Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #31  
I almost forgot. One kept in good condition will bring about the same today as they cost new. That's hard to beat! :)

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #32  
I almost forgot. One kept in good condition will bring about the same today as they cost new. That's hard to beat! :)

Rutwad,
You bring up a good point...the more bells and whistles, the greater the chance of something going wrong or malfunctioning. True with tractors, cars, and most anything. It increases the level of complexity and requires almost a different skill set to repair.

I guess one has to weigh whether those added niceties, which also cost more are really worth it. Sometimes it's also at the expense of reliability.
John

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #33  
GMan,
Thanks for the comments....Much of LS's size or revenue is because they are a Contract Manufacturer. I haven't looked, but, I'd bet if you looked at both companies financial statements, we would see that Deere commands a higher gross margin (meaning they get more for their product). Being able to get more for your product is another indicator of buyer confidence and satisfaction. Those in the business world who deal with "Contract Manufacturers" (like myself) know that contract mfg work on thin margins. Like I said, I haven't looked at the FS of either company.

I would say that I've heard that LS makes a very good product, as testified by many on this site. It does make you wonder however, why they don't sell all the units under their own name. Just some questions to ponder. I've also read of many accounts of the great service given by Deere dealers. I don't recall any testimonials on the LS network (not implying they don't exist). That is if you believe that dealer support after the sale is another part of the equation.

As I stated earlier, I don't have a "dog in this fight". I have a "Sears Garden Tractor". My views were from the vantage point of analysis in making a business decision. Which this is, as opposed to an emotional choice in the color club.

I respect your opinion. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.
John
PS: If IIRC, Mahindra has revs. larger than any one. But, as I said originally, size does not necessarily equate to being the best. Things just aren't that simple unfortunately.

You make some good points...no doubt. It seems things have gotten very complicated in the tractor world over the last ten years or so. While LS certainly does have a significant amount of revenue from being a contract manufacturer, it's more complicated than that, when you look at the big picture. For example, LS buys some larger machines from Case/NH for sale outside of the U.S., which tells me even Case/NH isn't selling all of their machines under their own name....then again, some of those are more Fiat products than anything else, but that's the point where my head starts to hurt, and I stop trying to sort through it :)

I think the average Deere dealer provides very good service once you buy something from them, but some/many have been knocked on their attitude prior to the sale (obviously this will vary significant). The reports in the LS section about warranty work have been very positive, and there have been a number of situations that illustrate how LS as a corporation has responded to problems by redesigning parts, etc. I don't expect a company to make a perfect product, but I do expect them to address problems, and it seems LS has been very responsive. Regardless, I take all of this stuff with a grain of salt...a forum is a great resource, but there are lots of tractor owners who don't take part.

I'm certainly no industry expert, but I think the competition is so intense in the 30-40hp tractor segment, that pretty much all of the manufacturers are putting out solid products. I wouldn't be worried taking home anything made/sold by Deere, Kubota, Case/NH, Mahindra, Massey Ferguson, Kioti, LS, TYM, or Yanmar. I suspect there's no way to tell who really makes the most reliable machine...all you're going to get are people saying "my buddy had a problem with is xyz" or similar, and that doesn't really help you at all. I suspect that most weekend warriors (like me) don't put enough hours on their machines to get an accurate gauge for wear/tear/reliability for many years, and then they'll start to run into problems that are the result of time (seals drying, etc), not manufacturing quality issues.

I guess that means you can sorta flip a coin, and expect to be okay :)

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #34  
Rutwad,
You bring up a good point...the more bells and whistles, the greater the chance of something going wrong or malfunctioning. True with tractors, cars, and most anything. It increases the level of complexity and requires almost a different skill set to repair.

I guess one has to weigh whether those added niceties, which also cost more are really worth it. Sometimes it's also at the expense of reliability.
John

I will say I have had some trouble with newer tractors. Some issues may be small and may be a very easy fix. Others may be small and you kick yourself after paying a mechanic to come out for a 5 minute fix you overlooked. (Reminds me, do you have a way to transport? Having a mechanic drive out is NOT cheap!)

