JD 4110 or Kubota B7510?

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #1  

rustydog

Tractor
kubota 7610
Hi All,
We have appreciated the help along the way and now look to purchase one of the above units w/HSD. Our homesite is 2 1/2 acres of gently rolling/oak land in SoCal. I like both tractors; have concerns about ground clearance of the JD due to hydraulics being on underside -- dealer very helpful but 50 miles away. The Kubota seems like a great tractor overall; dealer is closer at 15 miles but has been somewhat difficult to deal with (ie. does not want to work w/pricing). Both are around $13.5. We have checked on internet and could save $1000 but are concerned local dealer may disregard us later for servicing.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Rustydog

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #2  
Not much fun if down the road you have a tractor with a problem, and no dealer to talk to that wants to talk to you. IMO, important to have a good relationship with a dealer. If the Kubota dealer is your first-time dealings, then getting to know him better seems important. Likewise, with the Deere dealer. A few dollars now may make big-time comfort down the road.

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #3  
I think 13,500 is too high for either tractor without any attachments. I would price them out with everything you intend to get.

The 4110 with a FEL should be around 15,000 + or -, though Ca may be a little more.

In general, the JD4110 will have more nifty stuff (Postion control, stuff like that), but I would expect the Kubota to be less money.

50 miles isn't that far for a dealer you like. Just be sure to ask for free transportation for any warrenty work to be thrown into the deal and the 50 miles gets even closer. With either machine, it's unlikely you will spend much time at the dealers.

As we say to all the people wanting spec comparisons, go sit on them and drive them around. Seems likely that one will jump out as somehow better for you. Both will be good values.

Cliff

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #4  
Thow another brand in your decisions. Not to buy but for comparisons and a barganing tool. And you never know, you might like it. 50 miles is a ways away, but I would rather have that than a close one that won't service your tractor. Just make sure upfront you make agreements on how pick up and delivery is going to be handled. As far as pricing, both tractors seem high in price but California may be just that expensive.

murph

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #5  
When I priced John Deeres the 4110 was $2000 more than the 7510.

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #6  
I drove a BX1830 and B7510 and priced the B7510 after having driven a JD 2210 and JD 4010. The price on the B7510 with 4' cutter, loader and toothbar was identical to the $13,600 price quoted for the JD 4010. Another JD dealer quoted the same price within $100. He said the 4110 was $2,000 more.

I didn't like the pedal placement on the B7510: tiny reverse pedal back near the seat. Dual brakes were on the right above the forward hydro pedal. It did have cruise control, like the 4010. Didn't like the folding ROPS on the B7510 either. The JD models would fit underneath both my carriage house doors: upper floor and basement, with fixed ROPS.

I went with the JD 4010. Have had it about 2 weeks or so.

Ralph

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #7  
Rustydog,

There are a number of real differences between the 4110 and the 7510 you should have a look at. Depending on the implements and uses you have for the tractor those differences could make the decision for you.

The 4110 with a MMM has very little ground clearance. Travelling over rough terrain with it is a royal pain.

The MMM of the 4110 is full floating, that is its gauge wheels do not contact the ground in level cutting. The 7510's deck wheel support the weight of the deck and are always on the ground when cutting.

As Ralph pointed out there are some user interface differences between the two also. I never could figure out how I would use the turning brakes on the 7510 while pushing the forward hydro pedal down with the same foot.

If you are planning on a FEL check out what it takes to install and remove the loader on each tractor.

The 4110 has a clunky way of holding up the MMM when using the 3pt hitch. Compare it to the 7510.

Getting problems resolved on my 4110 were very difficult. Both my dealer and John Deere were arrogant, incompetent and uncooperative. YMMV

Both are good tractors and will probably out last us. In the final analysis the dealer will make the difference between a good or bad experience with them.

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #8  
This past spring I compared the 4110 to the B7610.

I recall that the 4110 was significantly more expensive ($1500 is my recollection) and the JD dealers were all very arrogant.

The Kubota dealer gave me $500 more for my JD 445 trade-in than any of the JD dealers offered, so it was a 2K difference.

At the time, I preferred the B7610's deck to the JD's. I was concerned that the JD's floating deck would easily get knocked out of alignment while the Kubota's ground contact deck would not have this problem. As I frequently leave my grass grow too high, the 7610's gage wheels tend to compress the grass and sometimes gives me a but of an uneven cut. Not a problem if I were to mow more frequently.

I was concerned about the reverse foot pedal, but have found it to be quite natural. I think it is all what you get used to.

I have no need to use the brake to steer, so the odd placement of the brake pedal is not a problem for me.

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . . . and the JD dealers were all very arrogant. )</font>

I must say, this business of the JD salesmen being arrogant confuses me. I found every salesmen I went to (except one NH dealer that didn't carry CUTs at all) to be friendly and helpful. The JD and Kubota dealers were especially willing to have me drive around, play with implements and ask a lot of questions. In both cases they were willing to look up or ask others at the dealership to find out details they didn't keep in their head for the models I was looking at (KUB7610 and the JD4110). I had the advantage of two Kubota and two JD dealers in my area. In both cases, one of the two dealership felt more right for me, but arrogance of the salesmen wasn't the issue, rather it was the size of their parts department, the look of their service area etc.

What I'm getting at is that someones experience at a particular brand dealership isn't especially relevant if it's not the dealership in question. There are good salesmen and bad ones at all the dealerships, and it's often luck of the draw. It certainly enters into the decision -- first impressions and all -- but I'm not sure how my experience in IL would apply to someone purchasing a machine in Fl or Ca. It's your own dealer that matters.

That said, looking at the stats and the prices and reading TBN a lot reduced the range of machines I was looking at -- really determining the size and options, but all the discussion of other dealerships attitudes meant nothing once I went and used the machines and visited MY local dealerships.

For me, the 4110 felt completely natural, I have no better way of saying it. It cost more, but that's only part of the equasion. For many others on the board, sitting on a Kubota feels right. It's a personal thing.

Once you've determined what size and options you want/need, you've got visit YOUR dealerships and sit on the tractors. There's just no substitute.

Cliff

/ JD 4110 or Kubota B7510? #10  
Rusty, like thcri said look at some of the other brands such as Kioti, NH, Massey-Ferguson, etc.