Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #1  

GATC35

Gold Member
Fayetteville, Georgia now should be GATC45
Tractor
New Holland TC-45D
A question for all dealers. Do you NOT make any money selling attachments ? On the way home from work today I stopped at 2 different tractor dealers to price a 6 ft. box blade. The local John Deere dealer would not even come outside when he saw me looking at his box blades. He wasn't with another customer, or on the phone. He just sat there at the parts counter and watched me walk around his box blades and rotary cutters. When I came into the store he had a take it or leave it attitude. I asked if he would knock some money off if I bought two or even three attachments at the same time. His reply was "NO", the price is the price period. I actually have my own trailer but was just curious to see what he would do with the delivery charges. One implement delivered to my house 15 miles away would have been $50.00. So I asked if I bought the box blade, rotaty cutter, and a disc harrow what would be the delivery charge. I almost fainted when he said $100.00. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm buying almost $2000.00 in attachments and he won't even deliver them.

So I'm off to the next dealer, AGCO. After walking around outside for 20 minutes, with no one coming outside, I go in to the parts counter and ask about a box blade. The guy pulls out a book and gives me a price that I know is way too high. So I told him that was a really high priced compared to the other comprable box blades. He said he was only the parts guy and really never sold implements. I asked to speak to a salesman and he said the sales guy was busy and didn't want to be bothered. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So whats going on here folks ? Is it no money to be made selling attachments ? Are they keeping the attachment so they can sell everything as a package ? Are they affraid if they don't have a particular attachment to fit a new tractor they will lose a sale ? I don't understand this mentality.

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #2  
I will just give you my experience...

We stock a very large amount of equipment compared to most dealers. I know some dealers that stock 4 or less pieces of each equipment (that only leaves room for about one of each size). My thinking is that there is some money to made on equipment sales, you will never get rich that way but money is there. Many people come to us because they know we probably have the exact piece they are looking for...not what the dealer wants you to buy.

Problem for us has been that in the past year the price of steel has gone so far up that we are increasing our prices every time we turn around. Sometimes when we sell a unit (for what would normally be a good margin) we can't even buy another unit for the same price, our cost!

Thats just where the market is. I think its ashamed those salesmen didn't come out there to help you and that they weren't willing to budge on price...good luck shopping!

-Nate

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #3  
The reactions at the two dealerships makes it obvious why they have their implements priced so high. They need one sale to balance all the sales they miss by their sorry attitudes.

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #4  
I would skip the "in person" visits and call one of the advertisers here. They have great prices and products and you can just place the order over the phone, and feel pretty sure the pricing is real good...

Ducati

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #5  
GATC35, I am sorry for your bad experience. I have no connection with the sales department at our dealership except trying to live up to some of the claims made by some of our sales people. True, there is not a lot of mark up in Consumer (lawn and garden) products. Most of the customers we serve in our area are my friends and neighbors. I will and have gone the "extra mile" and delivered new and used Consumer equipment with my personal pickup and trailer on my own time, at my own expense without charging a dime. Being in the service department, I feel that it is my responsibility to take care of the dealership customers. Just because a person bought an L100, they are no less important than the customer that bought a 9520 four wheel drive. Even if I don't personally know a person that comes into our dealership, I try to meet and greet them as I would a friend or neighbor. These "horror" stories about many dealerships makes my blood run cold. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #6  
And maybe we don't know the whole story either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #7  
No is your answer not on implements, not on tractors not on service and lose money on warranty work. Hat sales is their main profit center. It is a tough life being a dealer. and you want friendly service a little discount and probably a FREE! cup of coffee. you should be ashamed of your self!!

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #8  
My poor dealer must be going broke! He GAVE me a hat /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #9  
The more I read some of these post, the more I realize I got a really good dealer. I get free pick up/delivery on the tractor for warrenty and service work. I bought 4 implements from him after I bought the tractor. Not only did I get a fair price but they were delivered free as well.

Oh, and I got two free hats. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rodger

/ Dealers..Do you NOT make money selling attachments #10  
<font color="blue"> So whats going on here folks ? Is it no money to be made selling attachments ? Are they keeping the attachment so they can sell everything as a package ? Are they affraid if they don't have a particular attachment to fit a new tractor they will lose a sale ? I don't understand this mentality. </font>

Mark, I don't know what is going on with those dealers. I can tell you for a fact, that those type dealers are what "Drive" our internet sales. We hear horror stories like yours everyday from blowed off customers, nationwide.-Ken Sweet