What type of tractor to get??

/ What type of tractor to get?? #1  

jwk

I'm totally new to tractors. I just bought 11 acres and need a tractor. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

What I need it for:
- 11 acres, flat, heavily wooded, can get pretty soggy
- make a driveway -- grade it, push around gravel, etc.
- clear out brush, maybe small trees?
- lawn grading, eventually mowing (once I build)
- once I get built, I'm sure I'll need it for general maintenance

I don't want to spend too much, a used tractor would be OK I think. I'd like to stay under $10K if possible, but I don't know if it is, for what I want.

How much tractor do I need? what implements? Thanks in advance for any comments!!

/ What type of tractor to get?? #2  
JWK . Welcome to TBN ! Your first post sounds a bit like mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Not to sound discouraging,but 10k for a decent tractor for your needs is a bit optimistic . You are most likely needing a tractor in the 20-30 Hp range with an FEL and 4wd. Implements like a brush hog ,and rearblade/boxblade push up the price as well . That pushes up the cost to around 15-25 K . , Depending on the makes and models You choose . Sorry if I caused You some "sticker shock ". Good luck shopping . And hopefullyYou'll have to spend less than I stated .;
John

/ What type of tractor to get?? #3  
JWK, welcome, we have something in common, we both have 11 acres in Texas, that are heavilyl wooded, and both have similar to do lists.

After much reading here, and much price comparision I purchased a JD 790 MFWD, with loader, box blade, post hole digger and a LX 5 cutter. Since then I have added a harrow rake and a set of forks for the loader.

The tractor has done everything I have asked of it, (I have had it for a little more than a year now) and has allowed me to make incredible progess on my property.

I looked at used tractors but with the financing deals available on new, it just wasn't that much more to get a new one.

I am sure you will get many suggestions, as there are many great tractors in the hp range you will need. Take your time and drive them all, look for a good dealer, (not just a good deal) and before you know, you will know what you want.

Best of luck to you.

/ What type of tractor to get??
Thanks for the responses! After doing a lot of reading other posts, I came to a similar conclusion--about 25 HP, 4WD. I like the idea of having a FEL, seems handy, but how necessary is it for what I want to do? It's pretty expensive.

I get the impression that tractors in general don't depreciate much. A used one isn't much cheaper than a new one. Is this true? What is a rule of thumb for % depreciation vs. time?

/ What type of tractor to get?? #5  
By all means get a loader, you'll never regret having one and you won't believe how much you'll use it. The greatest hydraulic wheelbarrow ever invented. It's much cheaper to get one with the tractor than to add on later and would be a selling point down the road as well. IMO.

/ What type of tractor to get?? #6  
I don't know about a rule of thumb, but I do know you can find a good used tractor for $10K. For various reasons people unload compact tractors from time to time and offer some really good buys. You don't have to pay taxes on the used which saves about $800-$1200 in addition to the depreciation.

Just be patient and check around. I agree you'll want a FEL if you have all that woods. But you don't have to get it right now. If you find a good buy on a used tractor that will take a FEL you can get it later. That is what I did. I have a FEL in the future plans. You don't have to buy all your attachements at one time.

/ What type of tractor to get?? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the responses! After doing a lot of reading other posts, I came to a similar conclusion--about 25 HP, 4WD. I like the idea of having a FEL, seems handy, but how necessary is it for what I want to do? It's pretty expensive.

I get the impression that tractors in general don't depreciate much. A used one isn't much cheaper than a new one. Is this true? What is a rule of thumb for % depreciation vs. time?
)</font>

Unless just pulling wagons, mowing or tilling, a tractor without a loader is useless in my opinion. At my dealer better than 90% of all tractors are delvered with loaders. Also I would recomment a 30hp class machine if you can. The difference in frame sizes makes the larger (still small) tractor much more useful.

Andy

/ What type of tractor to get?? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the responses! After doing a lot of reading other posts, I came to a similar conclusion--about 25 HP, 4WD.)</font>

For as much as it rains down there, I would definitely get 4WD if I were you. 25 HP would be adequate in my opinion for your acreage.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I like the idea of having a FEL, seems handy, but how necessary is it for what I want to do? It's pretty expensive.)</font>

Like my mom says, you don't HAVE to do anything, except die and pay taxes...

Few things are really necessary, but like everyone else I'll say get the FEL, you won't regret it. I had the same dilemma when I bought mine and I'm sure glad my dealer talked me into it. You'll be amazed at how handy it is to have.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I get the impression that tractors in general don't depreciate much. A used one isn't much cheaper than a new one. Is this true? What is a rule of thumb for % depreciation vs. time?)</font>

I suspect depreciation varies with color and region.

I'll admit that when I was shopping, I was not color blind - right or wrong, I went shopping for Kubota only because of previous experience with a garden tractor of theirs, but also because there are two good dealers within 30 miles of my place. I looked for a used tractor but didn't find many and those had retained significant value. What I finally bought was a new but discontinued model tractor for a steep discount that put it at or below the used prices, but still had the factory 3-year warranty and 3-year 0% financing.

You may not be able to do that exact thing, but I guess what I'm saying is that with the brand-name tractors you may find it is fairly economical to buy new when you consider warranties, dealer financing, and the high used market where you are. In Texas, you will not have to pay sales tax on a new tractor either.

Good luck with your decision.

Pete

/ What type of tractor to get?? #9  
jwk, GET THE FEL!!

From your list I see you can use it for every one of the to do items on your list.

With your soggy gulf coast land you will use the FEL to push yourself out when you get stuck.

You will use it to push gravel and back drag to smooth the driveway.

With a tooth bar you will use you FEL to clear brush and remove small trees. It's so easy.

You can use the FEL when lawn grading.

There are about 101 uses for the FEL in regular maintenance.

Now can I convince you need HST?

Sneaky Pete please expand on your statement - <font color="blue">"In Texas, you will not have to pay sales tax on a new tractor either."
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ What type of tractor to get??
OK, I think I'm convinced I need the loader. Now txdon mentions HST... I was thinking I don't need it, just stay with shifting gears. But I don't know what HST buys you. What are the pros/cons of HST?