Tractor Sizing Does Size Really Matter???

/ Does Size Really Matter??? #11  
My white pines are on a 10' planting and at 35 years they are stunted and killing one another off. That 12' seems too close to me too. Guess that's what is being recommended and OK if you want to thin 50% down the line.

/ Does Size Really Matter??? #12  
I did get my state forester out to my place, and also read much on the subject, and the recommendation for most hardwoods was 8 to 10 feet spacing, and 6 feet for some (poplars I think are in that group) for the reasons that others mentioned-- they will grow up faster instead of wasting energy spreading, and they will be straighter as well. Then cull them as needed. The white pines you mentioned probably should have been culled about 20 years ago.

If the trees aren't planted for harvesting, I don't think spacing matters as long as you plan for competition, i.e., don't plant the persimmons were they will soon be shaded by the taller, faster growing trees.

/ Does Size Really Matter??? #13  
When I mowed our yard with the BIG tractor, I would notice marks in some spots where I turned, or had to use 4 wheel drive (I mowed in 2 wheel drive mostly). The tractor is heavier, so it has to compact more than the B series, but I've only used the L3010, so it's hard to compare. I still bush hog by the small sapplings and they are growing okay. I really can't say for sure whether or not I'm impacting them with the weight of the tractor. Actually, I never thought about it before. To me, the weight is such a huge advantage on my hills that I couldn't really consider going lighter. I do have my tires loaded, that alone adds 1300 pounds. But, I only bush hog the area two or three times a year. I have noticed the big tree farms around here have bigger tractors than mine.
Sorry I can't be of more help for your compaction question.

Moon of Ohio