Tractor Sizing What size tractor for me?

/ What size tractor for me? #11  
I think you could get the BX23 with a mower for $15k if you buy a used one. I also suspect you could find a new BX23 without a mower for $15k in your area, as that's what they seem to go for down here. Granted, I understand the NE is more expensive than the SE.

I bought my BX23 for alot of the same reasons you seem to be looking at yours, and was perhaps in a similar situation as yourself. The machines which my decision finally came down to were the BX23 and the B7610/FEL/BH. I bought the BX because it was less expensive, and because it would fit on my trailer (I already owned the trailer), and because I could tow it with my Toyota pickup (I alredy owned the Toyota). Buying a larger machine would have meant that I was buying a new truck and trailer to move the tractor around with if I had to. I also considered the Massey GC2310, but at the time I was looking, there was a six week wait for it to come in stock, and the JD 2210 and NH TZ24, but they had no backhoe.

I bought the BX23 with relatively little actual tractor experience behind me. When I was in high school my dad had a 1920-ish Farmall model 14, which I had used quite a bit. However, there is absolutely no comparison of an 80 year old tripod style tractor to a new tractor, so I just say I had no tractor experience. When I took delivery of the BX23, I realized it was alot more capable than I had expected it to be, and so far I've been very happy with it. Possibly the only thing I would do differently is to buy a rear finish mower, or a completely different lawn tractor, rather than the mid mount mower. The mid mount mower is about the same price as the typical Home Depot Cub Cadet, and a little more than a rear finish mower. Don't get me wrong, the MMM cuts great, but I suspect it's less convenient than a three point hitch mounted mower.

When I started out looking I was looking at used machines, and finally gave up. Most of the used machines I saw were trashed machines with a new paint job, or were almost the same price as a new one, so I just bit the bullet and bought a new one.

I've been clearing my 2 acre property, and have made lots of progress. There were only a couple times I wished I had a bigger tractor, but frankly, those times required a huge tractor, not the types of tractors I was looking at to begin with.

And yes, the BH is fun. I've used mine alot, a whole lot.

/ What size tractor for me? #12  
Just a thought as everyone chimes in about BH/no BH/rent equipment, etc. The price someone is willing to pay for a new tractor & attachments is in direct proportion to where they live, how much work they want to do themselves, and their experience with 'help for hire'; especially in the Boston area.

I lived (until 3 months ago) in the Boston/metrowest area (Hudson, MA to be specific - somewhere north of JHB) I could NOT get a callback from a landscape or a stonewall guy - not to mention a plumber - if my life depended on it. $$ wasn't the object, I would have paid, it's just that there are not enough tradespeople to tackle all the potential customers with fatter wallets than mine! I enjoy doing most work myself and that's what I ended-up doing with the landscaping. It took longer but what the heck. I thought I would escape the 'no call back' when I moved to Vermont - WRONG! The only landscaper to return my call for a utility trench wanted $2k for 100ft x 2ft deep Ditch Witch trench. That's 1/3rd the cost of the BH I ended-up buying for my JD 4110 which I'll have for many, many years for many, many more projects! Not to mention that I can now tackle these projects at my own pace AND involve the bride and the kids...

So, JHB, if you got the cash, the inkling to the work yourself, and want 'the toys' - go for it. I'm a JD man myself but for $10-12k the Kubota is a great machine and will service your .6 acres for a Loooooong time.

Best, -Norm

/ What size tractor for me? #13  
Depends on how much money you want to spend. A backhoe is going to add roughly $5,000 to the tractor.

You can rent a ditching machine for a few days for a lot less than that for your ditches.

For about $100 you can get a Middle Buster like this and that would cut the french drain ditch for you. You would still have to shovel the dirt out or use the FEL to clean it out but that is a whole lot cheaper than a BH.

If you are going to put in any ditches you need to mow through a box blade or straight blade tilted to one side would be the better choice since you can make the ditches 6' or 8' wide and gently sloped.

You might look into hiring someone with a BH. In East Texas I can get a big BH with operator and fuel for $55 an hour, 3 hour minimum and that guy can do more in three hours than I could do in 8 hours on a BH.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Bill Tolle

/ What size tractor for me?
BX sounds like a possibility. So does the MF mentioned above.

Does JD have a sub-cut with a BH? I may be missing something, but the 2000 series does not ahve one and the 4000 is no sub-cut.

/ What size tractor for me? #15  
Look below. A guy with a JD 2210 bought a Woods BH to go on it.

Ralph