John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA?

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA? #1  

tillboy2001

Gold Member
We're going to buy a tractor in a few months. The New Holland TC40DA is definitely in the budget, but I really like the John Deere 4120 (eHydro). The John Deere advantage is that it has a 43HP turbo diesel made by John Deere and the New Holland has the Yanmar 40HP (non-turbo). John Deere has some other things I like too...but it's not make or break on the deal in my mind right now (the small differences). The two machines seem to be pretty well matched. The price on the NH is coming out to be about $2,000 less than the JD. If the budget would allow, I'd just go with the JD, but I don't know if the budget will be that flexible.

So my question to you all is, why should I go with the less expensive New Holland? Anything I'd really miss if I didn't go with the John Deere, other than the pretty green paint? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really do like the 4120 though...a lot.

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA? #2  
Actually, the New Holland TC40D has its powertrain made by Shibaura, while the Deere's is made by Yanmar.
Both are nice units. I had similar choices plus those made by Kubota, Massey, etc. I ended up with the TC40D mostly because of the price and the dealer. If you like the Deere and keep it for 20 years, it is only a difference of $100 per year.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA? #3  
I guess I was on the understanding that Yanmar made the John Deere. The John Deere unit was not made in the US. The New Holland has a Shibura motor and most parts imported but was assembled in the United States. Again I am not sure of the John Deere except but am pretty sure about the Yanmar motor.

I also could care less about the color of the tractor your buying. Between them two tractors I would be more concerned about the dealer your buying from. I would buy from the dealer you think is going to give you the best service after the sale is complete.

Based you your post it seems to me like you got yourself sold on the John Deere and are asking for back up. $2000.00 dollars can buy a lot of attachments. But $2000.00 dollars over a twenty year period is peanuts.

Again go with the dealer and then look at the one that fits your butt best. I personnally ended up with New Holland don't regret it at all, in fact am very happy I did.

murph

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA? #4  
"The John Deere unit was not made in the US. The New Holland has a Shibura motor and most parts imported but was assembled in the United States. Again I am not sure of the John Deere except but am pretty sure about the Yanmar motor."

The Deere uses a Deere manufactured engine (the John Deere 4024T to be exact) per their website. This doesn't mean the engine was actually built in the USA, but is of Deere manufacture. As far as the rest of the tractor, Deere doesn't specify a country of origin, so that indicates manufacture at a Deere owned plant (but that could be Mexico or another country). Personally, I'd wager they're assembled in the United States.
The 4x10 series machines did use Yanmar engines...some of them did, anyway. The only tractors brought in as assembled are are the 790 and 990. There were other Yanmar built Deeres, but not of current production.

Since Deere and Yanmar are dissolving their 30 year partnership, I expect the x90 series machines to be discontinued fairly soon. That's just an opinion...my opinion.

Shibura has been providing engines and other components to New Holland for quite a while.

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA? #5  
Things changed with the introduction of the 4000 series in 1999, manufactured at John Deere's 200-acre Augusta, Georgia spread. The 500,000-square foot factory in Augusta was built in 1991, but another 206,000-square foot factory was added in 2001 to accommodate the growth of the compact tractor market. In 2003, John Deere produced its 400,000th compact utility tractor---a 2210.

This is quoted from the tractorbynet.com front page article on the twenty series.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/articles/4000twenty.htm

4024t john deere engines in all the 4000 twenty series.

tom

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA?
Man that New Holland TC35DA w/hydro and R4 tires is really looking good right now. I can get one for just under $21,000 with the loader and a finish mower. Same frame as the TC40, but with just 5 HP less. This might be the way to go since the loader capacity is the same between the 40 and 35.

I'd really love to have a JD4120...but don't think we can haggle enough to get the price we need.

Hmmm

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA? #7  
If you like the Deere, why not get a bid from JD Equipment? Folks a whole lot farther away than you have been really impressed by them with their price and service.

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the loader capacity is the same between the 40 and 35. )</font>

Actually, according to the NH website, the TC35 is 200lbs less at the pivot points than the TC40/45 (1800lbs vs 2000lbs non-supersteer). But, yes, the pricing you are getting looks very good indeed.
Mark

/ John Deere 4120 or New Holland TC40DA?
I'll give that place a shout...thanks!