Tractor Sizing What size tractor for me?

/ What size tractor for me? #1  

jhb

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
OK, 1st post, and I am in the process of going through the information on this site, but thought I might post a question to see what responses I get at the same time.

I am new to tractors, never owned one, never been on one. However, I just bought a house in southern MA and have lots of landscaping work to do, and love to do things myself.

Here is my situation. I own .6 acres, largley flat but over ledge, I have LOTS of drainage issues, and some "damp" land (don't want to use the "w" word!). I need to regrade and dig french drains on most of the property. I also will be learning how to make stone walls, and have lots of stone walls currently on the property I will be moving.

So, for the most part I need to move stone, regrade and then mow when complete. I figure I should be at it for a few years, and I definitley need equipment to do so.

I know I want an FEL and BH, and a mower. A snowblower would be cool too, especially afer the 40+ inches we just got.

I would like to get used, but they are hard to find around here.

I am seriously thinking about a sub-compact Kubota BX22, BX23 etc. The closest dealer is John Deere, and I have seen some Kiotis around.

I have also seen an Iron Horse with FEL and BH advertised for 12k, new, which seems a possibility

So I guess my question is, what is a good tractor for me? I would like to keep it under 10k, but I also want something reliable. What should I consider?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

/ What size tractor for me? #2  
I think in $ C, but I don't think you will be able to get a tractor, FEL, and hoe , new or used, at any size, for under $10K. A front blower would cost at least a few thousand more.

Given the amount of land you've got, I'd suggest a BX2200 or somesuch with a FEL and middle mount mower and skip the hoe. Hoes are very expensive, and you may find a small hoe (like on a sub CUT) a little less useful than you may want. Sometimes it pays to get a professional to come in and help or to rent - it can often be less expensive than the wear and tear on your machine.

We have a BX2200 and a L3010. I am amazed at the amount of landscaping work (mostly rock related) my wife has done with the BX.

Just my opinion, but think of a sub-cut for your size of plot.

/ What size tractor for me? #3  
Since you only need the backhoe for this one-time drain project, it might make sense to rent one..because you are not going to find a compact with loader, hoe and mower for 10 grand - even a Chinese tractor of dubious quality. Additionally, figure a grand or so for a rear mounted snowblower, considerably more for a front mount.

One alternative for the loader/backhoe would be a Terra-Mite or Allman tractor, these are often used by rental places...bout the size of a BX22 but gas powered, and cheaper. They do not offer any other attachments though, so no mower. I often see clean Terra Mites for 9 grand used.

/ What size tractor for me?
Wow, great site, already replies!

I have been reading other threads and in the past 20 minutes am already a more informed buyer, but still have a ways to go.

One point made, since you all feel I might not need a BH (JD Dealer asked me the same question), what I if purchased a smaller sub-cut like a bx2200 and put a Woods BH on it. would that save money and still be sufficient to dig in the mud? I only need a 9 or 12 inch bucket.

I would like to stick the the big 3 (well, 2, no NH dealers close by) for resale, if I ever sell it!

What implements should I consider to regrade the land?

/ What size tractor for me? #5  
I'd rent a ditch witch or even buy a 4" trenching shovel to do your trenches. I've done lots of trenches with a 4" trenching shovel. Lowes and Home Depot have them.

Buy or rent a post hole digger for your landscaping. It's a lot cheaper than a BH. Lots of Gravely folks use their rotary plows to dig trenches and post holes and planting holes. BCS makes their own version of a rotary plow. If you really need to stay within $10k, I'd check into a BCS. You can probably get a new one with rotary plow, cart, mower, snow thrower, etc. and stay below $10k.

I'd almost offer you my Gravely with rotary plow, mower, MacKissic shredder, snow plow, snow thrower, cart, sulky and 8 tires and rims (2 sets of 4 wheel duals) for less than half the $10k, but I'm yet ready to sell it all. Still may need the rotary plow and mower on the Gravely and need the cart on my JD 4010. Got a guy maybe coming to look at the snow thrower. I paid $3,400 for my Gravely and most of this stuff, another $200 for the rotary plow and bought the other set of tires and wheels and brakes, etc.

