looking to purchase a compact tractor

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #1  

dwl

Tractor
NH TC24DA
I am new to the site. I am looking at the purchase of a small tractor. I have been doing some research and am currently looking at the Mahindra 2015hst and the NH tc24. will be used for landscaping/loader work.

any thoughts/impressions on either tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #2  
Welcome to the site - Have you done a search of the appropriate forums to dig up info on these two models? I think you'll find a lot of information there.

Good Luck with your search.

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #3  
Is this for comercial work, or for a home/estate/small acerage?

In either case, you will want to drive both tractors, and see how you feel about the dealers.. etc.

Soundguy

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #4  
The Mahindra is a bit heavier so that would be better for dirt work, like using the FEL. But, in this case I would probably favor the TC24DA, even if it is a tad lighter. It has a curved hood with curved loader arms so that will make visibility a lot better. This will be a plus when doing a lot of FEL work. What kind of other work will the machine be used for? The TC24DA is 24hp compared to the 20hp of the Mahindra. The extra HP will also be an advantage in some applications. Be sure to have the proper counterbalace when using the FEL to keep the rear planted firmly on the ground. A few months ago I gave the TC24DA's twin (the CaseIH Farmall DX24) a real good lookover. It had a FEL and the visibility was excellent. Controls were well placed, comfy seat, etc. I did have a little trouble getting on and off. I found it kind of cramped. You definately want to try out the TC24DA to make sure it fits you well.

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #5  
I own a TC24D and love it, I tried to look at the Mahindras but couldn't find a dealer. I did see some while I was on vacation driving through Georgia & Florida and stoppeed to look. They look nice, but I didn't drive any, and don't know the specs. In some areas of the nation the owners are saying they got great prices, but as pricing is a very regional issue I take all that with a grain of salt.

As for the TC24, it has never let me down yet. In fact it has become my favorite tractor to use despite the fact that I have larger units with more power. The loader on the NH units is simply awesome. And it is nice that it pops off and back on pretty easily, so I take mine off pretty frequently, it is about a 3 minute job to remove, maybe 3 to 5 for me to put back on. I also looked at some of the 21 hp machines, but the price difference to go up to a 24hp was only $300 and the extra hp is nice to have at the PTO because you will be able to more effectively power a larger mower deck, tiller, snowblower, cutter, etc. Even if you use the same size PTO powered implement on it as you would a 21hp tractor, the added 3hp gives you the power reserve so you don't bog down the engine.

For loader work, the combination of the curved arms and the curved sloped hood simply cannot be beat. I also have a Kubota, those have long flat hoods and traditional style loader arms and it is much more difficult to see what you are trying to get into the bucket than on the NH.

If you are a total newbie, consider paying extra for the Hydrostatic transmission. It is easier and faster to learn, and hydro makes loader work much faster.

There seem to be quite a few folks who like the Mahindra tractors, you might want to go to the Mahindra section and read over some of their posts to get a feel for them.

Generally I would say any modern tractor will do most any job, but often the dealership should be the real deciding factor. I personally want a dealer who will take care of me if my tractor breaks, who has a fully staffed service department, one who has a large parts department, and a dealer with an excellent reputation. These tractors will last a long time (or at least they should) it would be a mistake to buy from a dealer who won't be there to take care of you. Every brand has good and bad dealers, I would switch brands to avoid a bad dealership.

Just for the heck of it I looked up the specs on the Mahindra, is weighs a few hundred more pounds than the New Holland and appears to be roughly the same overall size. The NH has a folding ROPS, the Mahindra appears to be rigid. Mahinda has a bit greater lift at the 3pt but both machines can lift more than they can effectively use. The Mahindra looks solid enough and well designed, but I would question comparing a 20hp tractor to a 24hp tractor. Wouldn't it be better to compare the 2015 to a TC21? The 2 advantages I see with the NH are the loader and the extra PTO hp. Both are a nice small size which would make them easy to use in landscape situations because they will be able to get into & out of areas that a larger machine would have problems, small machines are also faster to use and easier to do FEL work in tight spaces. I think both would serve you well, but I'll stick with my TC24 for the 2 reasons I outlined.

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor
I have read the posts regarding Mahindra and NH. This tractor will be used for home/private use. I have driven both tractors.
it is a little to compare since the spec. sheets don't always match up with equal stats. I know the Mahindra is down on the hp a little but, is a heavier machine. the NH is a physically larger machine but I am not as familiar with NH. My experience has been with operating larger Case and MF tractors. I have operated Yanmar and kabotas as well. I do have some experience with operating machines. I am considering HST because of the ease of operating with the loader, and it will be easier for the wife to operate.

The NH dealer will put calcium in the rear tires at purchase but I would have to pay for that with the Mahindra. The prices are within about $2500. The bucket size is a little different between Mahindra and NH, with NH a little bigger.

Initally no pto attachments, just loader and box scaper. Any comments regarding the fork attachment on the NH

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #7  
<font color="red"> I know the Mahindra is down on the hp a little but, is a heavier machine. the NH is a physically larger machine </font>

Just out of curiosity, are you buying the machine by the pound?

As for the NH, it is 2" wider and a bit longer. The added weight of the Mahindra is ONLY a benefit in loader work IF the weight is far back and low. Both machines will need to be ballasted for loader work. I honestly have never understood why some people (mostly dealers) sell their tractor by weight, excess weight is not a benefit. Weight is also not the same thing as ballast. Weight will add traction, but on machines this small, that is rarely a concern when doing simple landscape work (now if you want to plow a field I would be looking for a heavy machine).

As you said the tractor will not be purchased with PTO powered equipment, then that levels the playing field a bit, unless you forsee using some implements in the future like a tiller.

The biggest real difference I see is the loader.

All that said, you will need to feel comfortable with your choice and one machine or the other might feel better under your rear end. One dealer may treat you better. Those are things that mean a lot more than what I, or anyone on this forum, will be able to tell you.

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #8  
Well we can't spend other folks $$ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I don't know pricing on the two machines at all - but were it my call I'd beat feet towards the NH - for all the reasons stated above. For that difference in price I think the NH seems like a better overall value. If the NH dealer seems like a good player, and the price is right, I'd go back there and give it one more try. If it still seems right then I think you know what to do! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not looking to open the proverbial Can O' Worms - But in my opinion, I think you'd see a good deal of the $2500 difference back on gained resale value - should that day ever come.

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm not looking to open the proverbial Can O' Worms - But in my opinion, I think you'd see a good deal of the $2500 difference back on gained resale value - should that day ever come. )</font>

Sometimes I think a whole different can gets opened when this topic comes up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ looking to purchase a compact tractor #10  
If you're familiar with larger Case machines, then maybe you should look at the Case IH DX24 Farmall if there's a nearby dealer. It is basically the twin to the NH, but painted in the Case red/black, & different grille & headlights (the parent company is Case New Holland). The Case models seem to usually come in a little bit cheaper than the comparable NH models.

HST is great - it's the first HST I've ever owned, and I initially didn't want it, but all the sub compacts come with it now. I am very glad I got it - it makes mowing and FEL work much quicker and easier.

I have the sub compact Case DX24E, so I can't really comment on the larger compact DX24 other than to say it's bigger.