Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #1  

whiteknight

I am having one heck of a time deciding what tractor to buy. Everyone who has ever bought a tractor says it is the best deal on the planet but I really need to know which ones are the most reliable for the long haul.

I am looking to buy a used tractor so reliability really is an issue. Everyone who talks about their tractors say they are really dependable, but they usually have low hours. How good are they when they hit 1000 or more? Yeah a three year waranty.... if any diesel tractor didn't last longer then three years the manufactuer should be flogged. Is there any independent place where you can find information on the long term reliability of the different makes. I did find one site;
The Small Tractor FAQ
where he gives a basic list of reliable and non reliable tractors. It breaks down like this:

<font color="red">Service-Challenged </font> Kioti, Belarus, Rhino, Shenniu, Long, Zetor, ITC, Tafe, Same, Hurlimann, Landini, Grey Market tractors

<font color="green">Service-Neutral </font> Kubota, Massey-Ferguson, New Holland, John Deere, Cub Cadet, Case-IH, AGCO-Allis, White

Now I admit this is an older site last updated in 2000, but so far it is the only site that doesn't seem affiliated with any company that is selling tractors. So you can see my problem.

I hear a lot of people talk about how great there Kioti is or others that were not even listed yet they are considered not good long termer by this site. Is there any where else to get info that isn't biased. Like the different sites for buying used cars? Is there anyone out there who really has the know when it comes to the reliability of tractors that have 500 or more hours on them?
<font color="blue">Please help me</font> as it really limits your choices if you can only pick from Cub, NH, Deere, Kubota, M-F. I would really like to have some unbiased long term info on some of the other brands. How often do they break down, how hard are parts to get. Things that you don't know when the tractor only has a few hours on it.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #2  
I'm not sure that anyone can provide the answers you are looking for.

Small Tractor FAQ is probably about as correct as anyone can be in terms of long term bets on reliability. Certainly any brand that hasn't been represented well in the US for a decade or two is going to be questionable. And the newer brands may be excellent machines, but their volume numbers are going to be so low that getting any realistic assesment of long term quality, long term parts availability, etc will be sketchy at best.

As you are looking for a used machine, you may find it best to stay with the brands that have machines that have been around for a long time and are well proven. Some machines that have had long production runs come to mind. The JD 790 and 990 have been around a while, are proven, and are in production. The NH TC30, while on the lower power end of your scale falls into the same category of a proven design. I think you'd find at least one Massy model that would fit your needs that has had a long production run.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #3  
I see this is your first post… Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for your question; I don’t know if such a site is available… even if you found one I don’t know how one could evaluate the information that may be presented.

I have over 900 hrs. on my 1998 Kubota L4200, I do not think this is even close to enough hours to have any troubles. The main consideration on any machine is … How is it maintained? How is it used? If you take reasonable care of modern equipment it should last. If you don’t, you can not expect anything to last.

I had a MF65 that I couldn’t even guess how many thousand hours were on it, far as I know it is still a very dependable tractor.

The most accurate indicator I could guess would be used tractor pieces. How much value is still with a used machine after 1k, 2k, 3k, 5k, hours? If the second market dose not hold up, it MAY reflect its longevity. If parts are scarce or future supply at risk … that could have a reflection on value/dependability. Your profile is not filled out so cannot comment on your location… but you should go with what seems to be popular in your location. That should be a hedge to future parts availability. There is no simple answer to your question /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. KennyV.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #4  
Welcome
You are dreaming, sorry to say. If you want 'reliable', then look at the used market. Used prices compared to new will show you what the market perceives as 'reliable'.

Bottom line, to me, is go with Deere (I like Deere, so am prejudiced, I admit). But I really think the important thing is to find a dealer that you can work with, and then hope that dealer stays in business (which will require you to spend some money there to help him stay in business) so the little things (hopefully no big items) get attention and keep you satisfied. Regardless the brand (color), if the dealer is operating a junk yard with some new stuff on the side, he likely isn't going to be around when you need him. You will be travelling and begging for help (IMO). I know, they have to 'begin' somewhere, and that is fine if you want to help.

I have a great Deere dealer (hope he does well) and feel the Deere company will continue to be strong in the future and continue to make quality equipment. I have access to a great Kubota dealer, also sells New Holland. If I wasn't partial to green, that is where I would go.

So my suggestion? Find a good dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #5  
I think all tractors are basically reliable, but there are operators who may have used tractors in a manner which is abusive. I think the human element is a greater factor than the "reliablity" of the tractor factor.

You may find a tractor with many hours on it that is in better condition than a tractor with a few hours on it simply because it was well maintained and operated in a non-abusive manner.

How you as an individual operate equipment will also determine the mean time to failure. I have seen people take a perfectly good machine and beat the tar out of it and then complain that something was wrong with it, it did hold up.

If I had to suggest what tractor I think has proven the most reliable over the years it would be the Ford 8N or John Deere's. I had an 8N and have seen other 50 year old Deeres out there still doing an honests days work.

How does someone rate a tractor that is only 4 or 5 years old, can they say this machine will last 50 years no matter who makes it? There are a lot of good tractors out there, they just haven't had the opportunity and time to prove themselves yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Randy

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #6  
Ok I am biased but I will throw in a 135 Massey it would be a great /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif choice in this size range you requested. Around here it would be the most sought after used tractor on the market.
Because it is very dependable.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #7  
Don't forget MAHINDRA!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range
Thanks for the info. I am really surprised that I found the only site on the web that rates tractors. I thought there must be other sites that I had not found. I am actually buying my first real tractor and will only be using it to mow about 4 ac. and snow blow a driveway. I will also be using it for loader work to rebuild one stone wall and remove another. I had a small garden tractor when we first bought our new house, and it has fallen apart. It wasn't up to the task and basically was a piece of junk. That is part of the reason I am so leery about this next purchase. So anyway thanks a lot for the info.

Wesley /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #9  
For 4 acres, I think you are looking way too big. You might want to look at a new Kioti CK20 or a Kubota B7510. Other options would be some of the older Kubotas in the 15 to 20 hp range. I think you will find that a 20hp diesel is going to be well suited to a 4 acre property.

/ Most reliable tractors in the 30-40Hp range #10  
I would second Bob_Skurka's advice "to look at a new Kioti CK20 or a Kubota B7510" and perhaps some others.

When I started shopping, I expected to find a good used tractor to meet my needs. And, yes, there were some used tractors that looked good, but the prices were almost the same as for a new tractor. The good tractors simply do not depreciate like cars. To have seen any significant savings would have meant an old tractor lacking much or all of the safety equipment and operator amenities that can be important.

Do not rush the process. Shopping for a tractor is part of the fun.