Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it?

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #1  

RAMARSDEN

Tractor
Soon to buy
This is my second post. I'm looking for a deal on a tractor to use on my new 22 acre property, ad well as through new home construction (owner/builder). The property has about 1200 feet of dirt road @ 8-15% uphill, and combined meadow, oak, madrone and redwood forest. I've decided to get a 30 hp unit with a strong FEL, a hydraulic box scraper, and other implements as needed, like chipper and post hole digger. Not planning on a backhoe.

Here's the dilemma. I can't pay retail. I inherited this trait from my Dad, and sometimes it works great, but sometimes it's a big hassle. Anyway, there's a nice older Kubota L2202, apparently in great shape, 28 hp, four wheel locking 4WD, Hydrostatic, good ag tires, funky style but clean and well cared for. Not too far from where I live. The current price after 40 bids, and 1.5 days left, is $3750. Obviously it will go higher, but here's my question: if i could buy this tractor for $5,000 +/-, and added a FEL and hydraulic box scraper, new R4 tires, and ended up at $13,000, would that be a good deal? I think it would, but I'm not sure what might blindside me. I'm using my Kubota dealer's retail prices for Kubota accessories, and I probably could get lower prices on aftermarket stuff.

Is this a dumb idea??? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 541329-Picture 2.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 709
   / Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #2  
Randy, did you know that the L2202 is a gray market tractor? If you are not aware of the differences, you might go to kubota.com and learn more about them. Otherwise, I don't have an answer for your questions except to say that, personally, I'd never put $13,000 in that one.

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it?
Bird:
Thanks for the quick comeback. No, didn't know it's grey market, and I have learned enough to know that's not what I want. I'll steer clear.

Is this instant gratification, or what???

Randy

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #4  
I was wondering if that was a grey market. The picture was not very clear but didn't look like a normal butoa.

I agree with Bird, stay away.

murph

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #5  
Murph, when in doubt, I guess you know you can go to Kubota.com and read not only the company's policy about lack of support, but also a list of gray market models.

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #6  
The 2202 is a grey market, is not a hydro (as far as I have ever seen) and is 25 or 26 HP, and is probably a 1500-1800 lb tractor. The front axle is set way back for short turning radius, but it makes it a little tougher to put a loader on. It's a fine tractor, but I don't think it is what you are looking for. It also won't have a ROPS available.

I'll private message you some information regarding year end bargains on new tractors.

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #7  
Gray market tractors don't come with roll over protection. Kubota dealers don't like to work on them. you would have to custom make a rop's or modify one. I have seen gray market tractors sell at auction for 2,000 to 8,000 some come with loader most didn't. Good luck David

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #8  
Ram, my property is similar to yours, and I started out the same way looking for a tractor. At first, I also thought that a used Class II (e.g., 30 HP) machine was right for me. I ended up buying new, and upgraded to a Class III. Unless you happen to stumble across exactly the right used machine at an acceptable price (something I was unable to do after lots of effort), buying new (or slightly used, like a harvest rental return) may be a better long term strategy.

If you get a good deal on a new machine, good financing perhaps, and take good care of it, your ultimate cost-of-use (purchase price less resale value plus operational expenses) may be a lot lower than buying a used machine with an uncertain past, adding an FEL, finding the right accessories, etc.

The wider stance of a Class III, superior loader strength, and capability of handling 6' and 7' wide implements with ease convinced me to go with a larger/higher HP unit. With redwood trees (as well as Doug Fir and Madrone) to dispose of once in awhile, the ability to skid a larger log was a consideration as well.

That said, I am sure that a Class II would accomplish a large share of what I use my Class III for. For me, however, the convenience of having the extra capability when I need it outweighed the marginal additional cost of the larger unit. To each his own, as they say.

/ Older Used Kubota...Is this worth it? #9  
your budget of 13 grand is not too bad, especially if you broaden your search to a few other brands and a few miles. look at ironsearch dot com, machinefinder dot com, and of course equipment trader online. you may have to drive a bit etc but there are used machines out there; most people are unwilling to be patient and search. machinerylink dot com has an online price estimator, which is a good baseline tool, but also gives weight, hp and such for something you are looking at. will also weed out the grey market machines, which wont be there at all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif