Buying new rider...single blade or double better?

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #1  

bobmarco

I had been given an old Snapper RER a few years back (which looks like it may have been abused a bit) which I've been using to mow my yard (~0.8 acres). Last fall the engine broke a conrod. Rather than replace the engine, I'm going to buy a new unit. I'm looking for something on the low end price-wise.

Here's my question:
A dealer told me he preferred a single bladed unit (28" or 30") over double because it provided a more powerful "vacuum" capability). THen, I've seen some forums where posters have said they prefer the multiple bladed model.

What am I to believe? Any opinions out there?

Thanks,
Bob

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #2  
My experience has been that a single blade unit gives a smoother cut than a multiblade unit. I don't know about the vacuum aspect. I suppose a larger blade would act more like a fly wheel which would keep you going in taller grass a little better but thats really one for the engineers on the forum

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #3  
ICGREEN is right, the single blade unit will give you a smoother cut if you have any dips, ditches, or other non-flat spots.

However, as far as I know 30" is about the maximum width for a single blade unit and cutting a larger area will be much slower than a 42" unit. If you don't have too many fence corners or other tight places you might want to go to a 48" for faster mowing.

I have had 2 Sears 42" units and got good service from both and I beat them pretty hard. The first was a 17HP B & S engine with pressure oiling (pressure oiling is a necessity if you are mowing 1/2 acre or more) and gave me good service for 5 years. I bought a 22HP 2 cylinder this year since I have some pretty tough hills and needed the extra HP for that.

Do yourself a favor and get the hydrostatic transmission. It will speed up your cutting time a lot.

This time of year Sears may be running some specials since it is a slow season for lawn mowers. I caught the 22HP unit on sale and saved $200 but the total cost was $1,599 plus tax.

Bill Tolle

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #4  
The area that I mow with my riding mower around my house is almost exactly what yours is at .89 acres.

I have a 38"riding mower and I would hate to go any smaller than that. In fact I really want to upgrade to a bigger size but this little ole mower will just not die!!!! (It is going to see its 11th birthday this spring.)

Since you are buying new I would not go below a 42" cut and since the single blades max out at around 30-32" this would make the choice for double blades easy for me. Unless you have that extra time to burn and love mowing /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #5  
I own a Snapper 33" with a single blade. I got that size for my old place because without question, the suction on it is much greater then multiple blades. I am sure it has to do with the way the deck completely surrounds the single blade with no "holes" to loose the vacuum action to. On the otherhand, if your not bagging, I'd go with the wider cut multiple blades. Rat...

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #6  
Murray makes a low priced model. I had a 38" gear drive model for over 10 years mowing about the same as you. Toward the end, I was hoping it would break, die, quit, wearout, or something so I could justify buying a larger hydro model. It never did quit. I finally sold it and bought a Sears 42" 19 hp hydro. Have had it for 7-8 years now and no problems with it either.
During that same period, my neighbor went thru 4 different off brand models, each one failing after 3-4 years. Finally bit the bullet and bought a JD last year.

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #7  
I have a Scotts (Murray?) 42" that gives me a very good cut. I use the high-lift blades and the only time it fails to pick up all the clippings is when the grass is wet and tall. In those cases I just take smaller bites. I can't imagine going to a smaller cut machine.

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #8  
I have noticed you have to keep your speed down with a single blade mower 30" if not you skip some. I have one a snapper. and my neighbor has a sears. When the grass get's to high you miss a lot if you go to fast.

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #9  
My Gravely is a 30" front-mounted mower. It does a beautiful job with the crossed blades. They're actually 2 blades on the same shaft, just crossed at 90 degree angles.

I used to mow the 4 or 5 acres of church property in NJ with a ZTR Scag with 3 blades, totalling 48" width. It did a good job, would have been better if it was a mulching unit like the Gravely is. The beauty of the Scag was that it was so easy to change the blades on it. The front deck cranked up, and all 3 blades were through-bolted. Took less than 5 minutes to take them off and less than 5 to put them back on. I sharpened them every mowing.

Ralph

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #10  
I can't tell you which cuts better, and i am not sure anyone can, my Gt has a 44" deck and has 3 blades, it cuts fine. But when the grass is fresh(spring time) or damp nothing will cut great. the tires mash the grass down and you are over it before it can spring back. ok by me, i just want to keep it mowed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif