bought one. Just like KiotiJohn says you best be capable of mechanical work. A lot of little things go wrong with them and you have to be able to fix them because the dealers come and go. I know Northern Hydraulics here sells them but I don't know how they are for servicing them. The price however allows you to spend a lot of money in repairs versus the Big three. It's your time and money.

Me personally I can fix them, I just don't have the time.

murph

/ looking for a tractor #6  
And sometimes an actual old tractor is the better way to go, but of course you must find one you like and fits your requirements. I would rather work on an older tractor that was at least well made, if not well cared for. I think it would irritate me to no end fixing something I just bought brand new, but it does not bother me to fix something that just wore out from use (like my TO20).

/ looking for a tractor #7  
Since you are looking for an opinion, I will tell you what I see. I drive past a local nursery every day on my way to work, it's just a few miles from my house. Every couple months, I see some part of thier Fram Pro tractor dissassembled on a concrete slab near thier parking area. Maybe it's cheaper, but it seems like alot of effort for the savings. Compared to my dad's 8N, which requires almost no maintenance, even considering it's like 50 years old, I'd rather have the 8N.

/ looking for a tractor #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but it does not bother me to fix something that just wore out from use (like my TO20 )</font>

True. I just put about 80 bucks and 9 hours into a full rebuild of my pump and lift. All new gaskets, new relief/check valve, new naa style piston w/ oring and backup washer, and cleaned out the sump.

Was a bit of a chore.. but my lift has been holding up a load for 24 hours now since parked inthe barn yeasterday.. before it wouldn't hold it up for 24 seconds!

Neat thing was i Only used one size socked.. 11/16 it took out the bolts holding the seat, holding the hyd top cover, hyd cylinder, the side inspection cover and hyd pump bottom, and pto flange...

Soundguy

/ looking for a tractor #9  
This thread is 3 years old now but has anything changed regarding a Ag King 3540?

Having just bought one I may be trying to close the gate after the horses escaped ... lol

Thanks in advance !