Did you buy your tractor out of need or want?

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #21  
First year we moved to this place, we got snowed in...

I was going to look for a blower for my 12 HP Wheel Horse, but it died on me trying to cut brush it really wasn't designed to cut...

So...I got a nice deal on a '91 Deere 670...great little tractor for my three acres. 19 Gross HP and 16 at the PTO...all I needed... The tractor came with a 60" Befco RFM. Nice setup! Then, an ancient 72" back blade was added for the snow plowing. The loader (a #60) was of great use for everything but loading (not much of that when I first bought the tractor).

Until I started pricing chippers and discovering the power requirements were more then my 670's output. That little tractor did a great job running a 60" Land pride cutter (min HP requirements was 20 @ the PTO, We did a great job with 16). However, maybe it was time to upgrade a bit...hence, the 790.

Both tractors are more then I really needed for most tasks, but when combining the work, plus the fact that I wanted a tractor! ...I guess that was all that was necessary.

I do know that the 790 will be all the tractor I'll ever need (up to 10 or so acres anyway). Unless I win the lottery, reckon I'll be set for a while. And, since that 790 has only 54 hours on it, I expect it to go long after I'm gone.

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #22  
Wanted one so I got 3. It's the only hobby I have . I use them all but don't need any of them. Keeps me buisy and I think I could always get my money out of them if I ever decide to sell . Keeps my mechanical skills intact since I now work in an office instead of a shop . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #23  
If I WANTED to get all the things done that I WANTED to, then I NEEDED a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was actually doing ok with out one until we got our third horse.

Like I said...if I WANTED to keep the weeds knocked down, if I WANTED to move all the manure, if I WANTED to smoothe the driveway, if I WANTED to drag trees around to be cut for firewood, if I WANTED to drag the arena, and if I WANTED to do that without hiring some of it done......I NEEDED a tractor.

Mark

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #24  
Mark,

Reflecting on your post...

I think while at first it seems like a need to satisfy your want, if fact since it is the result of a want, it must truly be a sub-want, rather than a true need... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #25  
Well I actually (NEEDED) one but the wife insisted that I (WANTED) one. So after I thought about it I gave her the shovel and asked her to help me backfill 145' water trench. 5 hours later we manged to fill in about 5' of it with 140' to go. We get home (city) and shes on the net looking at tractors and tells me I found one for ya. And the rest is history. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #26  
I needed something to mow my place amd my Mother's, as my my old Ingersoll garden tractor was getting long in the tooth. I was looking at the larger garden tractors (JD 400 series, etc.), and realized for just a bit more $ I could get the BX. I guess we could call it 80% need, 20% want /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Will

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #27  
Need. First I needed to get SOMETHING to drag trees I dropped while we were clearing for the house. I bought the 850 because it was available and within what I wanted to spend in cash. That little guy and a 75$ carry, 2 chains, a clevis and a 3pt drawbar, all were worth their weight in gold. If not just in ease of use, in saving my truck which I had been using as a log skidder.

GC your own house sometime, you find out a lot of little 200-1000 dollar things that arent in the drawings. Thats why the first one was a cash deal.

I then needed a machine to bring wood in for the outdoor wood burner, and transfer it from my woodpile to a "ready" pile next to the woodburner. My mother said "why dont you use a wheelbarrow" I told her that would fill the firebox once, most likely 1/2 full.

I also needed it to plow snow. We got hit pretty well this year and I have a 260' drive that is mostly uphill. 6 foot BB made all the differance in the world. 3 passes on the long part, clear the radius at the road, and about 12 short passes on the level. Unless there was more than 6 in before I got to it, that would pretty well handle it. I also go down the road on my side and clear off the edge. Then the snowplow doesnt leave you a present at he end of your drive. I have a feeling that with the new one I will get to go down the road and clear for the neighbor. Shes the school bus driver and dropped a big HINT last time I saw her /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It also got used to extend a swale through the yard between the house and leech field. the one the contractor put in ended to soon and the rain we had this year pertty well wiped out the side dirt (yard). I had trenches in the hill 2-3 foot deep, down to the septic tank and wires feeding the pump.

I also had a choice, 2000.00 to put in the yard, or 2000.00 on a machine with a FEL that I can use elsewhere. I chose the DIY method. I NEED to put in a cluvert pipe, regrade the front to break water away from the house and leech field, fill areas that were left as really nasty banks by the contractor, fill in just off the road to make the yard usable. Most of the stuff I just posted was NOT in the 2000.00 for yard, that was powerrake and hydroseed. I have to change the way it drains before I worry about grass.

I own 52ac and it is in a woodlot. I am in the tree farm program. To keep the status of a tree farmer, you have to keep back invasive plants, open some areas to wildlife, and maintain your forest so that it will grow well for your logging and future logging. This is where the JD850 didnt quite cut it. I cant get it into places I NEED to get to, and it doesnt have enough butt to do the work if I can get it there. The Mahindra 3510 is going to see some use. It had to be a smaller machine to keep off the harvestable timber and get around without destroying the understory (little trees) yet powerful enough to do some work.

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #28  
I wanted the first tractor that I purchased. It was 4WD & 25 HP and made clearing our property for a pond and home to follow a lot easier than a pick and shovel.

But as our mail order and Internet business quickly took off I realized that I needed something larger and with more HP to help me with the business at hand. So we stepped up to a 40 HP New Holland and haven't looked back since.

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #29  
I'd say for my place, it was a need.
If I didn't have 10+ acres and lots of things to do, it would have been a want.
I wanted ATV's and a RTV just to speed up what "needed" to get done.
BTW - I got my lovely wife to buy the tractor, FEL, MMM, box blade, scraper blade... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I bought the cup holder. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #30  
I bought my <font color="orange"> tractor </font> because I needed to replace the POS Belarus I had that kept breaking down.
Now, the <font color="orange"> tractor </font> I chose to replace the Belarus was purely a want!

Lawrence