Newbie looking for advice

/ Newbie looking for advice #21  
Sounds like you have tractoritis.. I had the same disease a few months ago. Bob S did me a favor and suggested a Power Trac would match my needs better. I have purchased the PT and it has far exceeded my expectations as a landscape machine. Sounds to me like you are looking for a landscape machine. Scroll down to the Power Trac Forum and take a look you may like what you see, I do.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sg

/ Newbie looking for advice
Tractoritis is correct! My wife calls it tractorannoyis! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
She did however say thank you to everyone who has contributed as this is an important (expensive) proposition and I don't want to make a mistake!
As I said earlier all insight is of value.
I have requested 3 bids from Kubota dealers and have heard nothing. Two of the NH quotes are back. I'll post numbers after I talk with people as I'm sure these are list. I hope there's room to negotiate!

/ Newbie looking for advice #23  
MrCJ

Since you mentioned the TC30, I thought I'd throw my 2 pennies in.

I have a TC30 and it's been a great machine but I have to agree with Bob S. Since you said you will be primarily mowing with the tractor go with the smaller framed cut. Less compaction, more manuverable and still able to cut a 5' swath. A 5' implement just covers the tracks on my TC30 with R4s. Turfs may be a little wider, I don't know.

I'm looking to replace my Craftsman riding mower with 42" deck with a small cut for mowing 1 acre now and 3 acres in the near future. As good as my TC30 is at the tasks I bought it for, I doubt it will ever pull a finish mower.

Good luck

Rodger

/ Newbie looking for advice #24  
Chris, I live in White Haven, Which is a few miles south of you. I have a Kubota B7800 which is a B2910 without the bells-and-whistles. If you have any questions about the good and bad about this tractor, PM me. Joe.

Okay here are the figures. First let me say what a difference dealing with these guys vs. JD & CC /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I liked the TC24DA, but the TC29DA was very impressive. May be more than I really need, but not sure.

TC24DA hydro with 12LA and 914 60" MMM was $17,350 + tax
Dealer will deliver tractor for trial w/o mower at no charge or obligation. Dealer will deliver and provide instruction at sale -no charge. Dealer will pick-up & return for any warranty work free of charge. Corriher quoted $17,649

TC29DA hydro with 14LA and 914 60" MMM was $19,950 as above. Corriher quoted $20,200

FYI - Dealer is probably 25 miles away

51CS Snow thrower would be $3950 additional ( I think that's a little high and probably negotiable) Corriher quoted $3700

I also visited my local JD dealer to look at possible comparibles.
The 4115 is closest to the TC24 & 4210 to the TC29 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JD 4115 hydro $14,815
410 Loader $2,569
60" MMM $2,684
Total = $20,068 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yeh right!

JD 4210 as above "about 3500 more!" SURE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Then there is the fact that the NH has 0% for 48 months with financing to 107% PA tax is 6% /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Agreed the TC29DA is a bigger unit and probably a little more than I need, but price sounded good!

Okay guys, feed back please!!

/ Newbie looking for advice #26  
Hey MrCJ:

I was reading your posts and am wondering why you are not considering a 31HP Ventrac articulated tractor?

They are probablyone of the best mowing machines and you can buy a TON of implements for them, including a FEL. Bob can tell you how much he loves his...

BTW: I live in New Holland

Jim!

/ Newbie looking for advice #27  
pequeajim . . . the reason I didn't recommend Ventrac, Steiner or even PT is that in the original post Chris wrote his land was mainly flat with a small hilly area. But you are right, I do love the Ventrac, and I think the mowing quality meets or exceeds anything else on the market, the cut is simply amazing, far better than any ZTR that I've seen and better than the GTs and CUTs.

Chris . . . as for your choices, the 24 or the 29. Here is where I boil it all down, you have 4 acres. A TC29 is a big tractor for 4 acres. A TC29 is a nice size tractor for 10 to 15 acres. A TC24 is a nice size tractor for 3 to 10 acres.

Is the 29 a nicer tractor? YOU BET IT IS. The operators platform is spacious compared to the platform of the 24. There are more creature comforts on the 29 as well like the extendable lower links on the 3pt and the suspension seat. But if it was me, I would not buy a 29 as my only tractor for 4 acres. Now if you can talk to the wife and get her to approve the 29 ALONG WITH a small tractor for mowing, then go for it. But the 29 on 4 to 6 acres is sort of like shooting Bambi with an elephant gun.

Ultimately if you buy the 24 your will wish you bought the 29. Tim "the toolman" Taylor is deeply ingrained in the male psyche and we all want bigger & better even if it makes no sense and even if we know rationally that it is a mistake. But I also suspect that if you buy the 29, there will come a time when the realization will hit you that smaller would have been better and bigger can hamper the little tasks.

If you had 8 to 10 acres and were wavering between the two, and emotionally you wanted the bigger but rationally the smaller fit a bit better, then I would suggest you should go with emotion and get the bigger machine. It is JUST MY OPINION but I think smaller is better on 4 to 6 acres.

I was afraid you'd say that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I knew that, but I guess needed to hear it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I was just out cutting / scattering leaves about (best time to do some serious thinking!)
Perhaps I would be best served waiting till spring and take my chances on the great rates and new models with price increases.
The PA farm show is in January and it's probably the best place to see everything out there under one roof. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
It's too big an investment to go into aimlessly.
I have till the end of November on the pricing.
Decisions.. Decisions /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Newbie looking for advice #29  
Chris, I think that waiting is fine if you don't need the tractor now. On the other hand, over thinking these things can make you totally crazy.

Sometimes it is easiest to simply go out and just buy the darn thing! Heck, the lovely Mrs_Bob knows that when she leaves town to visit her family that there will be something new parked in the garage! As she is only gone for 4 or 5 weeks at a time, I don't have too much time to track down the new toy.

Many people only look at one brand, they buy it, and they are happy.

When I bought my latest tractor, I started out looking for the world's best garden tractor and ending up buying something that doesn't even look like a tractor from a manufacturer than most people (myself included) have never heard of. I started out with a LIST OF MUST HAVE FEATURES and ended up with a machine that probably only has 1/2 of the features on the must have list, but has so many other things that are better than the other half of the list so that my original list looks silly by comparison.

I guess it all boils down to getting something that suits you. These tractors will last for DECADES if we treat them properly it really is important that you are happy with your purchase. If you think that NH blue is the color for you, then jump on it and don't look back. If you are a JD green lover, that is fine too. Massy and Mahindra are red; Kubota & Kioti are orange; Cub is yellow. All are good tractors and all will do the job you want done. The reality is that one will suit your desires better than the others, and that boils down to your personal choices. Over thinking and second guessing may get you a better tractor but probably will simply confuse you even more. Buy it, love it, and then get your wife a nice bracelet because you are going to want to buy some implements soon.

Probably the first accessory will be a cab so I can live in it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have tried twice to upload picture of the property to no avail.
I'll try an attachment /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif