Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #1  

kybota

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota L3130hst
There has been some discussion about the Nebraska tractor test on TBN before, but I did not know they were in jeopardy. This sounds like good news about helping people get tractor info:

Striving to Keep Tractor Tests
- 1/24/2005
by Charlene Finck
link to article

If you spoke up to help protect tractor performance testing in the U.S., pat yourself on the back. After reading in Farm Journal about the aggressive push being made by the Iowa-Nebraska Farm Equipment Dealers Association to repeal the law requiring Nebraska tractor tests, tractor owners and farm groups let Nebraska legislators know how important the law is to U.S. farmers in every state. Speaking out changed the momentum of the movement—and the law was saved. The Nebraska Tractor Test Lab continues to test tractors in Lincoln, Neb.

The issue also captured attention from farm organizations, policy makers and other machinery industry stakeholders. “All of a sudden, we realized that Nebraska tractor tests were at risk of being discontinued,” says Chuck Spencer, director of national legislation and policy development for the Illinois Farm Bureau. “We need unbiased, third-party tractor tests to provide critical information to farmers who are making buying decisions.”

The Illinois group got busy and recently persuaded the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF) to adopt language supporting the establishment of a national tractor performance testing law—which would take the place of the Nebraska rule. Spencer and the Illinois folks are now reaching out to other state Farm Bureaus to support the initiative. “We’d like to have a federal format in place that would have the same requirements that the Nebraska law has now,” says Jerry Parkin, John Deere’s director of state public affairs. “We think it’s right to require tractors to be tested. Moving to a national level removes the burden from Nebraska.”

Odd as it may seem, the Nebraska rule requiring that tractors above 40 hp be tested before they can be sold within the state’s borders is the only law mandating performance testing in the U.S. And since the same rule doesn’t exist in neighboring states, Nebraska dealers are at a competitive disadvantage for selling non-tested tractors. Getting a federal rule in place could change that and level the selling field.

“The fact that the regulation could be a non-budgetary item [the lab is self-funded through testing fees] makes it more likely that something can be achieved,” Parkin says.

Even though the AFBF supports that approach, the Nebraska Farm Bureau wants things to stay the way they are. “Nebraska farmers are very proud of the tractor test lab and want to make sure it keeps testing tractors,” says Keith Olsen, president of the group. “What we have in place is working—and has been for years. Plus, there’s always a risk with getting federal rules involved.”

That position is shared by the Nebraska Farmer’s Union and the Center for Rural Affairs.

Regardless of customer opinions, the dealer group still seems determined to make changes in the law. As a part of that drive, Nebraska state Sen. Robert Kremer recently proposed a bill that would raise the horsepower level of tractors required to be tested from 40 hp to 100 hp. A hearing for the bill will be held in late February or early March in the Nebraska legislature. Testimony at the hearing will influence what happens from that point.

Those close to the tractor testing issue universally believe that the bi-state dealer group will continue chipping away at the testing law. That’s part of what is motivating tractor makers to support a national approach to testing. “We favor tractor testing and a federal law that mandates it,” says Rich Nelson, spokesman for CNH. “We’re participating with trade associations on the issue and will work to help make something happen at the federal level.” Like CNH and John Deere, most players in the industry support putting the existing rules into a federal format. However, it is uncertain how that will be achieved.

To gather input from tractor buyers and other stakeholders, the U.S. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Coordinating Committee that oversees the Nebraska testing lab will host a public forum this month (see sidebar). “We want to generate some good discussion and get input on what should be done in the future,” says Richard Job, AGCO engineer and committee member who pulled the forum together. “We want to listen, answer questions and identify the feelings and priorities of those present. It’s a public forum for open dialogue.”

The attention the issue is garnering is a key step toward preserving the tractor performance tests. The action taken—and results—will be watched carefully by Farm Journal and interested parties that literally stretch around the globe. “What happens with the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab and tractor testing in the U.S. will have an impact on OECD tractor testing around the world,” says Ottmar Degrell, who is in charge of the DLG tractor test station near Frankfurt, Germany. “The Nebraska lab not only helps protect farmers in the U.S., but by extension, in other countries.”

Make Your Voice Heard At This Public Forum

You have a chance to make your opinions regarding the future of tractor performance testing in the U.S. known. Mark Feb. 16 on your calendar and meet at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville, Ky. A public forum will be held from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Room 108 of the South Wing Conference Center at the Louisville Fair & Exposition Center.

The forum is hosted by the U.S. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Coordinating Committee, which is the official technical body that oversees performance testing at the Nebraska Tractor Testing Lab in Lincoln, Neb.

In an effort to protect testing for tractors in the U.S., the National Farm Bureau Federation is working toward a federal tractor testing law. At the same time, the Iowa-Nebraska Farm Equipment Dealers Association is pushing the Nebraska legislature to pass a bill in 2005 that raises the horsepower requirement for tractors tested from 40 hp to 100 hp.

Representatives from tractor manufacturers, industry associations and groups involved in the process will be on hand to hear your opinions and answer questions. This is a terrific opportunity to be heard!

