Newbie looking for advice

/ Newbie looking for advice #1  

MrCJ

I just found this site yesterday and have to say I've learned alot already. I am in the process of researching for an early spring purchase of a compact tractor w/ FEL, MMM, and possibly a ST.
I started by looking at the Cub Cadet 5254 / 7 series. My local dealer tried to pawn off a 2 year old tractor as new which has turned me off! I also have a JD, Kubota, and Farmtrac dealer within 3 miles of my residence. My primary focus is mowing of my 4 acres with light FEL use around the property. It is mainly flat, but does have a small hilly area. I am located in NE PA so the snow thrower has some appeal as my driveway is 200' long with a 150' x 100' parking area. I have not ruled out any manufacturers or specific tractors. I am looking for HST with 4WD and cruise control as primary features. My understanding is that Farmtrac does not offer a mid PTO? The K B2910 is very appealing. The JD 4115 is also on the list. What about NH TC30?
I currently use a CC w/ 44" deck and it's killing me! I have used a Woods Mowing Machine w/ 62" deck, but can't keep it from sliding on the hill or wet grass. You all appear to have a great deal of experience and knowledge and I am just a dumb old yankee who doesn't want to part with his money needlessly /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I look forward to your thoughts

/ Newbie looking for advice #2  
It sounds like you want a full featured tractor from your description. With 4 acres, I would be looking at the Sub-CUT class of tractors with a 60" deck. The Sub-CUTS come standard with hydrostatic transmissions, each is a great mowing machine, each will take a front mount snowblower, each will take a front end loader. By the way, my opinion only, but I think the cruise control is fairly worthless, I have it, but really don't have a use for it. I suppose IF I had some long straight runs to deal with, then I would use it???

The machines I would strongly consider (in no particular order) JD2210, Kubota BX series, Case DX & NH TZ series tractors. These tractors have roughly 20 to 24 hp. They are all about the same size as the Cub 5000 series machines, and are all designed for the type of work you are looking to do.

If you want to go the next step up in size, then you have lots more choices, but there may not be any real need to go up in size unless you plan on doing some additional tractor type chores that require a heavier duty tractor accomplish. I would next take a look at the JD4115, Kubota B2410, New Holland TC24 or Case/Farmall DX24. All are about the same size and will also run 60" mower decks. You need to go up to about 28 to 30 hp before you can really comfortably run a 72" mower deck, and as you go up in HP you also go up in tractor size. I use a Kubota B2910, but I don't mow with it, I have two smaller machines (NH TC24 & Ventrac 3000) that I use for mowing because they are more manuverable and easier to get in and around the landscaping.

/ Newbie looking for advice
Bob,

Thanks for the insight. I understand your suggestions, but have to deal with the dreaded "what if" "should of" issue of the wife! Sorry, we're all hen pecked to some degree! This may be a one shot deal! I figure I can justify some degree of upgrade for a 10-15 year investment. I don't think I can accomodate a 72" deck due to scalping in areas. My thought on the CC is that I do have a fair amount of straight runs. I guess my concern is what units have the best reliability, customer satisfaction, ease of use and maintenance. One dealer said stay gas vs. diesel? Confusion! I may add 2 acres in the future to mow, but I don't forsee any major implement changes. Any insight on the NH Boomers? Why is it that JD dealers don't want to deal?

/ Newbie looking for advice #4  
I've walked into my JD dealership with a checkbook just HOPING to get a sales rep to talk to me, walked out and bought a Cub Cadet 1862 garden tractor. Then a few years later did it again, walked out and bought a Kubota B2910. Last year I went in to the JD dealer again, but knew what would happen. Left there to go to buy a Kubota, and ended up buying a New Holland TC24D instead. This year I wanted to buy another mower to allow me to semi-retire the Cub, I didn't even bother with the JD dealer and consequently bypassed Toro because they also sell those. I wanted a new string trimmer for the wife, the JD dealer sells Stihl, so I bypassed that brand and bought an Echo. My executive V.P. at my company needed a new lawnmower, so I figured I'd buy him a ZTR, I went to the Cub Cadet dealer and bought him a ZTR, I think the JD dealer had some better units, but I wasn't going to bother going there again. <font color="green"> I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHY MY JD DEALER WON'T DEAL, HECK I CAN'T EVEN FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET HIM TO SELL ME ANYTHING AT FULL PRICE! </font>

As for the other stuff you asked about, I love the New Holland boomer tractors. I've posted a lot of stuff about how the 24hp NH is equal in many ways to the larger 30hp B2910 and how, in some ways I even find it to be the superior machine. Go to the PHOTOS page of this website and look up my photo gallery in the members gallery section, you will see a few things I've done to modify my TC, you will also see a visual comparison of the view forward you get with the NH curved style hoods/loaders versus the traditional style offered by Kubota.