JD 6420 Premium, under 1000 hrs- pulled up to fuel tank one morning to top it off. Could not get it to move for anything after that. Simple fix, just took the right mechanic to find it.
Unrelated, but same tractor was parked at pole barn and squirrels at through a wiring harness that cost around $3400.

JD 6310- Left stranded and walked back on more than one occasion. Electrical issue that hasn't been found yet.

JD 5525, about 700 hrs- trouble with electo-hydraulic 3 point hitch.

MF 5465 1700 hours- Often have to shut it down and restart so it will move. Recently started not revving on a couple occasions. Maybe 1 out of 10 times. Transmission has upshifted in range and gear more than once. Surging under light load running 1300 RPM or so. May be injector pump or other. And turning on the high beam headlights or blowing the horn acts like it takes an immediate 10 HP away from the engine. Tractor pulls good, but very weak in top 4 gears.

JD 700k dozer----OMG at the new emission crap and the trouble it caused. Had about 500 hours on it.

Kubota 9000- rides like a wagon compared to JD, but no problems come to mind with 2000 hours.

Kubota M9540- No problems come to mind with this one either. Probably 1600 hours, maybe way off there.

So pick your poison. Electrical conveniences or old fashion mechanical reliability. And that is not going to necessarily be the case. I'm sure others have had perfectly good newer tractors and trouble with older ones. But do keep in mind warranty and transporting. Mechanics charge from time they leave the shop until they return, plus mileage.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #35  
Bigcut, why a sears garden tractor?? For sure Sears didn't make it.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #36  
Bigcut, why a sears garden tractor?? For sure Sears didn't make it.

For one, that's all I really need at this point, is a Sears Garden Tractor 20 hp. And your correct, Sears didn't make the tractor.

My point was, I don't have a bias to any of the colors (because I don't own any of them) that are being considered as candidates for selection (Sears is not a candidate). What I was proposing to Whiteknight was a structured approach that would enable the analysis to be done objectively. Because he's never going to find a site that provides the kind of information he's seeking in selecting a tractor, as stated by others on this site.

If you review my posts, I did NOT recommend any brand or model. That/s for him to decide based on his research and his needs.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #37  
For one, that's all I really need at this point, is a Sears Garden Tractor 20 hp. And your correct, Sears didn't make the tractor.

My point was, I don't have a bias to any of the colors (because I don't own any of them) that are being considered as candidates for selection (Sears is not a candidate). What I was proposing to Whiteknight was a structured approach that would enable the analysis to be done objectively. Because he's never going to find a site that provides the kind of information he's seeking in selecting a tractor, as stated by others on this site.

If you review my posts, I did NOT recommend any brand or model. That/s for him to decide based on his research and his needs.

Don't get so mad. Just asking why you went Sears? When I had my GT I went with Simplicity. Loved that machine great cut.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #38  
For me the first thing is what are my needs. 2nd was shopping a Dealer cause machinery does break down. Resale did not come up as I went in thinking of keeping it not selling it. My Machine's not a Bank.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #39  
Don't get so mad. Just asking why you went Sears? When I had my GT I went with Simplicity. Loved that machine great cut.

Sorry if that sounded angry...it wasn't intended that way..Truth is my daughter and son-in-law bought it as a gift for me. So, I really didn't select it. It was a surprise. I guess they bought it to keep me off the streets. As a used unit, it's been trouble free. A few years ago I had to replace a small gear attached to the starter. Wish I had a unit like yours, but, then again it would be too big for my 1/3 acre and no place to keep it.

Murph, I've always enjoyed your posts. You have a way of getting right to the point and often times with a sense of humor. Thanks for asking.
John

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #40  
What I was proposing to Whiteknight was a structured approach that would enable the analysis to be done objectively. Because he's never going to find a site that provides the kind of information he's seeking in selecting a tractor, as stated by others on this site.

FYI, Whiteknight only has two posts here, and the last one was ten years ago....hopefully he's not still looking!