eBay/Craigslist Selling Tractors via eBay

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #1  

jtcweb

Tractor
Ford 2N, Ford 4000 and DR Field & Brush Mower
My wifes aunt is downsizing her farming operation and is looking to sell 5 small tractors (two International Cubs, an IH 274, Farmall C & H). My question to you all, have you sold tractors on eBay and if so was it a good experence. Or what do you think of buying from eBay? She's not looking to make a killing, just get about what they are worth.

Jerry

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #2  
My answer would be if she never sold anything on ebay put an add in the paper and sell the equipment that way. High priced items are a little more complicated with percentages if paypal is used, dead beat bidders etc. I imagine a lot of good deals are made and great sales are accomplished but I would recommend a seasoned ebayer do the selling.. Just my opinion................ Good luck!

John

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #3  
Hi! I just sold my tractor on ebay. I did have a couple of problems with the buy it now option. One guy used it by mistake and another guy had stoled someones ID and purchased thousands of dollars worth of stuff including my tractor. Then I listed it without buy it now and sold it to someone locally. Anyway ebay is still the only way I would sell. I think you will get top dollar. I would recommend finding someone with alot of positive feedback to list for you especially on larger items.

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #4  
eBay has a Trading Assistant directory you can use to find someone near you that has experience selling what you want to move. For example, here is a list of Trading Assistants in the SE Michigan area who claim to have experience in Business & Industrial.

By the way, you are going to pay a commission to the TA, but the fees should be negotiable with 5 tractors to sell.

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #5  
Hello, I recently this fall sold two crawlers and a tractor on E-bay all seperate auctions. Everything went very well but I have been buying and selling for 4 years on Ebay. Large stuff you will pay a commision and a listing fee, which is maybe 2-3% of the final bid. It is not a lot of money to list IMO to A LOT of potential bidders. Be prepared for a ton of E-mails asking you 101 questions. I even had people driving 3-4 hours to run the tractor around the yard. I would recommend setting a reserve price and starting the bidding fairly low say $500, or even $100 instead of making the first bid your asking price. P.S. Watch out for the scammers!!

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #6  
I have sold about 12 to 15 tractors on Ebay. Mostly small Yanmars. I have had very good luck with it, with the exception of one dead beat that gave me a bad check. He spent a couple of nights in jail over that one though. Put plenty of pictures in the discription, give good details, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Set a reserve price and start the bidding low. A low start will get the bidders going.

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #7  
I bought a tractor on eBay a couple of years ago. Got a great deal on a great tractor. I drove over 300 miles to pick it up and the seller was a really nice guy.

I bought my 00 suburban as well on another sale -- another great deal and seller

Leo in San Diego

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #8  
The only drawback of setting a reserve is if it is not met you are still out a good chunk of change. Another option is to start the price at your absolute minimum that you would be happy with. If it doesn't sell you will be out a small insertion fee and then you could relist with a reserve. There are numerous ways and all have there good and bad.

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #9  
I have sold eqipment and a 2002 Subaru Outback via eBay and may be luky or just careful but have not had one problem. If you have questions about a buyer just ask for a bank reference, have the buyer fax an approval to talk to the banker and give the banker a call. I've never had to tdo this because I always have cash in hand before I ship.

I would definately list a tractor on eBay. No other way to get in front of 12 million plus buyers.

Andy

/ Selling Tractors via eBay #10  
i do a lot of selling and some buying on ebay, generally all with no problems, but never sold anything like that. YOU might want to list in th local papers first