Unsure of my need

/ Unsure of my need #1  

rogdan

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC TLB
This is great info; /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I have been reviewing the list this week and am looking for advice. I have 100 acres of hilly, rocky land in WV, 70% wooded, 30% field/brush.
I need to keep the grass and brush cut mainly.
Secondary is to drag logs for firewood and plow 1-2 acres of garden.
Of less need is to plow snow on 1/4 mile gravel drive, I am not considering a FEL or backhoe but may in the future. I have no plans to ever bale hay and will likely buy used.
How big a machine do I need? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I want enough HP but be small enough for narrow logging roads.
Grass cutting and plowing have been barely handled by a Farmall 140 until now. This machine is 40+ Y.O. with every part welded at least once. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Thank You :

/ Unsure of my need #2  
If you are planning on mowing more than a few acres of the field (which you will need to do to keep it in control), I would suggest a 4x4 CUT in the 30-35 hp range. That is large enough to run a 6' rotary cutter for the field mowing and still small enough to get around small areas. And reconsider the factory front end loader from the start. You will find it the most useful thing you ever bought.

/ Unsure of my need #3  
Your stuff sounds a lot like what I accomplish with my 32Hp Deere. I have the Ag tires set full wide and its real stable, and yet, I can sneak around in the woods. I pull a 6' cutter in the pasture and all is super.

Each of the manufacturers have similar setups. In your area, you might have a great dealer with green or another color that will get you fixed up!

/ Unsure of my need #4  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I agree with what both Bill and Mike have said. It sounds like you should be in the 30 - 40 hp range. If it were me, I'd lean towards the 40hp end. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But you said... </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I want enough HP but be small enough for narrow logging roads.
)</font>

It sounds to me like that should be one of your major considerations. Just how narrow are you talking about? Do you have the measurement of the narrowest point that you'd need to get through on these logging roads? That will dictate the width of your selection, which will directly impact what hp range you can consider. Or are you willing to widen these roads in order to get the larger frame tractor?

Just some more factors for to consider. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Unsure of my need
Thanks for the reply
Yes, I will be cutting over 10 acres and want to split the "big enough" vs "maneuverable enough" as these ares vary in size and obstacles.

/ Unsure of my need
As to the logging roads, they are likely wide enough but have grown up with brush. The Farmall being 2WD and with no brush hog has been unable to keep them clear.
Also the Farmall has a high unstable stance, not good for this hilly area, all these CUTS seem to have a lower center of gravity /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Another concern with a new machine is the "bang up" potential as rockyridgefarm mentions
"I have the Ag tires set full wide and its real stable, and yet, I can sneak around in the woods. "
I will likely be doing alot of this.