Advice needed and appreciated.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #11  
David, whichever tractor you chose, make sure that you have the rear tires loaded. You will want the extra weight and the lower center of gravity for pulling logs in hilly terrain.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #12  
PSDF350,
I now that we all have $ limitations and I think that every tractor is a compromise.
What I would and have suggested in the past is to try and figure out what size tractor would do the required work best and then buy the NEXT SIZE UP. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
The advise given on which brand of tractor to buy is right on. The size of the machine will only be an issue if it is too small.
If you are even a little unsure of the decision as to what size machine you will be satisfied with, pay extra attension to the resale value in your area of the different makes in case a change is required. What you will be satisfied with will have some to do with what the machine is capable of but it is not the last word. A sub compact with a hoe will dig out a stump however a large frame 45+ HP machine will do it quicker and with a lot less strain on the machine. you will be spending a lot of time operating the machine that you choose and a few thousand $ will soon be forgotten if you make the correct choice, however if you don't, you will be reminded every time that you climb into the seat.
Good luck!

/ Advice needed and appreciated.
great advice guys thanks. Kensfarm if the tractor was only for my land i believe you would be dead on. but my plans are to use this tractor to make money, logging small woodlots for folks that dont want big machines on there property and anything else that i could do to make money with it. that is the reason for 50+ hp. but on the other hand i dont want to go to big becuase that would defeat the purpose. so my thought are 50-75hp. to any that did read my thanks for nothing thread my apoligies

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #14  
<font color="blue"> "New Holland even though there the closest. they just don't seem up to being in the woods" </font>

<font color="black"> Just curious as to what it was you saw that led to this determination? I have used 3 different brands in the woods. NH has been the best at it so far. But any standard tractor is not at its best in the woods too many things to get tore off or up from limbs up above or down below. There default design is not for protection from such things.I have found ground clearance is a big factor in how well they work out in the woods. So bigger is better and you still might have to take some time and thought in to protecting vulnerable places. This is what I found on the NH to be the simplest cheapest and quickest to accomplish. Good luck with you decision the more Info you get the tougher it may get. Be careful of what you ask.!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font>

i sure am not against the NH it was just by looking at them they seemed not as rugged as the kioti and kubotas and john deeres. i honestly dont know how right or wrong my assumption is it was just the impression i got from it. i am definitly not trying to put them down in any way what so ever.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #16  
Yes I did not take it as a slam against a brand. I just look for the product that will get the job done when I am shopping. I am not brand loyal. I know a manufacture like everyone has its good and bad days and its good and bad models. I was just curios as to what you saw that I may have missed. Anyway it could have been the model you looked at. I did have A Kioti DK55 and I had a number of problems with it in the woods and other issues. I had the luxury to learn from experience. I did learn that if you want to do a lot of heavy work in the woods then a utility size tractor is what you might want to be looking at. They are just generally built up a bit better than a CUT.... Did I say that outloud /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i am planning to buy a tractor uses are many.
1) small scale logging/landclearing/habitate improvement
2) moving snow piles possibly plowing/snow blowing
3) digging pulling up stumps
4) digging trenches
)</font>

Definitely 4WD w/ backhoe. For added traction in fields get R1 tires. Snow and Ice, Maybe R4's. Your choice on trannys.
Look at the JD 4X20 series. Kubota 5030 too. I'm not that familiar with others to recommend.

The problem is for some jobs you wish for a bigger machine and others, a smaller. I'm lucky right now, I have both.

PS. Backhoes are pricey. So are trenchers. Many rent these for special needs.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #18  
David,

You might consider a Branson. There's a dealer in Keene, according to the Branson web page.

I think you should be able to get the size, power and attachments you need for under $30k. Look in the Zetor/Century/Branson forum for more discussion on this line of tractors.

thanks guys good info some i knew some i didn't. jastn70 you seem like you spend some time in the wooods doing what if i may ask? BillG the branson dealer also sell kioti.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #20  
another point to consider, is if you are going to use this machine for hiring out, DO YOU HAVE SOME WAY TO TRANSPORT IT?