Contemplating Massey 1235

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #1  

whenley

Hello All,
I am new to the TBN group but have been lurking on this and any other CT forums I can find for the last couple months. I am debating buying a sub-CUT or CUT. I presently have an old Ferguson TO20 with a rear blade, single bottom furrowing plow, and a rear 'scoop'. Its a good old tractor but I made the mistake of looking at these new CUTs and really think I want a FEL. Those little diesels are just so nice.

I have 10 acres, 8 of which are woods. I need the tractor for dragging up fallen or felled trees (logs) for firewood, pushing up brush piles for bonfire, minor excavating, bringing firewood to the house, wheelbarrow replacement, and gardening (though the TO20 is good for that). Manuverability in the tight woods is key.

I would like to keep my expenditure below $10,000 ($12,000 max!). Narrowed things down to Kub B7510, Kioti CK20 (both a little pricey slightly more than my $12K max), one of the Chinese Jinma/Nortrac types, or a used Massey Ferguson 1235 at a local dealer.

I wanted to ask the forum about the MF1235. I havent been able to find a lot of info/specs on it. It has a MF1244 FEL, 3 range Hydrostatic, 30HP I think. 6 or 7 years old. Looks to be in decent shape, mostly easy usage clearing parking lots of snow, etc. Looks like it was stored primarily outside (faded paint, surface rust, weathered tires), some cosmetic damage to hood/headlight area where something probably fell out of FEL bucket. 961 hours. This seems high. The dealer wants $9500 (before dicker). What do you think? I would probably want new tires and a toothbar.

My biggest worry is the hours. 961 hrs seems a lot - but I have no experience - would like any opinions. What should I look for if I get more serious? I will try to attach a photo.

If it is not this MF, I will probably get serious about a Jinma 224 or 284. No local dealers for Jinma (I'm in Warrenton VA, 50mi west of DC). Jinma/Chinese looks interesting and could be a good challenge. Jinma price is right.

Sorry for the long post,
Thanks,
Worth in Virginia

Attachments

• 499111-1235FrontView.jpg
    499111-1235FrontView.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 834
   / Contemplating Massey 1235 #3  
I agree with Inspector. Looks abused. You wonder if the person who let the tractor rust outside even bothered with the routine maintenence or not. I owned a Massey 1233 and really liked the tractor. Ran smoothly and troublefree. Had to sell it when I moved. Unless the dealer gives you a bargain on this unit I think you would be better off buying a new tractor and financing it. At least a new tractor carries a warranty and you don't have to worry about the previous owners possible abuse or neglect especially with simple things such as regular greasing of the FEL and tractor. Unless you are mechanically inclined or have a great dealer I would avoid a chinese brand. Perhaps an economy kubota such as B7800 or Massey 1400? value series could be afforable to you. They have HST transmisions which make using the FEL more fun to use. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #4  
I don't agree that the tractor looks abused. It does look like it sat outside which many tractors do. I don't see anything bent and the hydraulic lines look ok from the picture. 1000 hours is not many on a small diesel that actually works for a living. Many tractors including mine spend much of their time outside yet get excellent maintaince. I don't know about the price, you may want to ask another dealer what he would give you in trade for it and then add about 25% to that price. Good luck in your decision.

Andy

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #5  
Look at the nose and what is the bent (?) metal behind the front wheel?

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #6  
Looks to me like there is something by the front tire that is all bent up also. I guess if it were me, I would stay away. It may be mechanically sound but it sure would fool me.

murph

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #7  
I don't think that I would buy it. If I did, I would make sure that I got a really good deal. You can bet that the dealer didn't give a very big price for it.

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #8  
This massey you describe does not seem like a great idea, but I dont personally think buying a chinese tractor is a great idea either. But to be fair, you should spend some time down on the Chinese forum so you have a clear picture what you are looking into. Ideally, spend some more time shopping and find the right, clean used tractor. Keep in mind that you could always buy a tractor a bit of distance away, and pay to have it hauled - it usually isnt that big a cost. I would rather have a mint used tractor at a decent price than a cheapie new tractor without the size or capabilities I need...

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #9  
Go to machinerylink.com at the bottom of page click on Used Tractor Price Guide (don't need to register for this) and punch in the info- this tractor lists $11,300 in fair condition, but sorry to say this tractor based on the picture you provided looks like its in Abused Condition. Good Luck on your Tractor Hunt.
Ron

/ Contemplating Massey 1235 #10  
whenley, Just going by the picture; front tires are reversed,front damage as sited by previous posters (bent metal) ,It has spent its life outside perhaps? If your really interested in the tractor check all the fluids and air filter and test drive, definately try out the loader and hydraulics(leakage)...
Now for the pricing you have to make you decision on that,but for my money 960hrs. (which is not that much)in that visual condition, I would offer about $6500 and see what that does first... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You can find a better deal IMO if your not in a hurry?
You can get a new 1428v for $10k add $3k w/loader ,but thats a little over your budget. Sometimes people over buy when purchasing a tractor the later realize they need a smaller one and sell, trade in early ,and if your there you get the sweet deal... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
You have obviously been pricing and any color tractor in this range w/loader is going to cost about the same new which appears to be over budget /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif