Comparison Deere versus Kubota, upper level support?

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #1  

sanmigmike

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST
Not sure what thread it was here but....one thread around here had some Kubota owners upset about support, not so much from their dealers but upper level support from the distributor or the "factory".

I have been talking to three Kubota dealers and like all of them and like the L3130 and L3830. But now reading about some of those problems has me a bit concerned. I will admit that next to no one has had any serious problems with the L3X30 series that I have seen here. That is not quite so true with the Deere 4310 and 4410. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have been talking to three Deere dealers, two I like but one of the two is more into lawn and garden stuff rather than more ag applications, as in we had to remind him about weights on the rear or loading the tires... The third was kind of the "there is the literature rack and the tractors are outside...".

So, the point is that I have several dealers I trust but now I hear concerns about upper level support.

Let me hear from you guys that bleed Green and you guys that bleed Orange and you guys that weep Green or Orange. If you have upper level type problems or upper level support that you really loved...tell us about it!!

Hey Henro, I want to hear from you too!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #2  
first of all, the majority of your support comes from your local dealer so that is by far the most important. If you have a serious problem with a machine as I once did, you want the dealer in your corner going to the manufacturer. I had a problem with a New Holland and the dealer took the problem to New Holland and arranged a meeting with the regional guy and basically told New Holland what to do. Everything happened as promised. If you have a good dealer, it will be extremely rare that you need to contact the factory. As I read stories on this board, one thing that becomes clear is bypass the dealer and you'll will have a hard time getting whats due you. I also think a fair amount of people on this board have unrealistic expectations as to what constitutes a "real" problem.
Just my thoughts based on over 40 years of tractor ownership.

Andy

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #3  
I sort of feel like a guilty party here. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm currently less than pleased with Kubota's corporate customer support after spending over 45 large with them this year. I did just get a call from my Kubota dealer who has now promised to get Kubota corporate involved to whatever measure is required. I'll admit that I currently feel left out in the cold by Kubota corporate, and basically ignored.

I've purchased over a dozen brand new JD tractors over the years. They are of good quality, but I cannot say that they all were perfect. On a particular issue with my last JD tractor I owned I had to get JD corporate involved and they too moved like molasses on a cold day. I eventually got the matter resolved, but that is what prompted me to look at other manufacturers.

The bottom line for me was that I wanted a hydro tractor around 50 hp that had a factory cab with A/C, R4 tires, and a FEL. I'm rather conservative, so I ruled out many of the "new" companies because I didn't want to experiment with a new company to see if they were good or not. I would say that it is a safe bet to say that some will most certainly prove to be very good and have excellent customer support. I also think it is safe to say that some will, for lack of better terminology, crash and burn, leaving their customers sort of orphaned.

My needs sounded fairly simple, but it basically looked like moving up to a much larger frame JD, a much larger frame NH, or Kubota. I do not think it is an arguable point that Kubota builds quality equipment. So, since they had a nice factory cab in the size and hp range I needed, I went with them. My problem is not major, but I'm getting the same slooowww response I got from JD when I needed them. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I wish I had a crystal ball that would tell me if Kioti or Mahindra or one of the Chinese tractor companies is going to develop into a true competitor for the big three, or if they will flop. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I personally would rather pay the money up front for quality and top of the line customer support and not have to worry about doing my own research and wrenching. I haven't the time or interest for that anymore.

I guess I can update you in about a week as to how Kubota turned out. This is a first, but they today offered to come pick up both my RTV900 and L5030HSTC, fix them, and deliver them back to me. In the interim, they offered me a loaner tractor to use while mine is being fixed. I'll admit, that sounds good. I just wish I would have heard that months ago. Maybe it is partly my fault because only this last week have I explained to them, in no uncertain terms, that I am at the end of my rope with them ignoring me. If you want, I'll update you on how it works out for me.

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #4  
I think what Andy has said is pretty true. If you have a good dealer you shouldn't need upper level support. Now a good dealer can turn sour also and then upper level support would be nice to have as a backup.

Upper level support in all companies or manufactures is hurting compared to what it was ten years ago. When cuts are made this is a good and easy area to cut in. Some may have complained about Kubota's upper level but I don't think it is as bad as said. Kubota sells more than any other so they will have more customer complaints to take care of. I would be willing to bet that John Deere, New Holland and all the others on a percentage basis have just as many upper level complaints.

Just my opinion.

murph

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #5  
The problem I had with my JD was referred to JD by the dealer when they could not figure it out. JD was less than helpful and the area rep was arrogant and incompetent.

After several months I discovered the dealer had never even tested the tractor for the problem. They did not even have a hydraulic pressure gauge to fit the tractor and lied about testing the hydraulic system.

A good dealer is your best bet when you have a problem. If they do not respond quickly go up the chain in the dealership and make a LOT of noise.

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I also think a fair amount of people on this board have unrealistic expectations as to what constitutes a "real" problem. )</font>

I could not have said it any better!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well said Andy.

RedDog

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #7  
RedDog, I suppose that I simply have a completely different prospective on a tractor than you. From your comments, you obviously are able to accept things on your tractor that do not perform as advertised. I most certainly will not. If the tractor does not perform as advertised, for me it is a problem. Plain and simple. No variations or exceptions. I expect to get what I pay for, or I complain very loudly and do not spend my money on that item again. I suppose if I spent several thousand dollars less for an "economy" brand, it might be different. I won't buy the economy, price leader brands. I fully expect what I pay for, or my money goes elsewhere.

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( RedDog, I suppose that I simply have a completely different prospective on a tractor than you. From your comments, you obviously are able to accept things on your tractor that do not perform as advertised. I most certainly will not. )</font>
The only "comment" RedDog made was to quote AndyM and agree that " I also think a fair amount of people on this board have unrealistic expectations as to what constitutes a "real" problem." I'm a little confused how that turned into your response unless you felt that both AndyM and RedDog were singling you out. I'm sure that's not the case. John

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #9  
I don't understand Dargo's response to Reddog either.
I didn't see any names or brands mentioned in Reddog's or AndyMA's posts.
Could be a Hydro vs. Gear thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Don

/ Deere versus Kubota, upper level support? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( RedDog, I suppose that I simply have a completely different prospective on a tractor than you. From your comments, you obviously are able to accept things on your tractor that do not perform as advertised. I most certainly will not. If the tractor does not perform as advertised, for me it is a problem. Plain and simple. No variations or exceptions. I expect to get what I pay for, or I complain very loudly and do not spend my money on that item again. I suppose if I spent several thousand dollars less for an "economy" brand, it might be different. I won't buy the economy, price leader brands. I fully expect what I pay for, or my money goes elsewhere. )</font>

Holy smoke what prompted that response /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RedDog