Ag tires vs Industrial tires

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #1  

jwk

How does the traction in mud compare between Ag tires vs. Industrial tires? Initially I will be doing mud work (clearing, grading, etc), and long term I would be mowing a lawn. So I'm thinking about Industrial tires for a tractor, but am worried about the lost traction in mud. tractor will be 4WD.

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #2  
R4's wont be anywhere near as good as ags in mud. but a set of chains will make them better.

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #3  
John, I'm sure that you'll get many different answers to this but it'll end up being how much of your intended use will be in the mud. I'm in Boerne 30 or so miles west of San Antonio and its seems like we've moved to Houston as every time it starts to dry out it rains again. I've got a new Kubota M9000 90HP urethane foam filled R-1's, weight with FEL and Box Blade is around 12,000lbs which in terms of most on this site is a big tractor but on an Ag only site it is marginal to small. I have been using the FEL and a grapple a lot since November and being constantly in the mud with the amount of slipping I'm doing with loaded R-1 Ags I'd say in or around Houston unless most of your long term use will be mowing your lawn (you didn't say what size tractor your looking at) you better look hard at R-1s although since you are planning on mowing lawns they make some pretty agressive industrials that you might get by with. I'm not sure any tractor in or around houston would be completely free of track marks with as wet as it is most the time and R-1 and industrials are both going to leave tracks where a set of turfs might be OK since they are a lot smoother and fatter. My brother lives back in Houston after a 15 year stint in New Orleans and he said lately his water table is higher in Cinco Ranch than it was in Louisiana.
Steve

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #4  
There is no comparison between the two in mud. The R-1s win hands down.

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #5  
John, it really depends on what you are going to do with your 11 acres in the long term. As others have said, the R1's will have much better traction. If you are going to have a small lawn and do other things with the rest of your property, then get the R1's and a lawn tractor to mow. If you are going to have an 11 acres lawn (gads.... what a horrible thought /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif), then get the R4's and a set of chains. Think and act long-term. You can always find a way to deal with the short-term.

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #6  
I have a tractor (2WD) with Ags and another (4WD) with industrials. I was very surprised at the lack of traction of the R4s. I will be purchasing chains.

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #7  
I'm up here in N Texas with 50 acres, and for the past 5 years I've been running my Kubota with the Industrial tires. I use the tractor to mow pastures, move round bales from storage area to the cows, do various rock jobs on both roads of mine and move dirt around. In order to get from where my round bales are stored, to where I put them out for my cows, I have to cross the drainage leadin for the smaller tank of my two. With all the rain we've gotten last year and this year so far, that's a real swampy and wet area. I have no problems at all, every other day, going to get a round bale, and then coming back across that area again with the round bale for my cows. I've never used chains either. I do keep it in 4WD all the time though.

I've got a new Montana 5740C tractor being delivered this afternoon and I ordered it with Industrials rather than Ag tires. That's how much I like them.

I lease and mow another amount of acreage up the County Road from my place, so I ride the tractor up there to mow too.

I've never had a problem one from my Industrial tires and IF you'll be on any amount of hard surface at all, for any appreciable amount of time, you'd be better off with Industrials since they won't wear down like the Ags will on the dirt/rock roads.

/ Ag tires vs Industrial tires #8  
I had R-4's on my tractor the 1st year I owned it and I decided the 2nd year I was going to have to make some changes,bought the R-1 tires and NO comparison in traction...the R-1 tires are far superior for best traction.