Newbie looking for advice

/ Newbie looking for advice
Bob,

Again thank you!
Sounds like your suggesting the TC24 or B2410 is adequate for all my needs. If there were a $1000 or less difference between these and the TC29 / B2910 I would think over 10 years it might be a worthy investment? If that is poor logic than it could be a good chunck to put towards a cab for the winter!

/ Newbie looking for advice #12  
You've alreay gotten a lot of good insight - but it didn't look like anyone addressed the dealer comment you shared re gas vs. diesel. There is something to be said for not having to deal with *also* having diesel around if you have to have gas cans there anyway for other power equipment. Diesel also has some quirks on storage, and the motors can be a little nosier than similar sized gas (water cooled gas) engines. Some folks don't care for the exhaust smell of diesels. But other than that I don't think anyone here would recommend a gas tractor when a diesel version (of the same or equivalent tractor) is available. The difference in efficiency is remarkable. My 48hp 7200 lb JD 4710 (with FEL and brush hog) uses HALF of the fuel gallons to cut the same acreage I had been cutting with a 'little' JD 318 (air cooled gas) garden tractor. I can only imagine how stingy a nice sub-compact diesel would be in that duty. Also the general sense I get from owners here is that these small diesels, taken care of, will outlast even water-cooled gas engines by a wide margin of operating hours - maybe even 2:1. Lastly the operating characteristics of a small diesel fit well with tractor usage - typically more useable 'lugging power' than a small gas engine.

/ Newbie looking for advice #13  
Have you thought about looking at the Mahindra 2015 hst, nice unit around the size of a b7510 with more lift capacity , good warranty and finance programs currently or maybe the Kioti CK20?

/ Newbie looking for advice #14  
I suppose that I look at the 24 versus 30 hp tractors this way.

The 24hp units are small tractors but with plenty of HP to run the size implements you want to run. The same size tractors can be had with less hp, but typically I don't find any value in smaller engines, and that is especially true given the fact that you are looking to run PTO powered attachments & implements so going down to a lower HP in the same size machine is going to limit your attachment & implement sizes. Your location and climate indicate thick lush grass and heavy snow are both very likely so I would opt for the most PTO hp I could get inside of the tractor size range I chose.

So that said, then the question is does the 24hp class of machines have enough hp or should you jump up to the 30hp class?

You said up front that you are mostly mowing and concerned about snow blowing as well. You indicated that FEL work was a lower priority. You also indicated that you want to limit the mower deck size to 60" because 72" will very likely cause scalping.

Now taking those things into consideration, then it really makes no sense to go up to the 30hp class of machines because you will have so much reserve power that will be unused as to become inefficient. It is one thing to have some reserve power but too much simply becomes a waste. A deer can be easily taken down with a 30-30 or a .308 and neither will bruise your shoulder when you fire the shot. . . but if you take a .416 Rigby and pull the trigger the deer will be just as dead, the noise will likely wake people 2 counties over, your shoulder will be black and blue for a week and a half and there is that quarter sized hole that you punched through the deer that is just a waste of meat. Essentially you are laying out a list of tasks that fall into the 24hp class of machines, you are looking to buy attachments that fit the 24hp class of machines, but you want to put them on a 30hp tractor. I guess I liken that to the hunting example above. A 30hp tractor will suit your needs just fine for a 6 acre property but so will a 24hp tractor. A 30hp tractor will be pretty large for a 4 acre property if most of your tasks are mowing and blowing as you have described earlier.

I have personal experience with both the TC24 and the B2910 so I will share my experience and try to limit my bias. I would also do a few things like measure your garage and consider your landscaping. The TC24 fits in my garage while the B2910 is too tall unless the ROPS is dropped down. The TC24 turns much tighter so mowing actually goes faster because I can get around landscaping with far less back tracking. The ROPS on the TC24, being lower, fits under some branches that the B2910 won't fit under making mowing in the trees easier.

The reality is you will need to decide what you want to buy and how much you want to spend and who you will spend it with. I suspect that the pricing of the machines will be run from cheapest to most expensive in this order: B2410, TC24, B2910, TC29. There will be more than a $1000 spread between the bottom and the top. The two 24hp machines will likely be fairly close, the two 30hp machines will jump up a bit and the gap is likely to be a bit larger than the gap between the smaller machines.

There are a lot of other machines out there, and most are probably very nice machines. Your #1 task is mowing, that would take me to a smaller, lighter, faster turning machine. Your #2 task is snowblowing, I would not go below 24hp for that because it will give you the power to run a 60" blower in heavy wet snow or a 60" deck in heavy thick lush grass. Your #3 task is FEL work, there you might find some advantage in a heavier machine but most any machine has a capable loader. If your priorities were different, and FEL work was higher up the list, then I would probably push for the NH just based on its capabilities and its visibility.

/ Newbie looking for advice #15  
Mr CJ -

I needed to primarily replace an aging 38" Craftsman riding mower - my 2-3 acres (11 in total) used to take @ 2 1/2 hours to mow.

Knowing I also wanted more than just a riding mower - I looked at sub-compact and compact tractors in the 20 - 25 hp range.

I ended up with a Kubota B7610 (24 hp) - a combination of price (lowest), dealer proximity, Kubota reputation and the dealer experience helped me with the decision.

