WWTBND? Today is decision day!

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day! #1  

Blee

Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have narrowed my search down to two machines. This has been a long process and your advice has been indespensible. I ask for your help once again.

JD 4310.......................................Kubota 7800
420 loader...................................LA402 loader
60" MMM......................................60" MMM
5' LX-5 cutter (used).....................5' BH Squealer w/SC
$20,760.00..................................$18,128

Each dealer is acceptable. I have a slight preference to the Kubota dealer. The JD salesguy is checking on the possibility of coming down "some more." My ambivalence lies in that the 4310 is superior in some ways, and much more "wife friendly" to operate. It weighs a lot. The loader separator is unbelievably easy. The Kubota is lighter (a plus). Each machine can handle the jobs I need it to do. I can afford either, but prefer to keep my money in my pocket as much as possible -- silly me!

WWTNBD? What Would a TBNer Do? Today's the day.

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day! #2  
I was looking at the next frame size smaller and half the weight but compared JD4010 with Kubota B7510. These were exactly the same price. The JD4110 to match the B7510 hp for hp was $2,000 more. Kinda checks your prices. Better value for hp would have been the JD2210, only $300 more.

I didn't like the pedal placement on the Kubota B or BX models. Also preferred to have the joy stick on the tractor rather than on the loader, as is Kubota's choice. Seems a little more close in and convenient (too convenient: still sometimes mistake the joy stick for forward or reverse).

Make sure they set up your LX5 right. They had my LX4 pins, rear bracket placement wrong. Think LX5 is the same. For high pin location, rear bracket should be in the FRONT holes. For low pin location, rear bracket should be in the REAR holes. If these are reversed, the top link can be longer than draft arms, which will result in the draft arms rotating the end of the top link backwards instead of up.

Ralph

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day!
Thanks, I appreciate the local input! My comparison shows the JD @ 32/27 and the Kubota @ 30/22! 5 more PTO HP!?

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day! #4  
I think your tractors are somewhat of a feature mismatch, I believe the JD 4310 seems to have more of the features that are found on the Kubota B2910. The B7800 and B2910 are similar in many ways, but the 2910 has more features and some slightly different mechanicals. All that said, if the JD dealer comes down any at all, I would opt for the JD as it is more wife friendly, and that increases the WAF (wife acceptance factor) and that makes your life easier. The other option would be to get a bid on the B2910 from the Kubota dealer (or better yet its replacement the B3030). But between the two tractors you have in that line up, I'd prefer the JD, especially if the price spread were dropped down to $2K.

I agree. My Kubota dealer spent a couple of days looking for a 2910 without any luck. That is why I compared JD-apples to Kubota-orange!

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day! #6  
Can he get you a quote on the new B3030? My dealer told me he should be getting his first 3030's in January.

I was told I would not get a 3030 by May

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day! #8  
Bob

When I purchased my tractor I told my wife that I bought for her thinking that it would improve the "WAF". I don't think it worked.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day! #9  
Pete,
When I bought my first Cub Cadet I told the lovely Mrs_Bob that the colors of the tractor coordinated nicely with her summer outfits! I think she got some jewelry shortly after that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blee,
I spoke with my dealer last week because I just bought a new Cub GT for my sales manager as a retirement present (who needs a stinking gold watch when you can get a tractor instead!). Unless I completely misunderstood what he told me he is expecting a 3030 in January.

/ WWTBND? Today is decision day! #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My ambivalence lies in that the 4310 is superior in some ways, and much more "wife friendly" to operate. )</font>

Having been in sales for many years I would say that you really like the JD better but are not convinced that it is worth $2,600 more than the Kubota.

Tell the salesman that and ask him WHY his tractor is worth $2,600 more than the Kubota. Maybe he can point out some things that make it worth the difference.

You might also ask the Kubota dealer what you could get if you were willing to pay him $2,600 more than the tractor he has quoted you. You may find out that you can step up to the next model for the difference and you might find you like that model better than the JD.

The real problem is that neither salesman has really done his job correctly. Neither has convinced you that his tractor is the right tractor and worth (to you) the price he is asking.

Is the extra weight going to be a problem with the JD? If it leaves ruts every where you go you will not be happy.

Is your wife REALLY going to be driving it? How often? If you are talking about once a month for an hour it is not a big deal, if it is 25% of the time then being "wife friendly" is a big factor.

How important is the extra PTO horsepower? Is your work hard enough that you really need the extra HP or is it (like me) an "ego thing" (my tractor is bigger than your tractor)? Watch this one, as a male I always want the biggest whatever out there.

How often will you really be taking the loader off? Once a week, once a month, or once a year?

In EXACTLY what ways is the JD superior to the Kubota? And how important are the differences in the "real world"?

Think of some more questions to ask yourself about the differences. Bounce them off your wife. Think out loud with her, she can give you some honest feedback that will help you.

Be very realistic in your answers to yourself and you will find the right answer for you. My choice might not be the best choice for you and your situation.

Bill Tolle