Another newbie needs advice....

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #1  

boze_man

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST w/LA723 FEL
Not sure if I should post here or in the Massey forum??

I am considering purchasing a tractor and need some advice. I live in Montana and have 16 acres of pasture (some flat, some contoured), no livestock yet, a quarter mile gravel driveway that needs help. Also the property around the house is in need of some finish landscaping, grading, and cleanup. I would use the tractor for road maint, snow removal, pasture cutting, landscape grading, fencing, moving small trees/shrubs, maybe spraying etc.

I have all the major dealerships nearby, JD, NH, Case, Kubota, and Agco/MF, so I could purchase a new unit, but being new to tractors I would prefer a used one. I love the idea of a tractor, but not sure if I have time to take on these projects. Also I am not sure if we are going to be here long term. I feel that if I get a good used one at a good price and I need to sell at some point I won’t lose as much as selling a new one. Hopefully this makes sense.

There is a lack of used 4wd compact tractors locally, but the MF/Agco dealer has 2 used tractors, both ex-rental/lease. First one is a 2001 MF 1165 w/FEL, 37 pto hp, powershuttle, w/ approx 500hrs. dealer asking $16,900. The other is a 2000 Agco ST45 w/FEL, hydro, 36 pto hp, w/ approx 350 hrs. dealer asking $19,900. Also I think he said there is an extended power train warranty on each, not sure though.

Initial attachments I am looking to purchase are: rear blade, rotary cutter, and landscape rake. I think that should cover most projects to start.

I could get a new NH TC 30 or Kubota B7800 at the same price of the used MF 1165, but I feel it is better to get more hp than less.

I need some advice on:
1) the pricing of the 2 used tractors?
2) the reliability of the 2 used tractors?
3) the resale potential of the 2 used tractors, also vs. a new one?
4) what size? are the 2 used tractors too big fro my needs?
5) should I just forget used and go for new?
6) any opinion in buying an ex-rental/lease?
7) which attachments should I start with?

Also I have not been able to find any info on the MF 1165. Any help?

Hopefully i haven't confused everyone here. I am just trying to determine best course of action.

Thanks

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #2  
AT least you have some used options.

I really only had one dealer that i would consider for personal reasons mainly. He didn't have anything used I was interested in. The only used stuff he had was so nearly new that there was not much price difference.

By the time I took advantage of the 0% interest rate on new it was actually cheaper than used.

Point here is - look at the financing options closely - you might actually get into a new one and have full warranty for what you might pay for a used one with higher interest.

I guess if you are paying cash that wouldn't matter much. Unless you put the cash into an investment and take the 0% financing...

It's always nice to have the new warranty and not worry about buying someone elses problem as well.

You will know how it has been maintained and that you have a good reliable tractor.

The tractor that I bought with my house was supposed to be in decent shape.... I was spending more time working on it than with it..... So I just went and got new and now I with it and not on it.

These little tractors seem to hold their value well - so even with new you probably wouldn't loose bad if you turned around and sold it in one year.

Be sure and buy more than you think you will need - it makes it all the better.....

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #3  
I forgot to mention

If you are going to be doing much of any landscaping I would get a front end loader as well.

I dont recall seeing you mention that you wanted one of these in your post.

I think it is probably the most valuable thing I have....
Just a thought !

happy hunting

tomtom

/ Another newbie needs advice....
tomtom

thanks for the reply.

good point about the financing and warranty. i will look at closely and consider all options.

regarding the FEL, i will definitely get one. i did not include as an attachment because they seem to always include them as 'standard' now.

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #5  
I suffered the new vs. used dilemma. Have to agree -- look at the difference in financing (0% saves a lot of money over the years). You'll probably save more than enough to offset the extra cash for new. New gives you a warranty, a better selection, and the opportunity to tailor the equipment to your needs. Used can turn into buying someone else's problems. "Working" the tractor is always better than "working on it". Always, always buy just a bit bigger -- you'll be surprised the number of things you'll find that need done and there is nothing worse than wishing you had that extra horsepower, etc. Definitely need the FEL! Most of the other attachments - box blade, rake, PHA - are relatively cheap, but worth the money. I have the luck of sharing attachments with neighbors, so only one of us had to buy the expensive backhoe.

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #6  
You're on the right track.. I bought my last 2 NH tractors a coupl eyears old as lease returns from my NH dealer.. good money savings.

I think those two you mention are ok on price.. but maybee still a tad high. When it comes down to new vs used.. if the used is only a bit cheaper than new.. it sometimes 'pays' to go new. Also.. I've seen a new tractor be only a thou more.. and have better ( 0% ) financing, whereas an 'identical' used one got the 'used' rate of 6% and in the end.. costed more.

Like I said.. you are on the right track.. keep looking and then you can make a good decision. It may be that the used market in your area closely parallels the new market, and that may be the only 'margin' savings you get.

Try to find an eicher dealer.. they sell a decent new tractor at a used tractor price.. but are not as 'questionable' as some of the super cheap economy brands.

Soundguy

/ Another newbie needs advice....
rider, soundguy thanks for the reply.

the 2 used tractors are maybe?? a bit more than i need, 45 gross-37 pto hp, bigger frame, etc, and would easily cost over 20k new. i guess the question is it better to get a larger used or smaller new?? and which would have better resale. for example i could get a new NH tc30 w/30 gross hp or the used MF 1165 w/45 gross hp for approx the same price...

i am having a problem comparing apples to oranges...

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #8  
Just my opinion.. but buy a little bigger than you need.

Resale on CUT's stays decent. Resale on newish larger tractors is ok as well... resale on older ag tractors falls off a bit due to low demand.

Some of it is a time issue... I get 4 days a month off... I traded in my beloved NH 1920 (33hp) and got a huge NH 7610s ( 90hp ) so I could pull a 5' mower.. and cut my mowing time down from 6hrs to 3 hrs...

The time issue meant enough to me to do that. And those were the two NH I was talking about.. both were 2ys old when I bought them from the dealer. The dealer gave me almost the same purchase price for my traded 1920 as when i had bought it a couple years earlier. ( I took great care of that machine.. )

Soundguy

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #9  
Boze man,
the fact that you are having a hard time finding used would indicate to me that the resale will probably be higher when you sell if nothing changes.

I bought a rental return and thought it was a good deal. I also agree with SoundGuy......get the larger tractor as long as its not too big to use. (ie. fit in a barn, go around trees, etc).

If you store it inside and take care of it, not only will you get a lot of years of good usage but you should get a good resale price as well.
Best of luck,
Mark

/ Another newbie needs advice.... #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There is a lack of used 4wd compact tractors locally )</font>

Another way to look at it is, if u buy new and don't stay there that long , seems like you wont have any problem selling the tractor.

NEW VS USED? depends on the tractor and the deal u can make. this is really an individual decesion, based on the tractor, the price and YOUR overall thoughts on it.