Minimum Tractor HP

/ Minimum Tractor HP #11  
One thing I'll add, since old fords came up.

Ford N series are great for disc's or plows.. but not rototillers.. ground speed is too high.

If you are 'married' to the idea of a rototiller.. don't get a ford N.. get another tractor model that has lower gearing ( ford has some other models that are appropriate for tillers).

I agree with the others.. 30 hp puts you in the 5' to 6' brush hog range, 5' box range.. standard dual ganged disc.. 2 bottom plow.. etc.

Plowing will not need 4wd.. nor will discing.. however.. if you get a loader.. deffinately consider at LEAST power steering and/or 4wd. I have a loader on a 2wd tractor ( ford 660 ).. it is nice as a powered wheelbarrow.. but not as completely usefull as a modern tractor with 4wd and PS.

Soundguy

/ Minimum Tractor HP #12  
Sound Guy, I have read and enjoyed your posts for a long time and this is the frist time I have had the oportunity to chime in and agree with you. I still have my 1955 model 600 Ford and equipment and I still have uses for it around here all the time. A cultivator is a brezze to pull with this machine, although we just use it to grow our peas and corn with. It's east to widen out and narrow up which I do about twice a year. So I say to the original poster that these old Fords still have a place for this type work or play. You can disk ground until it looks fine as had been tilled. Maybe I am old fashooned but I still prefer breaking and disking over tilling. teddy

/ Minimum Tractor HP #13  
I don't see why you need more than 15-18 hp. Kubota makes the BX 1530 and BX 1830 in those ranges. With relatively flat ground, clearance shouldn't be a problem. Either the JD 2210 or 4010 would do. These will all (except possibly the BX 1530) handle a 4' bush hog and about that size disc and harrow. These are certainly big enough for a couple of acres.

Unless you get a loader (and recommended; you'll never regret it), even something like a Gravely (now only used available) or BCS would do on such small acreages. If you need to get into tight places, even a 4' bush hog is kinda large. Even though I bought a JD 4010 with bucket and hog, I'm hanging onto my Gravely for going around shrubbery in the front and back yards (and even down to a 22" Lawnboy for really tight places) and for doing my little orchard/vineyard on my back hill. The 4' hog is just too big to get in there and not snag posts or uproot irrigation stuff. Whereas, the Gravely maneuvers around these and doesn't snag stuff lying on the ground.

Ralph

/ Minimum Tractor HP #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe I am old fashooned but I still prefer breaking and disking over tilling )</font>

Me too. I've no use for a tiller.

I have a 2 bottom old dearborn 10-1 plow.. and old 6' ford disc.. an old box blade and old chain drag harrow ( heck.. almost all my implements are old! ).

Not much that you can't scarfire up with the bow, or plow, or disc ( or a combination of all 3 ) , and not come out as good as a tiller. Course the tilelr would be a 1 pass deal.. but.. then you have less seat time!

Soundguy