Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #1  

Tombo

Tractor
none yet
OK, I don't know much about tractors, so this may be a silly question, but...

I went to the Agricultural Trade Show in Augusta, Maine last week and saw a 45 HP 4WD Massey Ferguson with Shuttle Shift and no loader for the same price as a tiny Farmall DX24 hydro with a loader. Does hydro and a loader REALLY cost that much or is the demand so high for small chassis tractors that they command a premium price tag?

For that matter, another dealer had an L4400 (maybe 4300 I don't remember now) 4WD gear drive with a loader for $20,000 and some change.

This makes shopping really confusing!

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #2  
Demand probably has a lot to do with it, as well as people like the size, the hydro, and the FEL in combination.
Also, IMO, prices are in the neighborhood of what people will spend, or can spend. Features get added just to keep the price at that level.

Similar to computers. The $2000+/- dollar range has been around for a long time, but the features increase daily it seems.

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #3  
Just remember, whatever you want will always cost the most!! Always does with me anyway.

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #4  
Let's simply tell them that we don't want this stuff. Once they lower the prices we'll catch them off guard. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #5  
The smaller ones are about $5,000 lower than then next frame size up. My JD 4010 was about $13,600. Think the next frame size up, a 4210 is about $18-19k. These are with basic FEL and bush hogs.

Ralph

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #6  
Remove the loader and HST, which the MF doesn't have, and now there's a $4000 difference.

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #7  
Actually used CUTs are only a little higher $ than new... Go figure...

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #8  
I think there are a few pricing 'anomolies' out there, ie the Deere 5000 series and NH TC30 where you have a no-frills economy tractor that actually turns out cheaper than it's smaller full feature compacts.

Now when you talk used, there does seem to be a wide gap on value - a 50hp or larger utility tractor seems to hold little value compared with a smaller unit.....probably because there isnt much use for that odd size tractor on most farms anymore.

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #9  
Have you priced shoes for babies/toddlers? I think the same pricing strategy applies to tractors as well.

/ Why Do Small Tractors Cost The Same As Larger Ones #10  
I am probably in the minority, however, I feel that some of the Mfgrs. key thier pricing to people with the dollars. I am a farmer and a dealer and I know the bigger tractors used in conjunction with farming are curently less expensive in my area, relatively speaking, of course. I assume the Mfgrs know that the farmer does not have as much clear income as they did some years ago and they are not going to get much money from them. On the other hand, the professional type person that buys the CUT and SUB CUT'S, usually have disposable income out the yazoo--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New First Choice 36 to 92 inch roto tillers in stock today*