John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #11  
I looked at both of them, then bought a Mahindra 3510 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They are both similar machines and the prices are similar. Both are more than enough of tractor for 6ac. Both will do the job. Are there a few things you might like that one has that the other doesnt? Probably, you will learn to use the one you get so it doesnt matter.

It comes down to a few simple things.
Is it comfortable for you?
Does the Dealer have a good rep?
Will it do what you want?

Deere has been making the 790 with different numbers and few changes since the 70's, maybe longer. I have used the 950 and the 850 which are the fore runners of the 790. They are a real good proven machine.

The Kubota is used widely (dont know about the 2800 in particular) by a lot of contractors. They are built to work.

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #12  
Not for nothin' but I thought I'd add another .02. The 790 is built in Japan by Yanmar and is a strong unit. Yanmar is well known around the world for its high quality diesel engines for many applications and the motor in the 790 is no exception. It's the smoothest sounding diesel I've ever heard, and the rest of the machine feels very well made.
Just so's ya know, I almost bought one, but 2 JD dealers fell down on the job and in shopping I found my wonderful Kubota. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800
Well I'll be signing papers on the L2800 in the morning and it will be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I'm also getting a 6' land pride finish mower. Yippee! All I need to do now is start saving up for the FEL. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #14  
When you get your bucket, be sure to get a toothbar (I have an ATI -- real nice). It would also be well worthwhile to have hooks or a piece of 1/4" - 2x2" angle with 3/8 slots welded to the top of the bucket. This is very helpful for using chain to carry stuff.
Take your time learning to use the trans. The range shifter (on your left) will pretty much snick from L to H to R once you already have it in in of those gears. Starting in N, to shift into L, H or R, hold slight pressure on the stick until it drops in or you'll grind gears. If needed, you can tease it in by slowly lifting the clutch pedal, which also applies to the gear shift.
I like to warm her up by letting her idle at lowest RPM for one minute, then raise the revs to 1200 for 4 to 5 minutes (I think this suggestion came from Bird?).
Congratulations and best of luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif