John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #1  

tim250f

Tractor
Kubota L2800
I'm looking at buying either a JD 790 or kubota L2800 to use around my 6 acre property mostly for mowing. I've been told by my local JD dealer that the 790 has 30hp (25 pto). According to JD's web site those numbers are incorrect. I was also told that the 790 has a live pto vs the kubota's which shuts down when you press in the clutch. This also dosen't match up to JD's web site making the two models very closely matched. As far as price, I can get the L2800 for $8995 or the 790 for $9800. Can someone help clear up the difference in specs for the JD and recommend one over the other?

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #2  
Hi Tim,

The 790 is actually 27hp gross as far as the specs. I would like to throw another option to you if you are interested and that is the LG Montana LG2740.

It is 27hp gross, has hydrostatic steering and is awesome. It has a syncho shuttle and synchro trans with 8F/8R. I am a dealer and not knowing where you are from am not trying to sell you one but just suggesting a great option.

I have many customers of these and they love them.

Here is a link to the new LG Montana website. The site was just launched so not complete but it will give you some good info on specs. I hope I am not stepping out of line but this tractor is just a great option with a 3 year warranty.

I also linked to some pictures posted on Yahoo as well as LG agricultural. If you want any info please send me a PM.

Good Luck!

LG Montana Tractors

LG Agricultural Equipment

Some photos of various Montana's

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #3  
Are you considering this tractor for field mowing or finish grass mowing? Reason I ask is that it is a considerable pain mowing around objects with a rear mower, whereas a mid mower is much more convenient, although expensive. anyhow, back to your original question you are correct about the tranny PTO on the kubota; another alternative would be a New Holland TC30 which is their economy tractor alternative. BTW the Deere 790 is an excellent tractor, very durable and a proven design.

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #4  
If your mostly going to be mowing especially with a rear mower I sure would get a live or independent PTO. I did look at the Kubota web site and it looks like it is a transmission driven with a overrunning clutch.

I did go to John Deere's web site and looked to see if they did a comparison on the two models and they don't. However, I di notice they compared the 790 with the New Holland TC29D and TC30. I don't think the 790 compares with the New Holland's 29 and 30. To start out the New Hollands both are class ll and the John Deere 790 is class l. I never did trust manufactures comparison charts as they can twist them sometimes to make their product look better.

If I was you I would go out and look at more products. You can even look at different models within the John Deere and Kubota lines. As on other poster said to look at some other brands. Get a feel for them and which one you like the best. Get yourself very knowledgeable of the different ones out there and even what is available for you. Go with a dealer you trust and know will give you the best service after the sale. Ask lots of questions here on TBN. You'll get all kinds of advice here.

murph

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800
Yes it will mainly be used for finish mowing. I have also looked at the TC30 which I can get for the same price as the Deere. The TC30 uses the same PTO design as the Kubota so I don't see an advatage with it that would justify the $900 in cost increase over the Kubota. What about the PTO on the John Deere, is it the same design as the Kubota or is it continuous. By the way I am looking at 2wd models at this time.

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #6  
The New Holland TC30 is the same as the Kubota unless you go for Hydro. Then it is live. With mowing I would not want a transmission driven one. Evertime you stop, so does the mower and vice versa. When you have a Bush hog in the back they take a bit to get up and going. I notice you are looking at 2 wd models. If this is a short term tractor, for resale I would look at 4wd. The 2 wd sub-compacts will not hold their value very well in my opinion.

murph

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #7  
I met a guy today that mows 25 acres with a 790 and a "Bush Hog" 6' finish mower. I think it was a rear discharge cutter (a RD?? I can't remember the model off-hand but I can get you the exact model number if you wish). He cuts the grass from 3-4" in height. That's a lot of mowing. The acreage looks awesome though. He uses turf tires also.

Most Deere Service Techs will tell you that the 790 and 990 are rarely in for any type of problems. They are pretty much as bullet proof as a tractor can be.

Good luck on whatever you decide but buying a Deere would NOT be making a mistake.

Good Luck,

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #8  
The 790 uses a dual stage clutch (½ down stops the motion of the tractor, all the way depressed stops both tractor motion and the PTO).
However, that's an option with the 2WD 790 (which is what you've priced, I believe). Otherwise, you gat a standard "non-live" PTO.

I've read about the Kubota 2800. Powerwise, it should be pretty close to the 790. I was of the impression one could get a dual stage clutch on these machines too, but I could be mistaken.

As far as using a single stage clutch...well, it does stop the PTO when depressed. That's a pretty easy thing to adapt to though. I had a single stage clutch on my 670. Although I do prefer the dual stage (until it comes time to replace it!), using a single stage wasn't bad. You might want to plan your mowing pattern to reduce stopping or having to clutch. It may require backing up now and then to hit the spots you missed when clutching. This is for finish mowing.
For brush cutting, the inertia of the blades kept them moving pretty quickly during any gear shifting. Heck, it takes a good 60 to 90 seconds for those blades to stop rotating. If you can't shift in that time...maybe you should think about a hydro tranny!

Might want to price what the optional dual stage clutch will add to the 790's base price. If it's more then a grand, you might want to go a bit further and go for the MFWD 790 (dual stage clutch is standard on that machine).
You might want to find out if the dual stage clutch is availible on the Kubota too.

Either machine will do a fine job on your 6 acres.

With, or without "Live" PTO, a little thought and adaptation to the machine's capabilities, you'll do a fine job mowing.

By the way, the new 790's are 27 gross HP and 24 at the PTO. Plenty of power to run a 72" finishing mower or a 60" rotary cutter. If your brush cutting is light, I'd even prioce a 72" cutter instead of a 60" unit.

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #9  
Did you look at the Kubota L3400? Same tractor as the L2800, but with a live PTO (2-stage clutch) and a little more motor. I read in a post here that both the L2800 and L3400 will be available in hydro in 2005.
For me, the ergonomics of the 790 just didn't work. Getting on and off was a pain, there was not enough room for my feet, and reaching the gear shift meant bending over some. The Kubota felt more user friendly than either the 790 or the TC30.
If your acreage is fairly open, you might do just fine with the L2800. Alot of tight spots, trees or other obstacles might make you nuts. Feel free to PM me if you have any other ??? on the L2800.
Charley /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 #10  
<font color="blue"> For me, the ergonomics of the 790 just didn't work. Getting on and off was a pain, there was not enough room for my feet, and reaching the gear shift meant bending over some. </font>

That is my experience as well. I use my neighbors 790 on occasion. It is a durable tractor, but small if your not also small. If you use a loader, the L2800 would be a better choice I think. For mowing, the 790 would be fine.