state to state

/ state to state #1  

fatcatz

Tractor
none yet
my question is simple, If I buy a tractor Green,blue whatever in one state and live in another will the locale dealership stand but the green, blue warrenty??? Even though I know that you need to build a relationship with a locale dealer.

/ state to state #2  
I would say they should, but it depends on circumstances also. If there was hard feelings that lead to the purchase in another state, then maybe service and warranty won't be such a priority for that dealer. I tend to look at it like the service dept also needs the business, and there is always the potential for future sales if the service is good. Then again, if the relationship is already sour, that might not happen.

/ state to state #3  
I have always found that whatever I have bought, be it cars, trucks or tractors, the dealer that got the original sale is more likely to travel that extra mile for his customer when a warranty situation arises.
That is not saying that another dealer won't, but it is my experience that your best bet for warranty, especially in those questionable situations, is where you made the purchase.

Richard

/ state to state #4  
For most brands the dealer franchise agreement seems to be that any dealer is required to service a warrenty issue. However you may end up on the bottom of the pile in terms of priority, of course that totally depends on the dealership.

/ state to state
thanks to all that replied, I hope not to have any sour relations with any dealer. The reason for my question is a dealer in one state was around 3k less than the other!!!

/ state to state #6  
fatcatz, Maybe in talking to your local dealer,you can tell him that you would really prefer to buy local but this dealer in the next state is 3K less? Ask him if he could match or get close to that price so you could do business with him.
I ended up doing that very thing with one dealer in OHIO and my dealer in Md. I had been talking to my local dealer about the tractor I was interested in prior to the thanksgiving week ,which we spent with the wifes family in OHIO,while there saw a dealer of the same persuation and talked a little turkey to him. Well by the time I left I had a little AMMO for my dealer . Basically asked him in a respectful way why can I get the same tractor in OHIO for $xxxx less and he offered to match it. So I bought local, He sold a tractor and I got a better price.
I'm not a business man , But the dealer I bought from mentioned that he sometimes will get a better deal from the MANUFACTURER when doing more volume than if he was to hold out for top dollar , So he looks at it as getting his a profit on the other end a little later with his volume purchasing power.
As long as he does volume he's OK. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ state to state #7  
As far as I know, all brands require their dealers to do warranty work. I don't have this situation, but I did when I bought my Toyota Solara. I didn't want to drive across town to the selling dealer, so I took all my business to the closest dealer with no problems. Now, that may not work the same with tractor dealers, but I suspect it will.
I hate to make dealers sound as though they're vindictive. I think most are upstanding and would do the warranty work they will get paid for by the MFG. Yes, some may put you on a back burner, but I doubt that's the majority. John

/ state to state #8  
I can only speak about one instance. We bought our tractor near where we live (Philadelphia, PA) but had a problem while using the tractor on the property we bought in Dundee, NY. Being in the "middle of no where" we called the dealer we bought from who hooked us up with a local dealer. I can only say the dealer who helped us out with a warranty issue treated us like we had bought the tractor from him. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ state to state #9  
I just went through a similar situation. I had been shopping for tractors in Georgia and Alabama for several months. I had it narowed down to a Georgia New Holland dealer for a TC-33 with FEL and BH vs. a Alabama Kubota dealer for a 3130 with FEL and BH. I liked the Kubota more, but the New Holland was closer and less money. Well at the last minute I found a used TC-35 orginally sold by the Georgia New Holland dealer. The used TC-35 hydro 4WD had a 16LA loader, with toothbar, a 757-C backhoe, and canopy with 85 hours on it for 22K. I called the Georgia New Holland dealer and told him what I had found. I gave him the opporunity to do a better deal on the TC-33, he didn't move on the price. I told him I was getting a pretty good deal on the used tractor, and I was sorry I could not deal with him. I also told him I was in the market for a box blade, rotary cutter, disc harrow, and aux remotes. To make a long story short after buying the used tractor the New Holland dealer will not even speak to me. I tried pricing the above listed attachments and he is way over mfg. suggested retail price on everything. He even stated he didn't have any time to waste talking to me. I understand he is upset about not making the tractor sale, but he could be selling filters, fluid and attachments for the next 10 years. He has been so rude to me I will not even consider buying anything from him. When someone asks about my pretty blue tractor I say stay away from -------- Tractor in Newnan.

So be careful, you maybe like me getting a good deal, but have no dealer support.

/ state to state #10  
I like to say, you should only buy from a dealer if you are willing to depend on them as your only service source. If you buy from a distant dealer, and a local one comes through, that's great. But figure that they won't, when buying...

These guys usually aren't getting rich doing this. They may make money on service and parts, but not as much as you might think. The warranty work pays almostt nothing, especially when you consider the investment in equipment and trained staff. And we all like to buy equipment that doesnt have warranty issues, anyway! (trust me, warranty used to be the gravy that kept car dealerships open, those days are long gone!)

As to actual service, yes they are required to provide warranty service to you if you buy elsewhere.

You probbably won't be top priority
They won't tend to cut you as much slack on grey areas.
They won't honor saleman's promises (sure that batwing won't tear up yer TC24..!)
Better not call him at at 2am on sunday needing a part...
The manufacturer might not be as inclined to help, either, since they are set up for local servicing dealers. (been there, done that in the car business...)

I actually bought my current machine out of state, but the dealer is just as close as the "local" in state guy...