Tractor Sizing Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size?

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #1  

firsttimer

I spent a lot of time looking. Both on the Internet and Local Dealers. Been Looking mainly at New Hollond and Kubota, however I am open to other makes as well. I have looked closely at the NH TZ series and the Kubota BX series, but I have made up my mind that these tractors are too small for my wants. (Needs probably suited OK). I want to be able to Mow, (Prefer MMM), FEL, snowblower. My yard has a walkout basement and I am looking to landscape a retainer wall. Dealer says I would be better with a 5ft width rather than a 4ft width. Is there that big a difference? I've been looking at the TC series and the B series lately. Any Recomendations? I have been looking at both used and new.

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #2  
I have a NH TC24 and a Kubota B2910 so maybe I can be a bit of a help. The B series Kubotas are pretty light weight tractors compared to the other brands on the market. That can give them a nice advantage when used as lawn mowing machines and doing other modest homeowner type chores as they don't tend to tear up the yard with excess weight. B series tractors also tend to be a bit smaller than some of the other brands, the B7800/B2910 are among the smallest & lightest in their HP range (Kubota recently changed model numbers to new designations with some feature upgrades). Those advantages create some slight downsides as they have some lower capacities for their FELs but homeowners typically don't see the slightly lower capacities as real problems. The TC series New Hollands have recently been upgraded, they have probably the best FEL design available and excellent capacities. The TCs seem to be middle weight machines, they have great HP to size ratios and the new TC26 packs plenty of power for its size. It has the power to run 60" mower decks with ease, yet is small enough to fit into places that similar power, but heavier weight machines can't get into. All that said, for what sounds like your uses may be (general home landscaping & mowing chores) either brand is great. I like the deluxe 24hp Kubota (B2410) and the comparable 26hp TC26DA. Both are very similar in size, the Kubota being lighter. The Kubota offers a bi-speed turning front end that is very turf friendly when mowing, it is an added cost option worthy of consideration.

Other similar size machines would be Case DX26 (which is identical to the N.H.) and the John Deere 4115.

comparison of NH & Kubota Loaders

However, all that said, I just went and looked at your profile. You have just under 1 acre. I would stick with a TZ or a BX rather than move up to the larger class machines. The reality is that once you build your retainer wall and do a couple other chores, you will really be using the tractor for mowing. I would concetrate on the mowing and get a tractor well suited for that, and would also have a basic FEL to help carry your retaining wall stones.

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #3  
I agree with Bob, the reality is, with about 1 acre to maintain, you would do better with a large riding lawn mower from Sears or Wards or whomever suits you. And contract out the rest with the money you save from not buying a CUT.

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kubotas are pretty light weight tractors compared to the other brands on the market. That can give them a nice advantage when used as lawn mowing machines and doing other modest homeowner type chores as they don't tend to tear up the yard with excess weight)</font>

Very good point Bob. Although my yard is a little larger, it turned out that I wanted a cab tractor with good HP, but I didn't want any more weight than I had to have. Otherwise, I couldn't get the tractor out to use it to mow until almost June! I really wanted a JD cab tractor in the 50 to 60hp range, but they were considerably larger and heavier than the L5030HSTC I ended up buying. I still want more HP at times but, looking out the window at my soaked yard right now, I definitely don't need the extra weight. There's no way I can get even my 5030 with R4 tires out in my yard for weeks now without causing severe rutting damage.

Bob, although they might be a bit "spendy", doesn't PowerTrac and similar companies make something that would work as well? Again, as pointed out, it still may be best to buy a good mower (if so, I'd definitely go with a ZTR mower) and hire out the work.

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #5  
<font color="blue"> but I have made up my mind that these tractors are too small for my wants. (Needs probably suited OK). </font>

This is a key consideration...

With one acre you probably don't want to go too big, and as said by Bob S and others above, you could get by with less than a BX/TZ sized tractor without problem. But you already know that. Your question is about tractor size to satisfy your wants rather than your needs.

So what I say will point at the "wants" issue... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are members here who are happy with relatively large tractors on relatively small plots of land. I always think of Rick Jay, who has a B2910 on 2/3 acre, and loves it. Complete with loader and backhoe! Others have L series tractors on 5 acres, or maybe less.

Myself I have a B2910 TLB and BX2200 on 3.7 acres. Works for me! That's because my "Wants" most likely overcame my needs... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, if I understand your question, you want more than you need, but are not sure how much more than you need you want! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My advice would be to go one step larger than the BX.

The reasons include having more ground clearance (non issue probably), a more standard size 3PH (key consideration in my view), a bit stronger of a loader (can't hurt), option to add a factory backhoe later if you want to (most here love their little backhoes).

I have often thought that now, since I got most of the heavy work done around my place, that if I were to have only one tractor, the best fit would probably be a B7500 sized machine, whatever the current model number is.

That size machine is more tractor than the BX, but not too big and can cut grass pretty well.

The little machines are real tractors, but really are transition machines somewhere between lawn/garden tractors and CUTs.

I still have my old MTD garden tractor around and use it occasionally to pull a little cart. When I get on my BX, it feels more like the garden tractor than like my B2910 for some reason.

My opinion (best guess) is that you need no more than a BX (or less) but you want a B7500 sized machine, and not much (if any) more than that.

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size?
Thanks guys for the input. My "wants" are for future projects as well. I think Henro hit it on the nose. I took the recommendation tour on the New Holland web site. It recommended the TC29DA or the TC33DA. I currently own a Craftsman 15 horse "tractor" but it seems lately that I have more down-time than up-time. Especially blowing snow. I think ground clearance is the issue when it comes to the TZ or BX series tractors. I am looking at the bigger, more heavy duty frames. I have yet to see a TC29 or 35 on any of the local lots. My comparisons have been A TC24DA, then the TC45DA. The TC-30 dont look all that bad either. I did not know anything about the TC26, I will look into that one as well. I've looked at the Kubota B2410, B2710, B7510, and 7800. Will I notice the difference between a 4ft width and the 5ft width, as dealer described between the other Kubotas and the 7800. I was not impressed with the ground clearance on a 1995 B7100 with front blower. Drive shaft was less than 2" from the ground.

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #7  
The TC26 is replacing the TC24. I've not seen the TC26 yet, but from what I can tell it is a TC24 with a goosed up engine. The same can likely be said about the "old" TC21 which is changing over to the TC23. Same machine, more HP.

As for the Kubotas, the B7510 is a nice size machine to take a look at, a bit lighter/smaller than the TC24/TC26 or the Kubota B2410/B2610 class machines.

Dargo, yes Power Trac makes a PT422 and PT425. I didn't recommend them simply because the lack of dealerships. They are nice machines and easily very capable of doing all the tasks and a bunch more too. But in this case it seems like a local dealer is important. On the spendy side but I think more capable than the small BX or small B class machines are Steiners and Ventracs. I'll always throw those out for slopes, although they are far more versatile than simply being considered for those applications. Either brand would also be well suited, but again with the scarcity of dealerships, I figured I'd pass on recommending either.

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #8  
I have a JD 790 w/ 5 acres, which is probably overkill at times, but I love it. Use if for garden tillage, fel, mowing, plus doing projects for friends. If that's what you reallky want, go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #9  
Hey a man's got to have his toys, hobbies. Overkill is good! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Looking to buy my first Tractor? Size? #10  
Last year at this time I was in the same position you are in. I did a lot of internet homework and TBN members were invaluable. I had my sites set on a TC33DA, but it was to expensive for my wallet. I also looked at the B7800 I did not like it as much, weight was a factor. I visited several dealers to get a feel for them. One day I showed up at one dealer while talking to a salesman he showed me a used L3710 ( 2002 68 hrs still under warranty) that had just been taken in trade. L602 loader & woods 7500 BH I bought it for less than the new TC33DA including Quick Disconnect Woods HD bucket with an exchangeable front fork setup. Now the bad side; I was pretty confidant that this was an exceptional find. the previous owner had bought it with turf tires. In my case I'm clearing a house lot the first time I take it to my land I can't get the machine up the hill, I admit I was trying to run on wet clay which did not help but the main problem was the turf tires gave me little ground clearance under the BH subframe. It drove great around the dealers flat lot and the clearance problem never occured to me until it was to late. I ended up trading the turf tires for R4s at another dealer who treated me like gold I will go an extra hour now If I need repairs. The moral of my story is 1.You can't do to much homework. 2. Keep checking dealer inventories. you may be pleasantly surprised. 3. A dealer who wants to keep you as a customer is well worth an extra few miles. The bottom line is I'm very happy with my setup, I probably have more tractor than I need but as Henro says it's not more tractor than I want. Good Luck and Fare Well