Buying second larger tractor (advice needed)

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #1  

Buckhornfarm

First let me say what a wonderful site this is and what a pleasure to have all of this knowledge available. I found this site several weeks ago and have read daily learning all I can about my next big purchase. Now for the questions.

About me, I have small two farms located in Tennessee. The farm I reside on is located in Williamson County. I currently have a MF 210 2 wheel drive with a 5' rotary cutter. This small tractor has served me very well in the last nine years. My second farm is located in Giles County (very hilly and rough). The farms are to far apart to trailer, plus I am not equipped to haul a tractor as large as I am planning on purchasing.

My need: After mowing the Giles County farm (currently mowing about 35 acres) with the smaller tractor and paying someone with a 15' mower to mow parts, I am going to purchase a larger tractor. Some of my slopes are at least 30 degrees which I mow straight up and down (mostly connecting strips between fields on top and bottom which are flat to sloping, maybe 30' wide). I have looked at larger tractors (60 - 80 PTO HP) and am not to brand loyal. My thinking is that the size of the mower needs to be 10' or 12'. This being a trade off between size and cost. I do have a fair amount of time to mow and actually love to bush hog. I will mow this acreage about 3 to 4 times a year, and this would be the main duty of this piece of equipment. I don't have cows, plant corn or cut hay. What size of tractor would you recommend and what size cutter? Also I will buy a used machine. Everyone around me says buy a 4 wheel drive. There is a Massey dealer about 20 miles away, I had my smaller tractor serviced there and they seemed to do a good job. I have heard that the new Masseys are ??? Most of my neighors have JD's, Kubota, Fords.

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #2  
Here's my advice... take it for whatever 'free' advice is worth...

You already have a CUT that you like and serves you well. For the 'odd' big jobs many people then purchase a used early model ag tractor. They usually go for cheaper than a used CUT.

For instance.. the ford 7xxx and 8xxx tractors, old case 1xxx series tractor.. etc.. etc.. these are big tractors from the 60-70-80's inthe 85+ hp range. I recently saw a huge 140hp case listed for sale for 4000$ OBO... and it took a while to sell.

The big boys just don't move.. not much demand.

Old guy down the road has a ford 8000 and a case 1070.. both are for 4500$ ..

Mowers on the other hand are made of money.

I just recently moved up to a new ag tractor.. a 7610S NH.. and needed a mower. I ended up only being able to afford a 10" mower as the last of my tractor money went into a downpayment on the tractor.

I priced around and found this about a month ago... 10 3pt mowers are in the 3500$ range.. pull type are in the 3800-4500 range.

12' mowers, pull type hit 6000-7000.. 15' mower pull type go in the 7000-8000 range.. with some in the 10000$ range. 20' go in the 9$ and up depending on brand and age.. mostly you can find new or 1year used mowers in these ranges.

I lucked up and found a dealer for HOWSE that does alotta volume, and I got a 10' 3pt rotary mower for 2300$ plus tax... I counted that as a steal. I've mowed my 10ac with it twice and love it... lots of features for an economy 'name' brand. It came with a slip clutch and some good thick metal. It is part of their heavy duty line.

I'm sure you will get a bunch more replies. Pick one that suits you and then have fun.

good luck

Soundguy

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #3  
I wouldn't say that the Masseys are questionable. The Iseki engines have gotten rave reviews. There aren't a lot of posters on TBN about Massey, probably because Massey is BIG in large farm tractors.
Buy something large enough to pull at least a 10 foot mower. I think minumum of 60HP will do that. Someone can correct me if that's not correct. I've seen some 80 + HP Masseys with duals on them for under $10,000, so you could probably find a 60 something for less.
The only thing I don't like about my brother's Massey CUT is the layout of controls. I don't find it all that comfortable as it's rather cramped. Probably not an issue on the larger ones. John

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #4  
I agree with the 60-ish hp for 10' mower...A local mechanic has rebuilt 2 ford 5000's recently and sells them with 10' mowers.. the ford 5000 is between 63 and 68 hp depending on the year. he says they work out fine. I was a day away from buying one of them but bought something a tad bigger.

Soundguy

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was a day away from buying one of them but bought something a tad bigger.)</font>
I'll say you did! That was the wife's idea wasn't it? I know you'd like to have the older tractor as that is your predilection. But I also think you're pretty glad to have the beast, right? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif John

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #6  
"I ended up only being able to afford a 10" mower as the last of my tractor money went into a downpayment on the tractor."

Gee, you ought to get in alot of seat time with THAT mower... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed)
I have looked at several older model tractors, Ford 4630 in 4wd, JD 5300 in 4wd, JD 2640 2wd and several JD cab tractors but they were in the 50ish HP. Still not to brand loyal, are there any models that you would recommend in a Ford, Kubota, JD, Massey that are reliable in a 80-90 year model. I am pretty handy at fixing things but if I had a larger repair I would have to pay to have the tractor hauled, and wanted to avoid tractors that have to be constantly fixed. I am looking to spend around 20K for the tractor and mower.

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'll say you did! That was the wife's idea wasn't it? I know you'd like to have the older tractor as that is your predilection. But I also think you're pretty glad to have the beast, right? John )</font>

Yep.. her idea.. And yes.. I like the older tractors!

Soundguy

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Gee, you ought to get in alot of seat time with THAT mower... )</font>

Got in almost 3 hours this last saturday morning... drove to my pasture.. mowed.. drove back.. mowed 10ac.. not too bad for speed..

Soundguy

/ Buying second larger tractor (advice needed) #10  
Soundguy -

I think that wannafish was referring to mowing 10 acres with a 10 INCH mower..... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif