Proper Etiquette???

/ Proper Etiquette??? #1  

Tombo

Tractor
none yet
Fellow TBNers;

I was wondering about etiquette when comparing quotes from different dealers?
Dealers A, B & C are all within $150-$200 of each other. I purchased my garden tractor from Dealer B, but his is the most expensive quote. Should I show him the quotes from the other two dealers? Should I ask if he will throw in the parts and fluids for the 50 hour service?

I can't compare this with auto purchaing, because I only support one FORD dealer who is consistantly 1-2k lower than any other.

For what it's worth, I am purchasing a John Deere 4110 hydro, 4WD, R4 (loaded), imatch, block heater, work light, 410 loader with 49" bucket (2 chain hooks), grill guard, 46 backhoe w/ 13" bucket, and ballast box.

I am only planning on doing this once and want to do the right thing.

Thanks!

Tombo

/ Proper Etiquette??? #2  
With the amount of money you are going to drop on this purchase, the 200 bucks between the high and low bid are next to nothing. As has been said here many time, the dealer that you feel will give the best sercive and support would be the one I chose. Thats not to say I wouldn't try to get maybe the first service rolled into the deal. You will have your tractor a long time and things will break or wear out. Which dealer do you trust?

/ Proper Etiquette??? #3  
Here are a few questions for you. Do you like the guy? Is he honest, trustworthy, stands behind his product? If so, go with him. What's $200.00 on an expensive item like that.

/ Proper Etiquette??? #4  
In my business, I'd just send an RFQ (request for quote) to the dealers asking them for the best possible prices and service agreement then choose the best one. In my personal business, I sometimes would go to the dealer I like the most and told him what I want him to do to close the deal. If he takes it then the sale is his. If not then the other leading candidate gets it. In no circumstance would I show one guy a quote from the other.

Funny thing I discussed this with people in my business ethics class years ago. Some hard line guys still would say telling a dealer what he has to do to close the deal is wrong but most every one thought such practice is OK for personal business.

/ Proper Etiquette??? #5  
The fact that you asked shows your sensitivity toward relationship with the dealer. I would treat the dealer(s) the way you would want them to treat you if you were in their shoes. They will respect you more and treat you better when you come the next time for service. I agree w/ the other posts, $200 bucks is nothing on a purchase that size. They are trying to make a living too, though they don't have to make it all on you. Go with the one you trust the most.

/ Proper Etiquette??? #6  
I don't think it's good etiquite to actually show the bids. You could mention to the dealer that the quotes are very close and mention some things that you'd like in his, which is maybe a little higher than the others.

I had quotes that were within $100 of each other from 2 different JD dealers. I chose the one very nearby rather than the one requiring me to go over a foggy mountain. The quotes were also very close to that for the nearest kind of Kubota. That dealer, again, is much further away, and I didn't like the Kubota.

I DID use one part of the other JD quote when the dealer I bought from was trying to charge me more for the LX4 cutter at one point. I mentioned the other quote as being such and such for the cutter and included such and such.

I see why you went with the 4110: for the BH.

The dealer I bought from has treated me pretty good. He got a bucket level for me. Claimed it was supposed to be included. Have read comments hereing that this isn't so. He also gave me a 2nd key when I asked for it. Think that should have been included anyway.

Ralph

/ Proper Etiquette??? #7  
If you were talking about thousands of dollars difference then you would have good reason to work one deal against the next. For a mere couple of hundred bucks I would recommend that you pick a dealer that best suits your needs and relatively close to your home to save you some transportation charges down the road..

vTC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Proper Etiquette??? #8  
I agree with the others... $200 delta is nothing on a purchase this size. I would not even try to get my favorite dealer to match the low bid. He (she) is entitled to make a reasonable profit on the sale. I might even tell him (her) that he gets the business even tho another dealer was lower. I'll bet you make that $200 back time after time in the service department and on attachments.

/ Proper Etiquette??? #9  
Yeah I would go along with the rest. You have a pretty expensive rig there and for 200.00 and you having peace with it, I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the tractor home and start having fun. You may show him just to help him out for future sales but don't ask for anything. You never know, he might even say thank you for showing me them and I tell you what, I will give you some oil free and the first service free. Keep the guy happy so he doesn't change his mind about liking you.

murph

/ Proper Etiquette??? #10  
You could tell him that he is pretty close and that a set of manuals at cost would cinch the deal. That way you would get money off on them and he wouldn't be losing any money. Win, Win.