compact tractor

/ compact tractor #1  

ssknightrider

I hav an oppurtunity to by what I think is a decent tractor,but I have,nt heard of it the name is (KODIAK)its a 1998 and sounds about what I,m looking for 4x4 low hours,and it looks real clean.Any body out there familiar or know about these,any help would be greatly appreciated,as I am just looking into a small rig and have very little experience with the market.Thaks in advance Scott-Prescott,Arizona

/ compact tractor #2  
I have heard of a Yamaha Kodiak but it is an ATV(all terrain vehicle), not a tractor

/ compact tractor
The guy that I talked to about the tractor said his friend bought it from Ace,it has a hoe and a loader ,which is what I,m looking for ,and its also 4x4,my concern is can I get parts for the thing...

/ compact tractor #4  
I found on the web a page that listed Kodiak tractors 25 to 50 HP. Best I can tell is they are Chinese Tractors. I can find any pictures of them though.

Kodiak

At the bottom of the above link is a page that has them for sale but no pictures. There was another page I will try and find also.

Kodia 2

This link also list them but again no pictures.

If I remember right they are just like the ones Northern Hydraulic sells. Cheap price, you have to put them together when you get them and be you must be mechanical for minor repairs.

murph

/ compact tractor
To me the Kodiak I saw looked like a Yanmar,or Jinma,sort like thoughs,I,m just going to use it around my house and to pick up a little cash on weekends.Friends of mine in construction as I am ,will bring a hoe over once in a while,and I,ll grade my driveway I live up a nountain about 27 degrees angle and when it rains (monsoon) it pours .Anyway the neighbors are always asking me to do things for them,I don,t mind if I have the time,75% of the time I work out of town and all I have is the weekend,and just like to work on my sandrail,or dig a footing ,or something the war department(my wife) wants me to do..

/ compact tractor #6  
I suggest you do a little more research before spending thousands on an unknown chinese tractor. go down to the chinese forum and try to find out exactly what you are buying - could be a jinma, or sumai etc. big issue is whether parts and service are available. There are some eye-opening posts down there about good honest people who cant get their tractors fixed....makes you give a second thought. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ compact tractor
Thank s for the reply,yes I am pretty machanically inclined,but I its probably a whole different world with tractors,and my main concern is parts. The tractor was built in 1998,so Iwould think one could buy parts for it.The guy that has it is real slow on return e-mails,Idid ask him to give the engine tag info,do you think that would help...Thanks Scott

/ compact tractor #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thank s for the reply,yes I am pretty machanically inclined,but I its probably a whole different world with tractors,and my main concern is parts. The tractor was built in 1998,so Iwould think one could buy parts for it.The guy that has it is real slow on return e-mails,Idid ask him to give the engine tag info,do you think that would help...Thanks Scott )</font>Most of those tractors were branded with anyones mark who could afford to buy enough of them to justify marking them. Kodiak, if I remember correctly, is a Jinma-made tractor and sold for only a several thousand new. In general, in 1998, they came with a 6 months parts only warranty, and one had to rely on the seller to get them for you. Most did not stock the parts, but oredered them from China taking not less than two weeks to cross the sea, and often, longer. Many of the people who distributed the tractors went of business and the parts were difficult to come by as in one model there may have been different parts numbers for the same basic part. Changes in a model could occur but the model number stayed the same but the parts wouldn't all match up.
I would be worried about parts support for that tractor. It would be better to buy a new Chinese tractor now as they seem to offer better warranty, like 6 months parts/labor, but you generally will be reimbursed the repair costs, not necessarily take it to the dealer and have warranty work done. Some are offering longer warranties as well.
It's an emerging market for the Chinese models and there is still much to be worked out. One will generally end up doing all the mechanical changes necessary to bring it up to standard, i.e. replace some guages, repair electrical problems etc before the tractor will be up to par.
Don't take my word for it, check out the chinese forums where many people are pretty happy with their tractors only after they have done the changes. John

/ compact tractor #9  
I'm pretty much aligned with KiotiJohn on this. If the budget will allow it, I would look at a new Chinese Tractor. Northern Tool sells them starting at $5999 (4wd, 20hp) with a modest warrenty and has parts support. They also offer packages with a FEL and implements that offer combo discounts. Their tractors are Jinmas. Homier Tool offers basically the same thing, not sure about their prices.

/ compact tractor #10  
Often, a well maintained (grey) from an established dealer with parts resources (many on TBN) with low hours may be comparable to your needs and budget.
I must agree with previous replies - Explore a little and your location is a big factor on support and availability.
Mark