Proper Etiquette???

/ Proper Etiquette??? #21  
I visited two John Deere Dealers. One was horrible, would not even stand up, too busy smoking his cigar. I had a similar problem with him 4 years ago when I was buying a hydro walk behind.

THe other JD dealer was super. His prices were about 10-12% below list and he said there was a 300 or 900 discount if I purchased before Feb ($depending on the model). I was actually quite satisfied with him. The problem is that there are so many bells and whistles (eHydro) on the HSD models they run higher than the Kubota. I also don't like the electronics on the machine, It is like a car, you need a computer to diagnose the problem.

GO vols too...

/ Proper Etiquette??? #22  
Tombo, You really can't go wrong w/either. Congrats on your choice.

Volnavy, I know exactly who "cigar" is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He was the highest of the 4 JD dealers I talked with. But atleast he did have the 2210 and let me test it out. I know another tractorhead that has dealt with him and he's not known for being very generous on trade-in's either, even when he's sold & maintained 'em!
Can't place who your good dealer is but I'd guess it's the big dealer out in the "foothills" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good for you if'n you can work a deal with them cause you can't get that big without doing something right. Unfortunately, we didn't hit it off at all.
The worst one, for me anyways, was the one way out north of town, he acted like I was wasteing his time and indicated to me that he hardly carried the 2210 or 4010 in stock because he only sold "big" tractors. Shame, because he was the closest and the one I originally wanted to deal with....

Electronics are great in what they do to squeeze every bit of energy out of internal combustion engines but as you indicate, they take the shade out of the tree from us DIY mechanics. The Kubota BX23 has electronic shutdown & no manual choke and at 14 hrs it works outstandingly but, I know I'll dread toubleshooting it if/when the need arises!

The best tractor is the one that cranks ya /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have a good 'un.
Volfandt

/ Proper Etiquette??? #23  
$200, is nothing in the big picture as many have said go with the dealer you like best. It is a personal judgement and value call you have to make if you tell him the price quotes from the other dealers.

I just bought my tractor a few days ago, I was willing to spend considerably more to help my soon to be local economy and help out the small family owned/run no commission dealer. Ended up he was way cheaper than the other guys, but I would guess had I taken some other quotes in he would have matched them.

steve

/ Proper Etiquette??? #24  
This has been a great thread, but loyalty starts with a good deal. I'd buy on price no matter what since the deal is key. Maybe if your buying a giant tractor and will need tons of parts but for sub-CUT, I think price is king. I dont know of any dealer around me who wouldn't love to have your service dollars.

I'm loyal to my local dealer, but he also knows its based on price more than my personal friendship with him.

Its sorta a business is business type of thing.

That might sound harsh, but I dont do the match this price battle. I ask for a price then tell them I'm shopping at other dealers too. I buy from the lowest one. If they are close, I will go to my local dealer. Normally they are not close. $900 on my BX2230 and the first dealer said he had the best deals.