3.5 acres, what do i need?

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #1  

berettafan

We are building a home on 3.5 acres of fairly flat land. The lot was previously tilled and will need to be bushhogged, tilled and seeded to get the lawn going (learned that on this site!). In addition i will need something to cut said grass with as well as maintain a 200' gravel drive. Also might need to excavate a site for a pole building (don't know anything about doing it but if i can and it saves money, well that's a deal).

What size tractor should i be looking at? Seems like the 4010 and TC24 are neat sizes but can they do what i need?

Also, would a rear 'dirt bucket' be a reasonable alternative to an FEL for a few years (gotta save bucks where i can! )?

I'm thinking a tractor with used bush hog, finish mower (next spring), roto tiller or discs (which is better to prep for seeding?) and dirt bucket should do a lot of the landscaping work i need. Oh yes and maybe a box blade?

Thanks for your input as i am a total newb and know very little about tractors other than i think i need one! Got the idea thinking that maybe i can save some money (driveway, seeding) by doing things myself and get a neat toy out of the deal.

Erik

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #2  
For 3.5 acres, I'd look real seriously at a Kubuta B7500 series machine with a loader. That Kubota would handle a 60" rotary cutter as long as you use some common sense.
The Deere 4010 (or a little bit bigger) or the New Holland you mentioned would also fit quite well.

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #3  
I work 3 acres, clearing underbrush and a lot of leveling, with a B7510. I have a loader, 4' box blade, and 4' bush hog. The B7510 seems about right for the things I do but I am not in a big hurry since it is more of a hobby than something I am really trying to get done quickly.

While the cost of the FEL is significant, it is a very worthwhile invesment. I used an 8N for the first 3 years with only a box blade and will never be without a FEL again.

BTW, finding a used bush hog was virtually impossible, at least in East Texas. I watched the local advertising paper for years and never found one. And the few used ones I saw for sale on the side of the road were not worth anything, completely worn out.

Bill Tolle

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #4  
I moved into 7.5 acres this summer. I think about 4 acres are wetlands so in terms of area that i need to work we have about the same. This is a complex question but I think the most important variables are.

1) What is the climate of your area. Im in New York state so snow removal is important. Moving logs from distant parts of the land to the house is heavy work working on semi wetland requires power.

2) Economics Buying a new house is expensive so cash flow is a consideration What is the time horizon on your investment. Once you have finished the heavy work will the resale value hold up.
3) your age and health I didnt realize how useful the fel would be in moving equipment and stuff around. I have to consider my back and with out the fel I would have been really stuck at times.

4) Pleasure in owning finally a machine that will constantly surprise in what it can do.

Needless to say I ended up buying a JD 2210 Expensive yes a little self indulgent perhaps, but Im looking forward to working on the yard next year.
I have purchased so far a post hole digger I have fencing to do and have planted some fruit trees
a 62c mowing deck
a potato plow for ditch digging
a back blade not bad for the snow but somewhat awkard.
a box scraper I think this will be really useful for land leveling
The FEL the uses for which are unending.

Best of luck

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #5  
1st OF ALL WELCOME TO THE FORUM. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif AND 2nd ,not knowing what area of the country you are in, will snow plowing be a factor? i also suggest that you get something with FEL . i use a GARDEN TRACTOR TO CUT MY house lawn and my b2400 with RFM for fringe areas.

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #6  
I have 5 acres, 3 of it gets mowed. I use a Cub Cadet 5234D sub-cut, diesel, 4wd with a 60" mid mount mower. It's in the same class as the JD 2210, Kubota BX, of which I tested both of them and decided on the Cub. They're all very good tractors.

Anyway, I use a King Kutter 6' rear blade for snow removal on a 500' driveway, a 5' Woods rear blade to scrape sod, dirt, gravel, etc...A 24" dirt scoop (poor man's loader), 4' standard duty KK box blade and a 9" post hole digger. The tractor can handle a 42 to 48" rotary cutter and a 52" tiller. I have a few pictures of my Cub in the Photos section with the 6' rear blade attached under "other brands" then go to Cub Cadet.

I'm sure for 3.5 acres a sub-cut would be plenty of tractor especially in the long term. For really big jobs you could rent the equipment. You'll get a lot of good ideas and opinions on this website.

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #7  
Your on the right track.. you need a scut.. ( and not a lawnmower ). However there are a few options. For instance.. a 4' or 5' finish mower for a tractor is actually more expensive than a dedicated economy grade mower.. however.. mowing 3.5 ac on a lwanmower is going to retire it way early.. pluss it would take you forever.. so the finish mower may be just the ticket. Alternately.. you could designate say.. 1/2 acer as 'finish' lawn.. get a murray 800$ 42" cut lawnmower from wallmart.. and then just use your rotary cutter to maintain the rest. A good sharp and maintained rotarty cutter will cut a decent shaggy looking lawn.

A rear scoop is decent for moving mulch and dirt for landscaping.. obviously a fel is better.. etc. Box blade is like a swiss army knife.

You may even consider a used or older tractor that has all the options you want as opposed to new.

Lotsa antiques in the 3-6k range with loaders.. etc. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soundguy

/ 3.5 acres, what do i need? #8  
First I have to say, "Yes." A NH TC24 will do everything you are wanting to do. I have one and have done basically all of the task that you want to do. I also have a dirt scoop that someone gave me that I've used a couple of times - why when I have a FEL? Load it up and it makes a pretty decent counter weight. PITA trying to dump it, I'll stay with the FEL where I can push a lever and the dirt falls out. Another thing you might want to consider, right now NH is running 0% for 48 months on the 24. Might save you some bucks over the others - maybe enough so you could get the FEL now. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif