purchase of new tractor

/ purchase of new tractor #1  

bluecarpenter

Silver Member
Tractor
CK30 HST and allis chalmers b with belly sickle at dads farm. Yanmar 2210DB , ford 8N .farmall cub
I know this an age old question. Which brand of tractor do I buy? I'm looking for about a 35 to 40 hp compact. I want to run a loader and small backhoe. I'm tired of digging by hand in this missouri clay. How deep do I need the backhoe to dig? I don't know. 6.5 ft would probably be enough. I also want to be able to farm out my services with the tractor and backhoe. So I need something that will stand up over time. I want to be able to run a brush hog, finish mower, sickle bar and small rake for cutting loose hay for my bunnys and goats. Also a tiller for my garden. Dad says that I don't want a tiller cause there is more moving parts for maintenance. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't have a lot of time to be spent changing from a plow to a disc. I want to get it done.
I have tested the mahindra 4110 and really liked it. Drove a case DX 35 but to much plastic for my liking. I have been looking at the massey ferguson 1440 and 1540. haven't drove either yet but I like the way that if fits when I sit in it. the controls are easy to get to. The mahindra controls were a bit to close to my hips, but ok. The one MF dealer also had a 1235 with loader with 30 hrs that they were seller for a former customer. That one looks nice to. I have pretty much looked at most of the brands out there. I don't care for the ones that have a lot of plastic on them. I'm very concerned about availablity of parts several years down the road as I plan on keeping this for a long time. 30 plus years. that is why I lean towards a new one. I have used a JD 4020 but that is Way to big. An 8n is ok but no live power and way to darn old but a good tractor. For doing the loader work I think that I might should get one with shuttle shift. I'm not sold on hydro though. I like gears, but want something easy for going forwards and backwards with a loader. How much can these dig in and move dirt with a tooth bar? Also in my business I'm alway getting calls to come dig this or that like sewer lines or septic ect. Just figured I needed to expand my horizons a little. I just get a little overwhelmed sometimes so decided to ask some questions of you guys and gals out there that have a bit more experience that I. Thanks mark

/ purchase of new tractor #2  
Bluecarpenter, With the requirements you mentioned the first tractor I thought of was the Kubota L35.

/ purchase of new tractor #3  
Have you looked or thought about Kioti ? I have a DK45 TLB that is incredible . I owned Kubota before this and thought I would go that way again . They are a great machine ,but the price was quite a shock . I have the Kioti #2385 backhoe and it will dig down to 8.5 feet . It is very fast and I have been very happy with the machine overall . The loader bucket could use more rollback ,but it has not been a major issue for me . I would buy another one in a heartbeat .I was very impressed with how solid this machine is built and how user friendly it is .
A good friend owns a construction rental company and really went over my tractor with a fine tooth comb looking for anything that would create problems in the future .He has twelve Kubota's in his rental fleet . His statement to me was " It is the best built tractor he has seen for the price" .
The money I saved over a Kubota ,which is a great machine, bought me some nice attachments to go along with my DK45 Kioti . Good luck on your final decision . There are many good brands out there .
Big AL

/ purchase of new tractor
Yes I have thought about the kioti. I've driven the DK35 about 3 years ago just to say I did, but don't remember much about it. I have talked to a couple of dealers 1 in lincoln ne and other in omaha ne. neather one acted like they knew anything. struck me a rather stupid. I think there is a dealer in Bluesprings Mo. but I've yet to talk to them. The 2 dealers kind of turned me off but I will reinvestiged that line. Thanks. Also does anybody know anything about the farmtrac 360DTC? Looks like a solid built tractor. mark

/ purchase of new tractor #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I want to run a loader and small backhoe. I'm tired of digging by hand in this missouri clay. How deep do I need the backhoe to dig? I don't know. 6.5 ft would probably be enough. I also want to be able to farm out my services with the tractor and backhoe. Also in my business I'm alway getting calls to come dig this or that like sewer lines or septic ect. )</font>

For what you discribe I'd recommend at least an 7 1/2' or 8 1/2' backhoe for the extra reach,a 6 1/2' would be small on a 35/40 HP tractor, but thats just my opinion.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also a tiller for my garden. Dad says I don't want a tiller cause there is more moving parts for maintenance.)</font>
I've used my tiller a lot over the last 5 years with minimal maintainance (grease, check the oil). And with the digging you plan on doing a tiller works great at helping fix things up after you backfill

/ purchase of new tractor #6  
Mark,
You might look around and see if you can find a lightly used John Deere 4410 or 4510 for a good price. The new models are out so you might find one of the older ones. The 4410 is on the mid size frame and the 4510 is on the larger one so factor that in if size is important.

When I was shopping I went in looking at the Kubota and NH but after shopping at the dealers I was not impressed with the dealers service. I started liking the Kioti but obviously ended up with the JD based on the level of service from the dealer.

I have been very pleased with the 4510. I has been bullet proof so far and does every thing I want it to do.

Best of luck,
Mark

/ purchase of new tractor #7  
Go with your instincts and buy the 4110, just make sure the dealer is a good guy. I have a 4110 and do not regret buying this Mahindra, it does all I asked it to do and the dealer has always been willing to help whether he makes money or not.
Good Luck

Ron

/ purchase of new tractor #8  
The Mahindra 4110, with either the 3375(7.5') or 509(9'8") hoe makes a nice combo. We have sold quite a few that have been out there in comercial applications, landscapers, grave diggers, contractors, etc. all holding up excellent. If your dealer is good i wouldn't hesitate in the least with the Mahindra. Good luck with what ever tractor you purchase but remember the dealer/service should play a big factor in your purchase not just the price.

/ purchase of new tractor #9  
I have a John Deere 4110 and can not believe what 20 horse power can do. I noticed you are not sold on the hydro – I would never get anything else after going through a winter with the blade and moving 10 large dump truck loads of broken concrete slabs with the loader. I have found the hydro to handle everything the engine could deliver so I suggest you strongly consider it – unless you really like to shift, steer and use SCVs at the same time moving a load.

/ purchase of new tractor
Thanks for the replies. It will help. I plan on taking another look at the mahindra next week. I like that dealer cause he would deliever and would sit down and show me everything I need to now about how to run it. I could even call him up any time to ask any questions that I had even if we had already gone over it. I also will be taking another look at the farmtrac 360 DTC and massey 1440/1540 series again. Maybe even the Kioti DK40. even driving them around and seeing how they operate.
My wife pretty much told me that I was going to get something in the 35 to 40 horse range So that I wouldn't wish later that I had gotten a little bigger hp tractor. On the backhoe digging depth I was told I could get a good deal on a 6.5 ft digging depth. but I would probably regret not getting a little bit bigger one though.
At this point I think a rough guess to be about 25% mowing,brush hogging, cutting loose hay. 50% backhoe and FEL work. 10% using FEL for lifting objects to heavy to lift by my self. I seem to hurt my back lifting to heavy of objects /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif 5% roadgrading. The other 10% who knows. blading snow when we get it in the winter. It can drift the road closed sometimes. 3 to 6 ft drifts. lots of fun. Our farm is mostly hilly. about a 1/4 of it is in trees. Digging down very far you run into clay. not to bad digging if it is not a drought year. Least these are some of the projects for a year or 2 . A guy always has something he wants to do on a farm. My wife and I came up with about 15 things we want to do with a small backhoe and FEL for us, my parents and sister, not including a little bit for paying customers. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks for the help. I would like any more help that any one could give me. I will probably have more questions in the future. mark