I am very satisfied with my decision - my wife is begrudingly admitting that we get alot accomplished (she wanted sub-CUT becuase of price - I insisted on a CUT for more FEL capacity) with the tractor - so I think in the long run (10 - 15 years) she'll admit it was a great investment (in terms of saving US time & getting more accomplished).

All that being said - I can mow my 2-3 acres in about 1 hour with my 54" MMM. I am very happy with the mowing finish - even with R4 tires - and find the B7610 is remarkably nimble for its' size! Only *soggy* areas don't like the R4 treads - but I couldn't get through *mud season* if I only had turfs. If you stayed in the 24 hp range - I'd guess you could mow your 4 acres in @ 2 hours with a 60" mower. (assuming you don't have lots of obstacles to mow around - I have some)

As you said you'd be doing "light FEL" work - I'd think that a larger CUT (B2910 / TC29 etc.) might be *too much* for just a mower - soil compaction may become a factor. You can still lift / move an amazing amount of stuff with a *smaller* B7610 or TC24 sized tractor! Manueverability of the smaller sized CUTs is better too.

You also mentioned you have a small hilly area - does this need to be mowed? I think you could manuever any tractor carefully on smaller hills - but if this also needs to be mowed regularly - then some attention should be paid to tractor stability on inclines - I can't really offer an opinion as I really have no hills and only the one Kubota - maybe some test drives?

Lastly - will your *Approval Department* (ie wife) also be using the tractor? Make sure she also feels comfortable with the size you have in mind. My wife is *just* a little apprehensive with our B7610 - it's much larger than the old riding mower. But of course I've also spent the majority of the time in the drivers' seat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope that helps - happy hunting!

Dan

/ Newbie looking for advice #16  
Dan, good points.

You also bring up the B7610, which is functionally identical to the B2410 I had mentioned (same frame, same engine).

The B7610 is a great tractor as well, it simply has fewer creature comforts and features. But the reality is many people don't need or want some of those added features offered by the B2410 so the cost savings of opting for the B7610 instead of the B2410 is not really giving up anything tangible.

/ Newbie looking for advice
Dan,

Well said!
I will apologize now as I had to LOL when you asked about my wife using it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The only time she touches the existing machine is when she piles her *%#( on it in the garage. I inconvenience her when I need to get the tractor out to cut grass /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
All recommendations have me leaning towards the TC24 or B2410. I may look at JD if for no other reason than to help push me towards the others /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bob makes a good point about visibility with the FEL on the NH TC24 vs. K B2410.
Hopefully I can find a dealer who is willing to put some figures together.
I appreciate the help!

/ Newbie looking for advice #18  
Bob -

I actually wanted a B2410 - but my dealer said that it was being *replaced* by the B7610. Since then I've seen people are still purchasing the B2410's - so perhaps my dealer had none in stock - and just wanted to move to the newer models? (B7410 / B7510 / B7610)

All that being said - and since I didn't have any plans for tilling / ground engagement - I could forego the position control that a B2410 would have offered - I just really wanted the extra loader capacity of the LA352 FEL - which was only offered on B2410 / B7610 models. Comparing the features specs - I think the only differences are that the B2410 has: "Deluxe Seat"; Position Control 3PH; larger fuel capacity (6.3 vs 5.3 gal) and larger 3PH capacity (1300 vs 1058 lbs - 24" behind lifting point). (OK - you can also get the bi-speed turn)

From what I've seen - it looks like a B2410 w/LA 352 FEL would go for @ $1,000 - 1,500 more than a B7610 - and I would have been hard-pressed to justify this to the "Finance Comittee" - it was hard enough getting the B7610/LA352 over a nicely priced *left over* B7500/LA302 - but I'm glad I got the extra loader capacity.

I've read your numerous posts comparing NH vs Kubota loader capacities - but the additional @ $2,000 for a TC24 wasn't justified for my uses. I have learned that my LA352 can still lift the back tires if I'm not properly counter-balanced! It's done everything I've asked of it - and then some.

I didn't test drive the TC24 because the higher price put it out of contention (Ok - I was leaning towards Kubota anyway!) - so I can't comment on the FEL visibility either - other to say that I think people simply adapt to what they have. Not to say the NH curved FEL arms aren't easier for new owners to get comfortable with...

Ok - now I'm rambling /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

/ Newbie looking for advice #19  
Dan, I think your comments about usabilty are right on target, we all adapt to what we have. And any loader is a lot better than a shovel and a bucket!!! In this case, the loader is not the #1 priority, I see no reason to push the NH over the Kubota. For that matter, I see no reason to push either brand over JD either, but I don't seem to have very good luck with my local JD dealer.

The cost differences are very regional as I got the NH simply because my Kubota dealer chose not to deal (I have purchased 1 White, 2 Cubs and 1 Kubota from him, 2 of those since the purchase of the NH last year). The NH ended up being about $1200 less expensive than the Kubota! But that is just my experience.

Kubota advertises BOTH the B2410 and the B7610 in magazine advertisements.

/ Newbie looking for advice #20  
I found that the JD's in the area were considerably more expensive than NH, Kubota, and Massey.

I also found that I was in a similar situation bouncing between the 24 HP and 30 HP. Until I laid my eyes on a Massey 1428V. THis tractor is small enough that you can get into tighter spaces than the 30's, but it also handles a great load of work more so than the 24's

I will say that I am new to all of this, but I spent countless hours contemplating some of the same questions and concerns.