If you are considering going up to 6 acres, then seriously look at the NH TC24 and/or the Case/Farmall DX24 (they are the same tractors with different paint and different headlamps) both are made by CNH (Case-New Holland Corp). Also look at the other brands of 24hp machines. The CNH products have the highest front end loader capacity and best view, but it sounds like mowing is your bigger concern, so find the machine that fits you best and the dealer that treats you right. See which dealer has good parts and service support. All the brands are good.

/ Newbie looking for advice #5  
I think the cruise control is fairly worthless,

I have CRUISE on my JD. I used it once just to say that I had. If I mowed athletic fields, I might use it, but for the average lawn? Forget it. I would gladly trade in the CRUISE for handles on the fenders (I mow sidehills and need to lean WAY over).

My brother has 4 acres and he just bought a JD 2210 w/ loader 54" mower and snowblower. It's a nice little machine. The only thing about it that struck me as odd was the lack of a glowplug indicator on the dash. Not a big deal, but it's something I have grown accustomed to.

I have no experience with the Kubota subcompacts, so I can't offer any opinion. Two of my family members have "L" series models and are quite happy with them. They are good, solid and dependable machines ( Personally, I just don't like the color orange. Nothing against Kubota or Allis /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

I have had very good luck with Cub Cadet, but it sounds like your dealer is a snot. I have used the crap out my Cub and it's (knock on wood) still going strong.

Were I to buy another new tractor today, I would be tempted to try a new DX Farmall.

Just my $0.02. Good luck and keep asking questions so people like me can stand up on our soapboxes... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess my concern is buying too small and regretting the decision for a long time! The other side of the coin is getting something too big and impracticle for my needs. Bigger isn't always better?
Now I'm leaning towards the NH TC29DA w/ 4L FEL, 60" MMM, & 51CS ST? Prices anyone???
Other thought is K B2910 same way.
I see your point with the loader view! Great comparison shots!
I do have a NH dealer within 20 miles! Hope they are willing to talk! NH is offering 0% for 48 mo.'s? Might be a good ploy with the wife to act sooner than later /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soapboxes - ****! EXPERIENCE!
Information and opinions are what make this process confusing, but can save you from making BIG$$$ and stupid mistakes!
No one knows everything, but everyone knows something!
I don't intend on doing this again in the near future. It was this or buy a jeep! Personally I'd like to play, but it's difficult to cut grass with a jeep!
Ironically there a re several similarities between buying a vehicle and a tractor. DEALERS!

/ Newbie looking for advice #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( have CRUISE on my JD. I used it once just to say that I had. )</font>

I guess this must just be an issue with HST people.. us gear guys have pretty much had cruise control since the early days of tractors with hand thorttles. Select a gear.. select a throttle setting.. as long as the governor has enough travel.. your ground speed stays essentially the same unless you loose traction , clutch slips, or rpms bog down under extreme load that the governor can't make up.

And it is great for constant rpm/speed jobs.. like mowing for hours at a time.

I'm so used to dash mounted hand throttles that i almost never used the foot throttle on my ex- Nh 1920.. and have yet to use it onmy 7610s.

Soundguy

/ Newbie looking for advice #9  
It is hard to compare the TC29 to the B2910 because they are really different types of tractors in my mind. The B2910 is going to be the better mowing machine, the TC will be the better working machine with greater capacity. Both are better suited to 72" moweres. Both are on the large side of what you need but I'm sure many will say that bigger is better. I am a firm believer that that is untrue. I understand the desire to get the biggest tractor now, but going too big will be a problem not only now but forever. If you only want a 60" mower (which does seem to be very reasonable) then why pay for a tractor that will power a 72" mower? And if you want the FEL strenght the B2910 has, then go DOWN in size and get the New Holland TC24, it actually has slightly more FEL capacity than the B2910. On the other hand, the TC29 has 1000# more breakout force and 20% more total lift capacity than the B2910 or the TC24 or DX24.

It sounds like you really NEED a mowing tractor, it sounds like you WANT a H.D. working tractor. The NH TC24 or Case DX24 is a full featured tractor with all the whistles and bells and will do both. The Kubtoa B2410 is also a full featured machine with all the whistles and bells, it has a lower FEL capacity, but is equally capable of mowing or working. Both are well suited for 4 to 6 acres. I would say the Kubota is lighter so it would likely be a slightly better mowing machine, the Case/NH is a bit beefier with greater capacity and would be slightly better at working. But seriously both are excellent machines, both are also top of the line tractors with things like cruise control, true position control for the 3pt hitch, etc. Heck the NH even has a 12-volt outlet under the seat.

/ Newbie looking for advice #10  
I guess this must just be an issue with HST people.. us gear guys have pretty much had cruise control since the early days of tractors with hand thorttles. Select a gear.. select a throttle setting..

I am not touching that with a 10' pole... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif