Hydro with and with out a clutch

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
General question,

I gather that some hydro tractors have clutches either for range changes or for PTO engagement (or both) and some don't. I'm curious if this is a by-manufacturer difference? Is there some advantage to having a clutch, or do the ones that don't have a clutch really have one, but it's automatic? If so, why wouldn't this be a standard feature? Why would you want a clutch? Would you only buy a particular hydro tractor (assuming you wanted one) that had, or didn't have a clutch for range shifting or PTO engagement?

The whole thing confuses me. Early on, I was under the impression that hydro tractors didn't have clutches at all (mine doesn't), but some time ago I found this wasn't true and it's been bugging me ever since.

Cliff

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #2  
My NH TC33DA Hydro has a clutch, which according to the NH manual is supposed to be utilized whenever shifting in or out of neutral or hi, mid, or lo range (and also whenever engaging the PTO). My NH dealer insists it's wasted effort, the clutch has no effect on the drivetrain shifting process & is only for PTO. I tried it his way & all seems to work, but after going back & rereading the manual, I'm sticking with the clutch. Maybe someone who really knows the system can help out here?

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #3  
My Kubota B7500 HST has a clutch. I use it for three different scenarios; starting, engaging the PTO, and PANIC /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

It's required for starting because of a safety switch. I don't think it is necessary, however if you had the hydro pedal pressed, the tractor would begin to move if the drive train was in gear.

The clutch has to be depressed to engage the PTO. This actually may be the reason they have the clutch.

Switching the drivetrain gear does not require the clutch. But, since that gear is not synchronized, the tractor has to be stopped. Since the clutch is in front of the hydro, and the hydro drives the drivetrain, pressing the clutch does nothing if you release the hydro pedal. I guess if you wanted to continue to hold the hydro pedal, or had it in cruise, the clutch would work just great.

Last, in my early experience with this tractor, I got into a couple of situations where my brain was just overloaded with the rate at which things were happening. In a panic and new to hydro I would stomped the clutch. That stops everything. I guess it was an old instinct from older tractor days. I am glad it was there.

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #4  
I think the major benefit I can think of is engaging or disengaging the PTO instantly. When I had my brush mower I would also use it to very slowly get the blades up to speed. For my auger it allows me to instantly stop the auger should it bind into a rock etc. Other then that, I don't even use it for changing ranges typically. It does require depressing in order to start which has kept my 3 year old from starting it up.

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #5  
<font color="blue"> My Kubota B7500 HST has a clutch. I use it for three different scenarios; starting, engaging the PTO, and PANIC </font> /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
How does one stop a tractor from moving forward and PTO operating in emergencies when a clutch is not present? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #6  
The Kubota B7510 that I tried out had a clutch. Think maybe the BX1830 did too. Suspect these need a clutch for the PTO because the PTO is gear-engaged. The PTO on my JD seems to be solenoid-engaged.

The PTO for my neighbor's old JD 820 is gear-engaged, but it has a clutch because it's a gear tractor.

The PTO on my Gravely is gear-engaged. I have to throttle back the engine to idle or put the forward/reverse lever in neutral for a short period to engage it.

Think the clutch on the Kubotas, and from another poster with a NH, is the reason why they had to put the brakes on the right. Would make more sense to have a hand clutch and put the brakes on the left.

Ralph

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #7  
If there's any advantages to having a clutch I would have to go with the instant "shutdown" of PTO and movement plus it really comes in handy when using a PHD.
My L3130 has a switch for the PTO and you don't need the clutch to engage, if the rpms are a tad high it tends to start the brush hog a little rough. Using a clutch lets you ease a PTO into motion.
I'm surprised to read that all tractors (HST) don't have a clutch.

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How does one stop a tractor from moving forward and PTO operating in emergencies when a clutch is not present? )</font>

To stop forward or reverse motion: - Lift your foot off the hydro pedal or press it in the opposite direction.
To stop the PTO: Move the lever to OFF.
To stop both at the same time: Turn the key to OFF.

Those are your only choices, so you just get used to that mode of operation. Of course, if you stomp the brake pedal hard enough, you may kill the engine, but the key is quicker. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Hydro with and with out a clutch #9  
Thats what I thought.
I like the clutch to shut both off. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif