Help!

/ Help! #1  

REDBANK

I need some advice here.
I am (was) so, so close to buying a JD 4310 for mowing, plowing snow, grading, and playing on our (wife's) family farm. We just built a house on it, and I need something to take care of the grounds and roadway. But I think I'm having a change of philosophy.
We (FIL, BIL,and me) own 154 acres of farm plus a whole bunch of rented land, all for hay, corn, soybeans, oats etc. I am not the farmer of the bunch, they are, I'm the help. We have big tractors to do the big work, don't really need anymore.
I know I could get a variety of sizes of tractor for what I am doing, but I purposely wanted something smallish so it would not be abused for the farm (knowing how the in-laws are(keep this in mind, that's why I'm posting the question here! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)). So I was set on the 4310. But now I'm thinking this might be somewhat foolish. Why don't I get a tractor that can perform allot of the farm's functions, like moving round bales, raking hay (good size "v" wheel rake), and some other jobs that needs a little more HP, basically making this tractor a much more useful tool, not just a glorified lawnmower. I realize this might seem like a no brainer, but it really isn't for me. I still want to be able to mow my not-so-nice yard (not a lawn ), and park in my garage with this machine.
Thanks

/ Help! #2  
The 4310 is a nice all around tractor. However, my belief is it is getting a tad bit big for finish mowing but yet way to light for moving them big bales. Use the big farm tractors for moving the bales and you could go smaller on your tractor for mowing and doing odds and ends around the house.

just my opinion.

murph