Newby hunting for tractor

/ Newby hunting for tractor #1  

MattL

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 1220
Hello everybody. These forums have been great. I appreciate all the information you guys put out here.

I am looking for a small tractor to piddle around my 1 acre with. Just need to move some dirt and improve water drainage/flow on my property, as well as some road improvements and stuff.

I've been looking at a Yanmar 1601D. Seems perfect, but wanted to get your opinions on it. Looking to pay around $7400 with loader/scraper/tiller, is that about right for California?

Also, just saw a Kubota 7100 4x4 w/loader,scraper,mower for about $6500. Anyone know how that one compares to the 1601D?

Thanks!
Matt
Paso Robles, CA

/ Newby hunting for tractor #2  
HELLO and welcome to the forum /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i am assumming that theses units re used, not real familiar witht yanmar but the yanmar unit is 20 hp i think and the kubota a few hp less. the yamar is geared but don't know what exact model of the 7100 u are looking at. if it is HST and a $1000 less you might want to consider that. but really need more specic info. and i am sure the guys can help better than me.

/ Newby hunting for tractor #3  
The most important thing to consider is that the yanmar is a grey market machine, and the kubota is not. This means you need to be certain you have a dealer or mechanic who can help you with parts and service on the yanmar, which by the way is an excellent little machine.

/ Newby hunting for tractor #4  
MatL,
The 1601D is very reliable, sips fuel and the 4WD make easy work with your FEL. I have had no problem locating parts for the 1601 and 1610 Yanmars, and they are two of my favorite in the 20HP range.

I can't comment on the Kubota, as I have no experience with that model.

Good luck, Mark