Go check out the BCS stuff at http://www.bcsamerica.com/root/BodyText/BCS+Features.htm

Ralph

/ What size tractor for me? #6  
I am one of the guys that did not look to see if the tractor and attachment match my property. I have a 30 hp tractor with FEL and BH. Plus many other attachments for my 4 acres. I did not consider whether it was cost worthy or powered to suit my property. First consideration was getting lawn cut in a short time. Needed a 72" mower. That made me look at largest B series <font color="orange"> Kubota</font>. Then I wanted all the convinces of the B2910. Later I added a BH. I do not need the size tractor that I have. But like you I want to do things myself. I have done a lot of projects that would never have been done unless I had this size tractor.
With a lot the size you have, A B2910 would have problems moving around your lot. But a BX23 sure would be great to dig your own drains and mow the lawn. Then you could put a water garden in a corner of the back yard. Install a landscape berm in front yard. I find the projects tend to match the size of equipment I have.
Has anyone mentioned that a tractor with FEL is the best wheelbarrow you will ever buy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I guess I better mention that I like spending others money better than spending mine. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What size tractor for me? #7  
I agree with the others. The backhoe use I would rent. Backhoes and hard on tractors and if buying used who knows what it went through. Get a sub-compact. Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Kioti and others make some pretty nice ones. I would take the snow blower over the back hoe any day.

murph

/ What size tractor for me?
Intersting, after reading a few threads, I was thinking about a b2910, but after reading your post, I am back to a BX23.

BTW, $10k was a wish. I think I may have to spend at least 15k if I want the BH, and you all are right, I probably do not need it, but they are fun, are'nt they?

Will a BX23 be able to handle the grading? I am trying to get my contractor to dump about 40 yards in my front yard that I can blend in, and that's a start!

I wonder if I can get the bx23 with MMM for 15k? I reason I certainly can get it back in a few years.

would a JD 750 be too big?

/ What size tractor for me? #9  
I think the sub-cuts would be fine for your needs. I'm partial to the BX23 or Massey 2310 if you need a backhoe. Check out the Massey Furgeson if there is a dealer nearby. Its a nice package. A little roomier than the BX23 with slightly greater 3pt hitch capacity. You will be using the 3pt hitch if you are doing a lot of grading. I think either of these two would be at least 16K with MMM.

I don't think you would be saving any money adding a woods BH to a bx2300 or MF 2300, and in my opinion would not end up with as nice a package. I also don't think you would have the resale value of buying the factory TLB packages. Nothing against woods, they make great stuff, I just think the factory bx23 or MF2310 packages are tough to beat.

If you don't need a backhoe the JD 2210 is a nice machine too. Even roomier than the MF 2310, little bigger machine.

I think any of the sub-cuts could do the work you want to do.

You'll see this advice on every "new buyer" thread. Drive them all, figure out which one fits you best, and give heavy consideration to the dealer. Support is a HUGE factor, particularly with your first tractor.

My inlaws have a "pocket" (6-8 acres) horse farm an hour west of Boston. Its amazing how you guys can grow rocks. Makes nice walls though.

Have Fun.

/ What size tractor for me? #10  
I have a Kioti CK20 HST TLB, that I bought new last year and it is my first real (not counting my 12.5 hp lawn tractor) tractor. Like you I got it to do landscaping and to move rocks and I have moved some already with the FEL. Nice machine and I am real happy. But if you do not want to spend much more than around 10K you might want to look at the Power Trac 425 thru www. power-trac.com sometimes this site is at the top of this page. They are all sold out of Virgina and while they are not perfect units (are there any?) for moving rocks the close proximity of the opertor to the buket looks very handy. Under the power trac section of tractorbynet there are dozens of great posts from some pretty happy owners. Check out Mossroads video of his unit in action! Never seen a unit with so many attachments available. Power Trac will send you a video if you want - at least they would did last year.The big disadvantage I guess is that these are all sold out of Virgina and there is no real local dealer network. But I've read that some local shops will service some of the engines. This unit looks like it would take up very little garage space too. Depending on how you like to store your equipment (indoors, outside unprotected, under a well secured tarp) remeber if you pay more than 10K for a tracor you might very well want to keep it inside when not in use. Small size can make snse if that is the case. There is a dealer listed here, out of New York, that sells the BX23 (think that's the unit)with a backhoe and loader for a decent price about 15,500 I think. There are many good posts on that unit too. Have fun shopping, buying and using! Charlie