Tractor Performance Testing Public Forum
Wednesday, Feb. 16—1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
South Wing Conference Center, Room 108
National Farm Machinery Show
Kentucky Fair & Expo Center
Louisville, Ky.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #2  
I wish they would make it federally mandated. Not only does it put Nebraska dealers at a disadvantage but it also puts dealers at a disadvantage nationwide who have their tractors tested, and not very few do. This would eliminate ALOT of the smaller dealers as they would never pay to get their tractors tested. They also couldn't hide behind their skirts either when saying that their tractor is as good hp and torque wise as another tractor when it's not even close. I definitely think the tests would be a huge eye opener for alot of people. They also should make the tests mandatory and all hp ranges.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news
Based on this article and discussions I had seen about the testing program, I thought it meant that new models had to be tested. Are you saying that the testing is for every individual machine? And is it required for new and used?

When I have more time, I want to read more about the tests, since I may have misunderstood their application. And while I can see why the dealers want to move the limits to 100+ hp machines if they cannot eliminate them entirely, the tests may be more important for the CUTs since you are getting into significant implement limitations with just 5 to 7 hp variances which could represent losses of 25 to 30 percent. Of course, on a percentage basis, if your machine is stated to have 200 hp and tests out 25 percent less, I suppose the effect could be significantly detrimental to your capabilities on a scale we CUT users might have trouble relating to.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wish they would make it federally mandated. Not only does it put Nebraska dealers at a disadvantage but it also puts dealers at a disadvantage nationwide who have their tractors tested, and not very few do. This would eliminate ALOT of the smaller dealers as they would never pay to get their tractors tested. They also couldn't hide behind their skirts either when saying that their tractor is as good hp and torque wise as another tractor when it's not even close. I definitely think the tests would be a huge eye opener for alot of people. They also should make the tests mandatory and all hp ranges. )</font>

I'm not quite sure how the elimination of the tests would be advantageous to the Nebraska dealers, nor can I see how the existence of the tests are a disadvantage.

The lab doesn't test tractors from every dealership in the state, they test one model from each manufacturer, or more than one if they are considering multiple options like FWA. It is my understanding that the manufacturer pays the fees, not the individual dealers.

Here is a sample of a Nebraska Test page: NH TN65

The Nebraska test results have been a great source of information over the years, as they rate PTO HP and fuel consumption under loads for extended times. They used to rate drawbar HP, but I am unsure if that is done anymore.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news
Okay, so they do function the way I thought, only one of each model needs to be tested, this makes more sense.

Also, your link was broken (too many slashes I think). This should work:
Nebraska Tractor Tests Link

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #6  
Sorry I didn't mean to say that it is required for every machine. It's required for every model that is sold. The mfg. would have to have their tractor models certified. Right now very, very few would make it. Not only because of the hp ratings tests but also because of emissions tests. The emissions tests are what are killing the legitimate mfg. The fly by night mfg. don't comply with emission testing and they rarely meet hp spec. claims. Only one model is tested.

The problem, especially in the CUT range is that alot of tractors don't even come close to making rated hp. Alot of them will make the hp at ridiculous rpms, etc. Even if you are trying to compare tractor to tractor it often means nothing because they didn't use a standarized test. Many of the tractors are not even tested and an arbitrary # is just thrown out on how much hp they produce. Also what is left out is torque #'s. Torque in a tractor is even more important than hp #'s.

Awhile back I saw a report that was done by Kubota. They compared a # of tractors and found that only 10% of tractor mfg. actually met their stated hp ratings.

Since there are no standards and no inspections done a tractor mfg. can say and print whatever they want. There is nobody to say that the tractor does or doesn't do what they claim. That was the original purpose for the Nebraska tests to hold mfg. accountable.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #7  
Richard, based on what I saw in regards to machines being tested none of the manufacturers are having CUTs tested.

Other than the Chinese cheapies most of the companies are producing an excellent product these days in their CUT lines.

What is really hurting some manufacturers is that they have priced themselves out of the market where the greatest growth can occur, that is the small utility/CUT market.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #8  
<font color="red"> Richard, based on what I saw in regards to machines being tested none of the manufacturers are having CUTs tested.
</font>

No you're right they aren't tested and they sure should be!!! It's not just the cheap chinese imports that are fudging #'s either.

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #9  
When I researched this awhile ago, I didcovered that there are a couple of alternate testing organizations and facilities outside of the US. I can't remember the name of the organiations right now, but I do remember that many of the Japanese machines were tested by them. I thought that Nebraska accepted these outside results (but my memory could be wrong). What I do remember is that the Ford New Holland 2120 which is rated 43 gross hp and 34.5 pto hp was rated that way by Ford so that it fell just short of the 40 hp and up testing requirement. Again, I don't quite remember but from these numbers it must be net or drawbar hp that must exceed 40 to require testing. The actual hp of the 2120 exceeds its ratings.

Andy

/ Nebraska tractor tests and comparisons in the news #10  
<font color="red">Japanese machines were tested by them </font>

Yes they do and Kubota is very good about their #'s.