Belarus 400AN

/ Belarus 400AN #11  
Just a remark on ait colled engines.
DEUTZ uses temperature gauge with sensor mounted in 3rd head of engine.
SAME uses temperature gauge with sensor mounted in OIL line near filter.
Both temperature gauges are special, not equal to ones for water cooled engines.
So, easiest way to install aftermarket temperature gauge is by measuring OIL temperature. Temperature of 130C is normal.
Hope this helps.

/ Belarus 400AN #12  
The sensor that I used was from JC whitney for measuring oil temperature. I think that 130C equals about 266F, so I may have been a little off in my memory. I plugged the aftermarket temp gauge into the same place as the factory gauge, which I think was somewhere around the oil cleaner.

I was also told by the Belarus guys in Milwaukee that the engine used in the 400/420 was a copy of a particular Duetz engine (which one and how good of a copy I don't know).

I think I remember that for a while, just a few years ago, the Belarus Machinery, Inc. (or whatever their name was) went out of business, but there is someone else importing them now, I think.

Ironically, it turns out that they guy that I sold my tractor to, who lives about 12 miles from me, hasn't used the tractor more than a couple of hours. I work with his son (and am known as the "tractor guy" at work) he came to ask me some questions about a Belarus tractor that his dad had bought a few years ago. The more we talked, the more familiar the tractor sounded. Finally, I asked him if it had "The Big Red Machine" stencilled on the canopy (something I did a while ago), so it turns out it was mine. It turns out it may be for sale in the near future...if the price is right, I'm not sure I can turn it down (but I'll know what I'm getting -back- into).

/ Belarus 400AN
Thanks very much folks for your input/advice.

/ Belarus 400AN #14  
Well, have you made your decision? Do you need a reliable machine or just an occasional powerhouse? Is it too good of a deal to pass up?

Lawrence

/ Belarus 400AN #15  
I used to have a Belarus 250AS. It didn't cost me anything but diesel fuel, oil, hydraulic fluid, and batteries. It was thrown in by the old guy I bought the place from. After about 375 hrs the clutch and brakes went out. Not out of adjustment mind you, burned out. Before that it was a hard working machine. I sold it to a guy here on TBN who wanted one to fix up.

My closest dealer was about 120 miles away. That's usually one of the biggest issues with these tractors, dealer suppport and parts availability.

One nice thing about the Belarus is that there is down pressure on the 3 point, but that is really a minor point unless you are using a post hole digger.

Kevin

/ Belarus 400AN
Have not made a decision yet. I made the seller a conditional offer yesterday and have not got a response. He lives approx. 150 miles from me and all I have seen is photos. It will be costly to hire someone to transport and he states that the starter does not work. That alone is somewhere around $400. Thanks for your help and I will let you know if I buy.

/ Belarus 400AN
I failed to fully reply to your question in my last post but to continue, I do not need a tractor for anything but a toy and handling hay for 3 horses on small acreage.
I have been retired from the Feds for some time and now I am on my 3rd year working as a consultant to the same organization through a contractor. Bottom line is, I do not plan on working much longer and I enjoy tinkering with machines so the Belarus does not scare me.

/ Belarus 400AN #18  
I have a 420Belarus (4wdversion) which I inherited from my dad. It is a 1989 and has lots of hours. It has held up very well as dad used it for everything. It does leak at most of the fittings, but 30 weight oil is used for hydraulic fluid soo is no big deal. Have all the original manuals needed for repairs. Even have one in Russian!! They are powerhouses and love the downpressure for grading. They do seem to run hot , but from the other posts I guess 100 to 120c is normal. Good Luck on your decision. Jim

/ Belarus 400AN #20  
You had a much better tractor in the Belarus than a Kubota! Had your Belarus not been abused by the previous owner, I am sure you would have loved it.